Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks a mill for that Bananaman, great info there. Thanks for the adidas online tip too :-)

glasso wrote: »
    Took a punt on these - should get them tomorrow.
    9oz training shoe, 4mm drop

M43717_01.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

http://www.reebok.ie/reebok-z-electrify/M43717_580.html

thought that these were horrible at the outset as the sole felt so so hard (but does offer protection for your feet all the same) but stuck with them for a run every now and again. they finally softened up after a about 50 to 60 miles. those miles were not the most enjoyable but they are usable now but not the best running shoes that I ever had by any means. still could be worth a punt if you can get them in your size (fit true to size) on reebok.ie and like a solid feeling underfoot as opposed to a very cushioned one. one upside of the solid type of eva foam that they use here is that the durability of the protection would be high I'm guessing and last for lots of miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just breaking in a pair of Saucony Kinvara 6 shoes, that I picked up in the US. They seem to be continuing the trend of the 5. They're light, forgiving on the road and I'll be lucky to see 100 miles on the clock before my big toe pops out. Worth mentioning that they're also a tighter fit than the 5, so probably could have gone a half size bigger, but they're gradually loosening out (60 miles in). Also picked up some Saucony type A6. Only three miles done so will reserve judgement, but also a tighter fit than I'm used to (or my feet have grown in the last week!).

*cough* embarrassed *cough*. It appears I was entirely wrong. Though I ordered a pair of Kinvara 6, they shipped me the Kinvara 5, which is what I've been wearing merrily for the last couple of weeks. So please disregard my comments about being 'a tighter fit than the Kinvara 5'. Have now run around 15 fast track miles in the Saucony Type A6 and like the Kinvara 5, they've loosened up nicely. Looking forward to giving them a spin on the road tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

*cough* embarrassed *cough*. It appears I was entirely wrong. Though I ordered a pair of Kinvara 6, they shipped me the Kinvara 5, which is what I've been wearing merrily for the last couple of weeks. So please disregard my comments about being 'a tighter fit than the Kinvara 5'. Have now run around 15 fast track miles in the Saucony Type A6 and like the Kinvara 5, they've loosened up nively. Looking forward to giving them a spin on the road tomorrow night.

Well, I have a genuine pair of Kinvara 6s what I got in thatLondon, and according to the sales guy at the Expo, they are exactly the same underfoot, but the uppers have been changed. Apparently there was an issue for some of the foot slipping forward into the toebox, or something similar. So they've put some additional gubbins in on the instep. I shall report on them just as soon as I can bring myself to actually wear them in anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00P0KWS3C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

GO GO GO. I'm certain its an error but thats some discount, it works out at 20 euros in total!!

update; price back up to 114 GB. I got a pair at 10 GB.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Want these, unfortunately not in the bricks & mortar shops yet, just a handful of online retailers.

Inov-8 Road-X-Treme 250
    Inov-8 Road-X-Treme 220

Been looking to find a replacement shoe after the canned the road-X & road-x-treme line last year.
    Thankfully they appear to be making a comeback with a minimal number of road shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

My last two pairs have been Brooks ghost 7 which I like. The problem is that I find they wear away quite quickly. My current pair have about 250 miles on them and the black rubber on the outer heel has already worn down to the midsole. I'm looking for suggestions for a similar shoe that's a bit more durable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone tried out the Kinvara 6 yet? Are the uppers any better? My pair of 5's already have holes in the big toe area, not even 350 Miles on them yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

My last two pairs have been Brooks ghost 7 which I like. The problem is that I find they wear away quite quickly. My current pair have about 250 miles on them and the black rubber on the outer heel has already worn down to the midsole. I'm looking for suggestions for a similar shoe that's a bit more durable.

Not being smart but it might be worth a look at your form. If wear is not even from front to back on a shoe it means you are scuffing the shoe on landing or push off.

Forefoot runners will tear the sole from the front of a shoe, heel scuffers will wear away the heel in no time.

The problem with more durable / tougher rubbers is lack of grip on wet surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Any wearers of Saucony Omni out there?

On my 3rd pair of these and have not been having as comfortable a time in the latest edit of these - was wondering if any similar experiences

Any notable changes to the latest version that might contribute - can't quite put my finger on what's not sitting as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

Just picked up a pair of brooks racers ST and so far so good but need a second pair for training runs
    Would prefer to keep the brooks racers for faster stuff and races.

Thinking of maybe saucony zealot's or brooks adrenaline GT's, any suggestions/recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Anyone on here use the Newton shoes? Especially looking for a bit of feedback on their 'distance' offerings. Have yet to decide on next marathon shoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Itziger wrote: »
    Anyone on here use the Newton shoes? Especially looking for a bit of feedback on their 'distance' offerings. Have yet to decide on next marathon shoe.

I haven't but was thinking about getting a pair on http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/newton-jun15 as they are half price at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I have recently got a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS. I have collapsed arches and also am a bit of a divil for the old heal strike! My last shoes were Mizuno wave inspire, and found them good but I ran the life out of them!

Even so, I feel that the Brooks are a better all around shoe (I tried on newer Mizunos in the shop and the Brooks just felt better on my feet) after having them a month or so, i would recommend them to anyone with similar style to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've just gone and ordered a pair of Takumi Sen 2 after much searching. Hope the site is kosher and that the size is good. I have a couple of Adidas already so have a fairly good idea of size/fit. I had to search all over for the bloody things. Don't know why but they seem to be few and far between. Maybe that's a good sign. I did read one review (I know it's only one) where a guy said the 3 were quite disappointing after the 2. Fingers crossed. I'll report back after a couple of outings.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but lifestyle have women's kayano 21s for €125 at the moment. They're MUCH prettier in real life too. Unfortunately I can't wear them :(

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/restofworld/running-/womens-kayano-21/invt/22124243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

BananaR wrote: »
    Any wearers of Saucony Omni out there?

On my 3rd pair of these and have not been having as comfortable a time in the latest edit of these - was wondering if any similar experiences

Any notable changes to the latest version that might contribute - can't quite put my finger on what's not sitting as well

Agree. I'm on about my fifth pair. First was most comfortable - omni 9 I think. The more recent editions use the progrid sole design, not the Powergrid. Not as comfortable IMO, seems like a harsher ride. Heel drop has reduced too I think. Still a good shoe though, I think, although I don't buy the whole support shoe argument really. Just used to this kind of shoe now. I have a neutral saucony progrid pair too, couple of years old but not used as much, that I like to use for shorter races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Hey. I have been running in Nike Free 3.0 since 2012 and need a new pair! Ive had every variant from v2 to v5. The problem is though nike seem to have lost the plot with their free range and the new 3.0 knitted jumper thingy also has a completely new sole design. I tried one on today and it wasn't nice

Anyone here switched from the 3.0 to something else which gave a silica running experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I decided to buy a pair of Asics DS Trainer 20 last week and went for a their first run yesterday, I have been running in a pair of Adidas Boston 5 Boost. Fit is good with a nice snug feel and hopefully they will stretch a small bit. The shoe feels light and the sole is stiff, So i did find there was a bit of noise when running.
    Overall i found them more supported than the boston's but the feel and spring is much better in the Bostons. So overall i think these shoes will be perfect for longer distance when i start to heal strike due to tired legs.
    And i will stick with the Boston 5's for short distance as they are a very good shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

boydkev wrote: »
    I decided to buy a pair of Asics DS Trainer 20 last week

Where did you get DS Trainer 20 Boydkev?

I can't find them anywhere in a bricks and mortar. Have a voucher that I need to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Djoucer wrote: »
    Where did you get DS Trainer 20 Boydkev?

I can't find them anywhere in a bricks and mortar. Have a voucher that I need to use.

They have them in John Buckley Sports in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

First run in my new Saucony Ride 7's tonight, can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Looking to pick up something reasonable-ish in price, not sure where to even start so hopefully Boards can push me in the right direction!

Currently using a pair of Nike Fitsole Lite 2 (http://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-fit-sole-lite-2-mens-running-shoes-211444 <- these yokes in a different colour), find them comfortable and am considering just picking up a second pair 'cos they seem quite cheap on Sports Direct.

But, I see everyone talking about Saucony, Mizuno, etc. and my heads in a bit of a spin! I do about 8km road running in one go at the moment, so it wouldn't need to be as durable as some other posters. I am heavy on the shoe so they would need to be good on that front.

EDIT: Also - any recommendations on where to look/buy? Im based in Cork so any shops in the city would be great, or just decent websites that you might get a bargain, older season stock that still does the business, etc. Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Picked up a pair of Mizuno Hitogami 2 in AK last night (€95).

Looking for something to use for longer races (10 Miles to Marathon) and these seem to fit the bill. Interestingly I seem to take a size 9 in these where I'd normally go with a 9.5.

Excellent service as usual.

Have a new pair of Kinvara's on the way now to replace my current pair.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Picked up a pair of Mizuno Hitogami 2 in AK last night (€95).

Looking for something to use for longer races (10 Miles to Marathon) and these seem to fit the bill. Interestingly I seem to take a size 9 in these where I'd normally go with a 9.5.

Excellent service as usual.

Have a new pair of Kinvara's on the way now to replace my current pair.

Are you getting the K's online?

Yeah, though not working out much cheaper due to the exchange rate.

After trying on the Breakthru in store last night kind of thinking I may have preferred those. Similar but 8mm drops.

Yeah, though not working out much cheaper due to the exchange rate.

After trying on the Breakthru in store last night kind of thinking I may have preferred those. Similar but 8mm drops.

Do you mind me asking where, and how much? I looked on sportsshoes.com, and Kinvara were either expensive or not in my size.

davedanon wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where, and how much? I looked on sportsshoes.com, and Kinvara were either expensive or not in my size.

What size do you take? Got them from sweatshop. £75 plus delivery of about £5. Came to €118 I think.

What size do you take? Got them from sweatshop. £75 plus delivery of about £5. Came to €118 I think.

I think they'd be cheaper from a shop, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah probably about the same from the shop.

Advertisement