Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My Shoes at the moment are:

Saucony Kinvara 6: Go to pair for easy runs, also can be used for tempo stuff. I prefer the Kinvara 5 but these are fine.
    Mizuno Hitogami 2: Bought these as a marathon shoe but got injured beofre that, I'd use them for tempo/Mararthon pace work as well as for the actual marathon if that ever comes along.
    Saucony Type A6: USe these for races up to 5K, I've used it for 10K as well but that would be the limit for me.
    Nike Lunaracer: Bought these for longer races a few years ago. They seem a bit too soft or something so don't use them that much any more. Began using them for track sessions last year, fine for that.
    Brooks Pure Connect 2: Got these in TK Maxx last year, not a huge fan of them, they just feel a bit weird on the feet.Very rarely use them at all. If I was going for the Pure range again I'd go Pure Flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

adrian522 wrote: »
    Brooks Pure Connect 2: Got these in TK Maxx last year, not a huge fan of them, they just feel a bit weird on the feet.Very rarely use them at all. If I was going for the Pure range again I'd go Pure Flow.

Have a couple of pairs of those, find them great on trail and on the grass, low profile the sole structure is kind of 'grippy'. Give them a 2nd chance :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have a couple of pairs of those, find them great on trail and on the grass, low profile the sole structure is kind of 'grippy'. Give them a 2nd chance :)

Yeah, I've put about 300 miles on them at this stage, now I just use them for cycling and non running wear.

Maybe once the Kinvaras are done I may go back to them and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I never took to them, it was like standing on marshmellows. I might give them a second chance as I actually like marshmellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Never enough, these mysteriously appeared in my local parcel motel last night ;)

Love these. Have a pair with 300 or so miles on them and tbh I'd say I'll get many more miles out of them. Mine have one green/one pink(or orange?) soles. Will definitely be keeping the eyes peeled for another pair on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Love these. Have a pair with 300 or so miles on them and tbh I'd say I'll get many more miles out of them. Mine have one green/one pink(or orange?) soles. Will definitely be keeping the eyes peeled for another pair on sale.

Have had 2 runs in these so far, one easy 4 miler to break them and a 12 mile mid-week run.
    My jesus they're fierce comfortable, it took me a while to jump on the Boost train, but I've 5 pairs now and I love 4 of them (1 is half a size too small).
    Reckon the Boston could be a good marathon option, a little heavier than I'd like, but the additional comfort vs the Takumi Sen could be worth the trade off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Just picked up a pair of Nike Pegasus 32 for €60 and Brooks Ghost 8 for €67.50 in the closing down sale in Mahers Sports in Cork. Great bargains and not much stock left.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

any recommendations for cheap Brooks/Saucony in the States? My mom is going to be there for a few weeks so planning to get some pairs delivered to her apartment

I think with the way the exchange rate is right now the savings won't be great. I didn't buy anything when I was in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

paulers06 wrote: »
    any recommendations for cheap Brooks/Saucony in the States? My mom is going to be there for a few weeks so planning to get some pairs delivered to her apartment

Apart from the exchange rate, neither of these brands are discounted or at least very rarely and at that usually random styles. Brooks discounted the end of line Pure models and offloaded a lot of older GTS styles that didn't perform as well as expected through TK Maxx at one stage.

You will find cheaper Saucony (€60 / 70 versions of their shoes) but they are just as cheap in Ireland as anywhere else.

If you are looking at Triumph or Glycerin for example the prices on current models are generally the same across all markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Currently running in Asics DS Trainer 20's.
    Very good shoe and have put 300+ miles on them, Sole is starting to wear. Looking at getting a pair of the new DS trainer 21, But cant find them in any shop to try on and see what changes they have made.

Thank you both. Had a shop around and you're both right. There's no value there

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

boydkev wrote: »
    Very good shoe and have put 300+ miles on them, Sole is starting to wear. Looking at getting a pair of the new DS trainer 21, But cant find them in any shop to try on and see what changes they have made.

Same here. Ive had the 18 and 19 versions and found them great. Might chance the 21s. Just wish they kept the blue colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Has anybody tried the new DS Trainer 21, It does not seem to be in any shops and there are also very few reviews of the shoe. I was wondering if they had made any changes from the DS Trainer 20 as i really like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Using the Nike Flex Run shoes. Could do with a changes in the coming months, not too sure what's next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

adidas-avanti-spikes-af5635-main.jpg

Boost spikes!!*drools* seen a pair in white advertised somewhere but can't track them down to buy anywhere. Whatever colour though, I'm getting these soon.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkBR-Ovh8mvmCAMWKZlY0vcaUUp5hCU595cQEXcnjH808xndRE

Asics hyperspeed 7. Ordering these today, my favourite shoe series ever so I have to check out the new version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Picked up the new DS racer 11 and they seem to fit a half size smaller than the 10s. If anyone is ordering online, would advise trying them on first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Has anybody tried the new DS Trainer 21, It does not seem to be in any shops and there are also very few reviews of the shoe. I was wondering if they had made any changes from the DS Trainer 20 as i really like them.

I know your down in Cork, but the Run Hub in Dublin have the new Asics DS Trainer 21, nice looking shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Just picked up the Hoka One One Clayton in the U.S.. Been using them a week now. Awesome response, agile, lightweight. Great for marathons IMO. Kinda like Clifton--meets--Huaka (if you're a Hoka fanboy). Great colours too!

http://www.roadtrailrun.com/2016/03/review-hoka-one-one-clayton-little-less.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Been running for about 2 & a half months now and going to be building up a bit of distance. Have a cheap pair of Karrimor (?? never heard of the brand, got them with a voucher in a discount store over a year ago) and thinking of investing in a decent pair of shoes (€80 to €100 budget).

Did some looking on runners world and have seen a few recommendations for my style. However one brand I didn't see on there is Under Armour (they have outlet in Kildare Village and going up with the OH in a few weeks).

Does anyone have any experience of using these? Really like the look of them but hard to find any reviews.

The pair that fits my budget are(in red): http://www.underarmour.eu/en-ie/mens-ua-micro-g-speed-swift-running-shoes/1266208.html

Really appreciate any feedback.

• Advertisement

If you can at all I'd recommend heading into Amphibian King or Run hub or somewhere similar and getting a gait analysis done and buying the shoes off them, at least for your first time.

When you say " have seen a few recommendations for my style" what do you mean by your style? Can't really comment on UA as I've never used them though.

+1 on getting a proper gait analysis.

My brother wears Under Armour shoes and recommends them - having said that, he has never had his gait looked at, has no idea if he pronates and I think price is the main criteria when choosing shoes is price. He just finished his first marathon and wore the Under Armours throughout the training and hasn't had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

adrian522 wrote: »
    If you can at all I'd recommend heading into Amphibian King or Run hub or somewhere similar and getting a gait analysis done and buying the shoes off them, at least for your first time.

When you say " have seen a few recommendations for my style" what do you mean by your style? Can't really comment on UA as I've never used them though.

Thought there was an Amphibian King store in Limerick at one point but nothing listed there now, will see if there are any other stores around that do this sort of thing.

In terms of style, no real pronation, mid sole strike and medium arches is what I have came up with based on what Runners World listed for each and what I have observed in my runs. I'm 5 foot 9 and about 195lbs at present.

I'm sure any new trainer will be better than what I have now, just don't really want to be going over the €100 mark.

Forgot to mention, I started wearing Brooks runners about a year ago and find them really good value for money. I usually buy from the sale section and pick up a pair for €70-80. They do free courier delivery and free returns too. I've sent back a couple of pairs with no issues. They are all previous generations on sale but great prices if that doesn't bother you.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_ie/sale-landing.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Thought there was an Amphibian King store in Limerick at one point but nothing listed there now, will see if there are any other stores around that do this sort of thing.

In terms of style, no real pronation, mid sole strike and medium arches is what I have came up with based on what Runners World listed for each and what I have observed in my runs. I'm 5 foot 9 and about 195lbs at present.

I'm sure any new trainer will be better than what I have now, just don't really want to be going over the €100 mark.

That store is closed a while, Oranmore,Galway would be the nearest Amphibian King to Limerick now sadly.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    glic83 wrote: »
    That store is closed a while, Oranmore,Galway would be the nearest Amphibian King to Limerick now sadly.

We closed the store in August 2014.

Oranmore is the only one on the west coast and since Christmas we are independent from AK as GottaRun. Same owners, same service with a slightly expanded product range in store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Now on to my second pair of Hoka One One Claytons. Superb shoe for road, but not as robust as the Clifton (Clifton 3 imminent in July, I'll get those anyway) - first pair showed lug damage after about 500 KM (i.e., a month of running for me) which is annoying, but not a show-stopper. Still, I love them - the bigger than usual for Hoka toe box and improved tongue/lace arrangement improves many of the shortcomings of the Clifton. Close, but still not perfect.

Shame the supply chain management of Hoka into Ireland isn't even in the same century as the U.S.'s...

\_(ツ)_/¯

uvox wrote: »
    Shame the supply chain management of Hoka into Ireland isn't even in the same century as the U.S.'s...

It is shocking how bad this company are to deal with from a retail perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Currently running longer\easy stuff in these:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/adidas-supernova-sequence-boost-8-mens

I like them, lots of stability but without any real weighty feeling. Not sure I'd race in them but I definitely like them for long runs and general easy stuff

Using these for faster stuff

http://www.adidas.ie/adizero-tempo-8-shoes/AF6470.html

Lighter shoe but with a good amount of cushioning. I did find that the left arch\instep area felt "lumpy" for a few runs though, maybe they just needed to be broken in. Again, I really like these but I have a soft spot for most Adidas boost stuff.

As with all adidas, tight fitting so these are a half size up from normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Wearing New Balance Fresh Foam Zante 2 for almost everything and I feel they're holding up really well. I really like the uppers, nothing too fancy going on. They just work for me in general.
    Still wearing Kinvaras for racing and the odd speed session.

Advertisement