Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I currently have Asics GT-1000 and looking to get new ones. The Asics have been great. I notice there's GT-2000 and 3000. Are these for different gaits, or are they just upgraded versions of the 1000s? Would GT2000s or 3000s suit someone who used 1000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Picked up yesterday, took them on a 10 mile trot straight out of the box

How are you getting on with the Hyperions? Need a new pair of racing shoes for Berlin and was thinking they might be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bought a pair of Asics Nimbus 17 back in November, €125. They, or rather the next model, are now €180 (clicky).

Haven't bought shoes online before.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am currently running in the Asics DS Trainer 21 and they will need to be changed soon. I have been told to look at the New Balance Vazee Range, But cant find anywhere to try them as nobody here in cork stocks them.
    Has anybody here tried the Vazee Prism or Pace??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

boydkev wrote: »
    I am currently running in the Asics DS Trainer 21 and they will need to be changed soon. I have been told to look at the New Balance Vazee Range, But cant find anywhere to try them as nobody here in cork stocks them.
    Has anybody here tried the Vazee Prism or Pace??

Yes have tried both. They are pretty much the same shoe, the only difference is the pace is a neutral shoe and the prism is a mild stability shoe. The prism would be the closest to the ds trainer. The prism is a lightweight, tempo shoe, softer under foot than the ds trainer. A little wider in the toe box too. I'm a big fan, also the NB zante fresh foam is another option, neutral shoe as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Have had the last 3 versions of the Asics GT-2000s, and am in the market for a second pair of runners. Can anyone suggest another similar runner? Failing that I'll just stick with the tried and tested and get another pair of 2000s.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have had the last 3 versions of the Asics GT-2000s, and am in the market for a second pair of runners. Can anyone suggest another similar runner? Failing that I'll just stick with the tried and tested and get another pair of 2000s.

Thanks

In no particular order:

Brooks Ravenna
    Saucony Guide
    NB Prism
    Mizuno Inspire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Thanks

Adidas supernova sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

paulers06 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with the Hyperions? Need a new pair of racing shoes for Berlin and was thinking they might be it.

Too early to give a full assessment, I've only had them on 2 runs, the 10 miler as above and a 17+ mile run.

First off they are a really comfortable shoe, they feel nice when you put them on, the inner is made of good quality material and the padding around the heel give a comfortable secure fit.

The toe box runs long in my opinion, I'm generally a size 10 (which I have), but I may consider a 2nd pair in 9.5 for shorter races. The 10 is fine for longer stuff or if there's some downhill involved.

These are more stacked than I would normally use, which does potentially make them an interesting marathon choice with their 23mm rear stack height and 13mm forefoot.

The sole feels reasonably grippy and is reinforced where you need it, will obviously need a lot more miles to comment on durability, but I'd place a bet on at least 300miles.

It's nearest comparison in my shoe cupboard is the A6 from a feel, shape and general ride. Although the A6 is 10% lighter with a 4mm offset.

I'd be quite happy doing tempo work and racing HM's in these and the acid test will come when I test on a 20m+ with some MP miles thrown in, but I would look for something lighter for shorter distances.

28917819395_f14603e982_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Has anybody went from the kayano 21's to 22's? found much of a difference? Also what are some other brand equivalents to the Kayanos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Nolars wrote: »
    Has anybody went from the kayano 21's to 22's? found much of a difference? Also what are some other brand equivalents to the Kayanos?

I recently got the 22's. Wore them on a few short runs to break them all although I've never had an issue with new Kayanos before. Sadly something is not right. After about 2 miles the ball of my foot is aching and if I keep running I end up hobbling. No problems in my 21's. I've reverted to the 21's for a week then will try the new ones again. If it's still the same not sure what I'll do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I have the Kayano 21's that are nearly worn out. Need to find a replacement soon to break in for the DCM. Tried the Kayano 22 and found them very uncomfortable. They were noticeably narrower at the toes, I'd have fairly wide feet.

Would also be keen to hear of anyone moving from a Kayano 21 to something similar. I can still source a 21 online at 0.5 size too big but I've One4All vouchers I'd like to use up if i can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

J o e wrote: »
    I have the Kayano 21's that are nearly worn out. Need to find a replacement soon to break in for the DCM. Tried the Kayano 22 and found them very uncomfortable. They were noticeably narrower at the toes, I'd have fairly wide feet.

Would also be keen to hear of anyone moving from a Kayano 21 to something similar. I can still source a 21 online at 0.5 size too big but I've One4All vouchers I'd like to use up if i can!

I bought the 22's after got the wider version on sale, only one short run yet so I cant make up my mind but they feel pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Nolars wrote: »
    I bought the 22's after got the wider version on sale, only one short run yet so I cant make up my mind but they feel pretty good.

Ah I didn't realise they were available in different widths. Can I ask where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Bought a pair of Brooks GTS Adrenalin 15 in Tk Max for 49 euro...bought a bigger size did a 10k this evening, felt nice...
    Girly colour though but who will be looking at me..
    Would of bought the Brooks Transcend but not in my size.
    Never realised you could get such good value in TK Max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bugger, when did you buy them? Might check out my local one to see if there's any there.

Limerick..should of said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

What size did you get?

9's. 8 in ordinary shoes..happy I got bigger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Too early to give a full assessment, I've only had them on 2 runs, the 10 miler as above and a 17+ mile run.

First off they are a really comfortable shoe, they feel nice when you put them on, the inner is made of good quality material and the padding around the heel give a comfortable secure fit.

The toe box runs long in my opinion, I'm generally a size 10 (which I have), but I may consider a 2nd pair in 9.5 for shorter races. The 10 is fine for longer stuff or if there's some downhill involved.

These are more stacked than I would normally use, which does potentially make them an interesting marathon choice with their 23mm rear stack height and 13mm forefoot.

The sole feels reasonably grippy and is reinforced where you need it, will obviously need a lot more miles to comment on durability, but I'd place a bet on at least 300miles.

It's nearest comparison in my shoe cupboard is the A6 from a feel, shape and general ride. Although the A6 is 10% lighter with a 4mm offset.

I'd be quite happy doing tempo work and racing HM's in these and the acid test will come when I test on a 20m+ with some MP miles thrown in, but I would look for something lighter for shorter distances.

28917819395_f14603e982_o.jpg

Thanks for the review. Decided to go for them. Took them out for some tempo work last week and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to trying them out on a longer run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'll definitely try out the Hyperion at some stage. They look like the closest Brooks have come to the Green Silence since it was (shamefully!) discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

rodge68 wrote: »

Did they have many of them? What sizes do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just did one race last June in the hyperion and they were good. Haven't raced since so might try then on temp run on thursday.

Usually go with the brooks launch for tempo and long runs. Have ditched the ghost.

Brooks launch 2 are 32 sterling on sweatshop at the moment, a steal!

HigginsJ wrote: »

Did they have many of them? What sizes do you know?

Def size 8/9/10's..
    Only a couple of pairs of each, but they have other brands also..worth checking out if close by..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Def size 8/9/10's..
    Only a couple of pairs of each, but they have other brands also..worth checking out if close by..

Thanks will pop in Friday after physio for a pick me up or celebration

paulers06 wrote: »
    Thanks for the review. Decided to go for them. Took them out for some tempo work last week and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to trying them out on a longer run
    Sacksian wrote: »
    I'll definitely try out the Hyperion at some stage. They look like the closest Brooks have come to the Green Silence since it was (shamefully!) discontinued.
    Just did one race last June in the hyperion and they were good. Haven't raced since so might try then on temp run on thursday.

Used them tonight for a bit of tempoish on slick wet tarmac, have to say I was surprised with grip, struggling to find a fault with these yet.

Used them tonight for a bit of tempoish on slick wet tarmac, have to say I was surprised with grip, struggling to find a fault with these yet.

I never even thought of them as a tempo run shoe, just a racing shoe.

I do use my Brooks ST racers for track sessions, its a cinder track so don't want to get the hyperion dirty:eek:

Have you tried the brooks launch? They are really good, actually just saw elvery's have brook launch 3 for 60 euro.

I never even thought of them as a tempo run shoe, just a racing shoe.

I do use my Brooks ST racers for track sessions, its a cinder track so don't want to get the hyperion dirty:eek:

Have you tried the brooks launch? They are really good, actually just saw elvery's have brook launch 3 for 60 euro.

Bit on the heavy side for me, using the Adios Boost 2/3 for LSR+

Bit on the heavy side for me, using the Adios Boost 2/3 for LSR+

Is there much support in the adidas boost 2/3?

Maybe I am doing something wrong here: But on on runrepeat it has the lauch lighter than the boost

http://runrepeat.com/brooks-launch

http://runrepeat.com/adidas-energy-boost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Picked up a pair of Kayano 22s - gait analysis person seemed very knowledgeable. First proper test was at the FD10, all good.

Advertisement