Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    [pic of lovely running shoes]

A detailed review of both of these would be very appreciated! I'm thinking of a splurge on something in the New Year.

The Reebok Floatride Run Fast Pro seem more like a classic racing flat i.e. ridiculously light. Which is generally the type of racer I like.

But I'd love to see what one of the v.good (non-Nike) carbon plate shoes would be like to run in.

So, I'd be interested in your opinions on the Adidas vs. the Saucony Endorphin Pro for example.

If you had to go out to race a 5k tomorrow, which shoe would you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sacksian wrote: »
    A detailed review of both of these would be very appreciated! I'm thinking of a splurge on something in the New Year.

The Reebok Floatride Run Fast Pro seem more like a classic racing flat i.e. ridiculously light. Which is generally the type of racer I like.

But I'd love to see what one of the v.good (non-Nike) carbon plate shoes would be like to run in.

So, I'd be interested in your opinions on the Adidas vs. the Saucony Endorphin Pro for example.

If you had to go out to race a 5k tomorrow, which shoe would you pick?

Just arrived today, so I'm yet to try the Adios Pro, but this is my 3rd pair of RRFP and I do have the VF Next% and Endorphin Pros and Speeds.

5k - I've ran the exact same time [16:50] in the Next% (Clonliffe Christmas Cracker) and RRFP (Jingle Bells), Jingle Bells is probably a quicker course, but both have fast finishes, so It's about race management.

I much prefer the lightness of the RRFP and they are surprisingly cushioned for their barely over 100 grams weight. However, you will typically have your race day +1 racing flat soreness, I don't really get that from the Next%.
    Where the RRFP disappoint me is on the track, I really hoped that these would be a great compromise for 3-5k where maybe for a non A race where you wanted to limit the bomb damage from spikes. But the softness of the midsole combined with the give from a track surface just doesn't work, I think you lose too much energy return. If they could figure out how to get a carbon plate in there for < 80 grams extra, they would have a winner.

I have both the Pro and Speeds but find myself constantly reaching for the Speeds, I have to keep reminding myself that I have other runners. If I was to run a marathon tomorrow, I may even pick them over the Next %, I think they would help you retain form better as you fatigue.

Looking forward to taking the Adios Pro for a spin, not sure how durable the sole will be and there are already pics out there for a v2 which may address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

131928750_10222269436119143_7391713326010534042_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=BixFnpDYXSgAX9JDCMH&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=be7f9f3e4897c2965a5f8f0427c047b1&oe=6003AC15

I have those Adidas, but have to wait until Christmas Day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

incredibly helpful review!

Thanks - that's really useful. And very heartening about the Reebok Floatride Run Fast Pro - they sound exactly like the racing flats I usually go for. I've never done a 5k on the track - at the moment, I think I'd stick with spikes but everyone seems to ditching them over 5k on the track right now.

I've also noticed a few people opting for the Endorphin Speed over the Pro so it's interesting to hear you say that.

p.s. Could you start a YouTube shoe review account?? I never know what to make of the shoe review videos because I've no idea of the reviewer's background/ability so it'd be good to see all the new shoes put through their paces by someone local!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Ceepo wrote: »
    A few posters on here have spoke highly of the Saucony Endorphin shoes. Thinking of getting the speed versions.
    I normally were a Nike size 10,
    What the option on Saucony sizing?
    TIA

I’ve always gone with Nike Pegasus and recently got a pair of Endorphin Speeds. Used them for a few interval sessions and then did a 10km TT in them this week. I got an unofficial PB of 8 seconds. I found it easier to lock into a pace with them and stay there. All my mile splits were within 3-4 seconds of each other, which is unusual for me. The one issue I have with them is they aren’t great to use in wet conditions as after the run your socks will be all wet, they let in way too much water. Not a great Irish winter shoe. Saying that I really like them and will be using them for all non easy day runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Slideways

I have not ran in the rain in the speeds I don’t think. I have found traction a real problem with the endorphin pro. I can’t recall if I have ran on wet roads with the speeds yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sacksian wrote: »

p.s. Could you start a YouTube shoe review account?? I never know what to make of the shoe review videos because I've no idea of the reviewer's background/ability so it'd be good to see all the new shoes put through their paces by someone local!

I'd second that suggestion. Should have all the shoes already? Maybe start with best of 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I’ve always gone with Nike Pegasus and recently got a pair of Endorphin Speeds. Used them for a few interval sessions and then did a 10km TT in them this week. I got an unofficial PB of 8 seconds. I found it easier to lock into a pace with them and stay there. All my mile splits were within 3-4 seconds of each other, which is unusual for me. The one issue I have with them is they aren’t great to use in wet conditions as after the run your socks will be all wet, they let in way too much water. Not a great Irish winter shoe. Saying that I really like them and will be using them for all non easy day runs.

Thanks for the response. I certainly won't be looking to run a pb in them,
    I don't run that much anymore so I can pick the dry day's to get out for a run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Decent discounts on adidas online at the moment. Got a pair of SL20 for €76. Boston 9s also discounted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just ordered the Hyperion Tempos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I have those Adidas, but have to wait until Christmas Day :(

Very interested to read some feedback. Seen a few reviews but Adidas normally size up and this is recommended as actual size hmmm

So specifically interested in the fit and vs what kind of foot ye have etc..

Only 3 sleeps :D

Very interested to read some feedback. Seen a few reviews but Adidas normally size up and this is recommended as actual size hmmm

I normally take a UK10, the Adios Pro is TTS, I would have taken 10.5 in the Adixero Adios 1, 2, 3.
    I'm pretty much a 10 in everything else, except the Reebok RFP (9.5), like a nice snug fit for flats.
    Narrow to normal width foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For what it's worth (if of any use to people) I'm a 9 in all pegasus, zoomfly, 4%,epic react and infinity react. I'm a 9.5 in the endorphin pro. I'm a 9.5 or 10 in most adidas. Any Adidas I have where I bought a 9 ended up a little on the tight side. That includes adios 3 and 4, sub 2, Boston.
    NB Fuelcell 9.5.
    Asics and Nike seem to be the only true to size runners for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I did manage to quickly try them on for size before they were taken off me :D Happy to report that they are definitley true to size for me, size 10 . Very secure fit around mid-foot as the tongue is more like a sleeve, and a nice amount of room around the toes.
    I will definitely be taking them for a tempo run early next week so will let you know how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

For what it's worth (if of any use to people) I'm a 9 in all pegasus, zoomfly, 4%,epic react and infinity react. I'm a 9.5 in the endorphin pro. I'm a 9.5 or 10 in most adidas. Any Adidas I have where I bought a 9 ended up a little on the tight side. That includes adios 3 and 4, sub 2, Boston.
    NB Fuelcell 9.5.
    Asics and Nike seem to be the only true to size runners for me so far.
    All goes back to using EU sizes instead of UK for running shoes

Just ordered the Hyperion Tempos!!

These arrived today. Had to run in them, wow they are good. Very light and fast

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Klopp wrote: »
    These runners are brilliant, so comfortable i keep finding myself picking these ahead of my Pegasus 37 for all my runs at the moment. There great for speed workout and internal training, all rounder. Roll on Xmas when i get my Nike Zoom fly.

I gave enough hints to her for the Nike zoom fly but they didn't have my size and ended up getting Nike React Infinity, these were on my list still delighted and still love the Kinvara 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

I gave enough hints to her for the Nike zoom fly but they didn't have my size and ended up getting Nike React Infinity, these were on my list still delighted and still love the Kinvara 11.

The Kinvara's are the everyday, every run shoe for me !!
    Passed 2k miles yesterday, most of them in the Kinvaras !

Did have the Endorphin Speeds on for a 10k y'day...fast and comfortable ...

I love Sauconys !!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I was also hinting at the Vaporfly Next% and Santa delivered, Delighted to get them, Hopefully some races will happen this year to wear them.

Question for other people who have them, Are they a snug fit, I got them in teh my usual size 8 (42.5), They seem quite tight when i put them on, Wondering if i should risk returning to nike and going a size up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

boydkev wrote: »
    I was also hinting at the Vaporfly Next% and Santa delivered, Delighted to get them, Hopefully some races will happen this year to wear them.

Question for other people who have them, Are they a snug fit, I got them in teh my usual size 8 (42.5), They seem quite tight when i put them on, Wondering if i should risk returning to nike and going a size up.

Most people say they're a snug fit. And I would know few who went up a half size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

These arrived today. Had to run in them, wow they are good. Very light and fast

How do you find them in terms of size and fit, I may ask? Any comparison to other Brooks? I know what I am in a pair of Ghost’s but haven’t ventured beyond them and don’t know if fit starts to varies.

Have looked at them previously and never moved but got a voucher from work that I could find a use for myself (and Brooks return policy makes something new worth a punt!)

racersedge wrote: »
    How do you find them in terms of size and fit, I may ask? Any comparison to other Brooks? I know what I am in a pair of Ghost’s but haven’t ventured beyond them and don’t know if fit starts to varies.

Have looked at them previously and never moved but got a voucher from work that I could find a use for myself (and Brooks return policy makes something new worth a punt!)

Hi,

I am a big Brooks fan. Currently have a pair of ghost for recovery , launch for steady and long sessions and now tempo for intervals and tempo.

I love the launch, ghost are good for recovery.
    Tempo are similar to the old hyperion but with the cushion. I really like them.

Size wise, i go the same size across the brook range.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

4Ad wrote: »
    The Kinvara's are the everyday, every run shoe for me !!
    Passed 2k miles yesterday, most of them in the Kinvaras !

Did have the Endorphin Speeds on for a 10k y'day...fast and comfortable ...

I love Sauconys !!

I really like my Saucony and i got them at a great price too. I do want a shoe that is and feels fast for the 5K & 10K hence the reason i had my eyes on the Nike zoom. I'll try the Nike react over the next few days and see how they feel on a fast 10K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Slideways

Had anyone ran in both the Hyperion tempo and the Speeds?

I (foolishly) got a pair of the Hyperion pro and really didn’t rate them. There’s a store offering a decent discount on the tempo and wondering how they compare to the speeds which I love.

Slideways wrote: »
    Had anyone ran in both the Hyperion tempo and the Speeds?

I (foolishly) got a pair of the Hyperion pro and really didn’t rate them. There’s a store offering a decent discount on the tempo and wondering how they compare to the speeds which I love.

The Tempo are a bit of a brick in comparison

Nike streak 7 on sportshoes .com for 74 euro. This shoe is probably out of fashion now compared to other Nike racers but that's a good price for a great shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

MY BAD wrote: »
    Nike streak 7 on sportshoes .com for 74 euro. This shoe is probably out of fashion now compared to other Nike racers but that's a good price for a great shoe.

If not dispatched by New Years eve that price will increase with brexit.

What will we do for cheap shoes going forward?

Runnersinn, running warehouse and alltricks are all other options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

MY BAD wrote: »
    Runnersinn, running warehouse and alltricks are all other options

All those Nike app discounts will be worthless!!

Alltricks I was sceptical about but they worked out well for me with the endorphins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Got a pair of adidas adizero adios 5 there before Xmas in my usual size 10 (Brooks/Nike).
    The fit of the adios 5 seems way too small and while they "fit" the foot is way too stangulated in them.

Before I return them is there a consensus on what size up one should go? Half a size up or a full size up?

Advertisement