Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

I took the Novablast out for their first run yesterday a 5k in the rain, my feet were soaking afterwards and I couldnt get the laces to tighten up too well.

Changed out the laces and added in another light insole for comfort, took them out earlier, I wanted to do a long run today and I wasn't quite sure about them, so I looped back to my house after 5k, to see if I would change them, said I'd keep going and keep going I did.
    Another 37 km later I stopped..no issues, no rubbing, no blisters, no burning..
    Seem to suit a heel slapper like me..
    So all happy here.
    (And a good time)

The size 9 do feel a little bit of a loose fit..8.5 would probably of fitted better.

If I had tried them on in a shop I probably wouldnt of bought them though, going by the inital comfort of them.
    Hopefully they are as durable as they say as this running is turning into an expensive 'hobby'..

Great value for 90 euro, so thanks to the person who linked the Lifestyle link last weekend...

Really enjoyed the Rebel before retiring it. Could do a lot with it - easy, tempo, even speedwork, possibly races too. I probably should have sized up a half size as I found it a little snug in the toe box. Only other minor complaint was the heel of the shoe which seems to have a little plastic support inside the lining which, over time, cut through a little and agitated my heel.

what sort of total mileage did they last for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

4Ad wrote: »
    I took the Novablast out for their first run yesterday a 5k in the rain, my feet were soaking afterwards and I couldnt get the laces to tighten up too well.

Changed out the laces and added in another light insole for comfort, took them out earlier, I wanted to do a long run today and I wasn't quite sure about them, so I looped back to my house after 5k, to see if I would change them, said I'd keep going and keep going I did.
    Another 37 km later I stopped..no issues, no rubbing, no blisters, no burning..
    Seem to suit a heel slapper like me..
    So all happy here.
    (And a good time)

The size 9 do feel a little bit of a loose fit..8.5 would probably of fitted better.

If I had tried them on in a shop I probably wouldnt of bought them though, going by the inital comfort of them.
    Hopefully they are as durable as they say as this running is turning into an expensive 'hobby'..

Great value for 90 euro, so thanks to the person who linked the Lifestyle link last weekend...

I'm up to 400 miles on my 1st pair & haven't retired them yet, still some miles left in them but now getting used to my 2nd pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I had the 34, 35 and 36. Didn't get the 37. The 35 would have been my favourite out of the three. I have a pair of 36 and I use them for easy long runs. Can't imagine using them for anything else. Put the epic react, infinity react and Pegasus 36 in front of me and I'll pick the infinity every time.

That explains a lot so, I buy when they're on offer so I'm typically a few "seasons" behind. I've 2 pairs of 35 in rotation at the moment and a pair of 36 in the back of the wardrobe when they start to wear out. They look almost identical to the 35 so I figured they'd be largely similar feel. The 35 and all previous versions have been my choice for anything from 400 repeats to racing marathons.(with some other flats for racing 5k/10k) Up until last summer it's been very easy to pick up a few pairs for half price in sale on the Nike website but since then I haven't seen them on sale once in my size, hence my testing of the milers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

glasso wrote: »
    what sort of total mileage did they last for?

I'm a terrible guy to ask as I'm a bad judge of when a shoe has reached its end of days. Roughly 400 miles for me but that was driven by the plastic insert in the heel cutting through the fabric and agitating my heel to the point that I decided to retire them. Until that happened I really enjoyed the shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

CR 7 wrote: »
    That explains a lot so, I buy when they're on offer so I'm typically a few "seasons" behind. I've 2 pairs of 35 in rotation at the moment and a pair of 36 in the back of the wardrobe when they start to wear out. They look almost identical to the 35 so I figured they'd be largely similar feel. The 35 and all previous versions have been my choice for anything from 400 repeats to racing marathons.(with some other flats for racing 5k/10k) Up until last summer it's been very easy to pick up a few pairs for half price in sale on the Nike website but since then I haven't seen them on sale once in my size, hence my testing of the milers.
    I found the heal on the 36s a little irritable at the start. But came good. The 36 seemed a bit lighter on the upper which was an improvement. The midsole felt the same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I got 465km out the Peg 35s. Currently on 386km on 36s and I'll barely get another 100k. Dunno how you guys are getting 700+km out of them! Maybe I'm just heavy in shoes. Last time using Nike for easy, steady everyday shoes. Nice shoe, just break down on me too soon and have nothing on adidas or NB for sustainability IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I got 465km out the Peg 35s. Currently on 386km on 36s and I'll barely get another 100k. Dunno how you guys are getting 700+km out of them! Maybe I'm just heavy in shoes. Last time using Nike for easy, steady everyday shoes. Nice shoe, just break down on me too soon and have nothing on adidas or NB for sustainability IMO.

You probably already know but a few ways to extend the life of your runners is to rotate them so you are running on them every other day or more. Keep them away from radiators or the hot press. If wet remove the sole and hang the runner on door handles to dry naturally. The surface you run on is another factor. Heal strikers will probably notice wear quickly or if you aren't lifting your feet so working on your form and kick will not only make you a better runner but save you money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone with experience of Vomero 14s? They should be a good bit quicker than the React Milers, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Anyone interested in NB 1080v10 there's a post gone up in gear and equipment. Size 10 for sale for 50. Great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anyone with experience of Vomero 14s? They should be a good bit quicker than the React Milers, right?

No experience of React Milers, but have about 200km on my Vomero 14's. Find them fine, as mentioned before a little clunky but do the job for easy and long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

My Endorphin speed arrived this morning, too late for my run but I've got a really good feeling about them, just wearing them about the house now. Amazing cushioning and comfort for something which appears so light, lovely bounce off them.

Mine arrived from AllTricks yesterday, luckily while I was home alone so they're now just part of my collection, not a new pair ;).
    Used them this morning on an interval session and I forgot how great they are out of the box. My first pair has about 400 miles on them and are still great, but obviously don't have so much bounce now.

First time I've bought off AllTricks, but I'll definitely use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

My own Endorphin Speed’s arrived Monday, but only got around to giving them a lash this morning. Wanted to have a good proper run in them, free of the distraction of work and the crappy weather. Wore them around the house a bit to make sure I was happy with the fit, as to my knowledge these don’t have the type of trial period that the likes of Brooks or Nike off at the moment. Wanted to be sure they were right! With those colours, aren’t going to last as an everyday shoe! That said, the shoes looked so bright and shiny on such a dull day, I wouldn’t of needed a hi-vis!!).

Lovely first impression. Took a nice steady 5K at about my marathon pace before I belted it for a 2.5K loop (does it make me a prick if said loop was a segment on Strava that I’ve never had a proper crack at?!). What a bounce when you start putting the foot down. Finished off the run with a second lap of that loop before heading home the way I came for a nice 14k run. I had wondered when I first went out did I need to tighten them up or anything. But they really grew into the run.

Lovely bit of kit and nice to have tested the waters with Alltricks as a place to order from.

MY BAD wrote: »
    You probably already know but a few ways to extend the life of your runners is to rotate them so you are running on them every other day or more. Keep them away from radiators or the hot press. If wet remove the sole and hang the runner on door handles to dry naturally. The surface you run on is another factor. Heal strikers will probably notice wear quickly or if you aren't lifting your feet so working on your form and kick will not only make you a better runner but save you money! :D

I rotate 7 pairs!
    I midfoot strike!

However I tend to glide into the strike instead of striking the ground clean, so it scrapes the back outside heel particularly at slower paces :rolleyes:

In terms of form and kick at slow paces my stride is 1.16-1.2m

Maybe I don't left my feet enough.

Mine arrived from AllTricks yesterday, luckily while I was home alone so they're now just part of my collection, not a new pair ;).
    Used them this morning on an interval session and I forgot how great they are out of the box. My first pair has about 400 miles on them and are still great, but obviously don't have so much bounce now.

First time I've bought off AllTricks, but I'll definitely use them again.

How are they vs the Adidas Adios Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Speed all day for me. Did another few MP miles in them today and they just felt great. Maybe their marketing has infiltrated my malleable mind, but I did really feel like I was rolling along, stride felt very smooth. Not the same bounce as the Next% obviously but very enjoyable to run in. The Adios Pro just felt...odd. Each to their own though M! Adidas and me don't seem to mesh...

crisco10 wrote: »
    No experience of React Milers, but have about 200km on my Vomero 14's. Find them fine, as mentioned before a little clunky but do the job for easy and long runs.

Pulled the trigger on these, not expecting to be worlds apart from the React Milers but will be happy if the fit is similar but with less stack height and more aggressive foam (which it should have, mix of zoom and react).

I'll report back with the findings.

Adidas 20% off, use code EXTRA20, SL20's only 52 euros...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

4Ad wrote: »
    Adidas 20% off, use code EXTRA20, SL20's only 52 euros...

Was looking at them but the fookers don't deliver to Luxembourg. Anyway, pulled the trigger on a pair of Under Armour Hovr Sonic 3 instead.

No real idea what they're like, but paid and delivered for 71e.

Lightstrike foam in shoes like the SL20 is a lot less durable that say boost

so with a shoe like that with not a lot of cushioning in it to start with may give up the ghost cushion-wise after not too many miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Ordered Asics Novablast today, 90€ and i used a voucher i got from work for xmas so paid 50, got them to replace my NB fuelcell propel 2 as my daily trainer. Hope they are as good as the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dowling06

boydkev wrote: »
    Ordered Asics Novablast today, 90€ and i used a voucher i got from work for xmas so paid 50, got them to replace my NB fuelcell propel 2 as my daily trainer. Hope they are as good as the reviews.

Was that a One4All voucher btw? Tried using mine but the website wouldn't accept it. Might be because I used the student discount too. Said I'd keep the discount and use the voucher elsewhere.

Anyone find the Novablast's quite large. Im a 10 in Nike's and found the Nova's quite large...Think I'll return them and go 9.5.

dowling06 wrote: »
    Was that a One4All voucher btw? Tried using mine but the website wouldn't accept it. Might be because I used the student discount too. Said I'd keep the discount and use the voucher elsewhere.

Anyone find the Novablast's quite large. Im a 10 in Nike's and found the Nova's quite large...Think I'll return them and go 9.5.

Think you can't part pay with a one4all online (if that's what you were trying), it has to cover the full balance. I've a few myself that I'm waiting to use up in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Think you can't part pay with a one4all online (if that's what you were trying), it has to cover the full balance. I've a few myself that I'm waiting to use up in store.

It was a one4all voucher, so i bought a lifestyle voucher for the 40€ first and then used that voucher as part payment for shoes.

dowling06 wrote: »

They def do run big. I compared the insole size to my Kinvaras, there is a noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Just bought a pair of Ultraboost PB on Adidas.ie, only €85 delivered!

Savage prices there!

This thread is gonna be the death of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

eposhea wrote: »
    Just bought a pair of Ultraboost PB on Adidas.ie, only €85 delivered!

Savage prices there!

This thread is gonna be the death of me

Just looked them up there. The website says to go down 1 size when ordering. That's very unusual for Adidas.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭eposhea

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Just looked them up there. The website says to go down 1 size when ordering. That's very unusual for Adidas.

Yea - someone said the same to me! I bought 11 and usually an 11.5. Worth it with their returns policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

healy1835 wrote: »
    Speed all day for me. Did another few MP miles in them today and they just felt great. Maybe their marketing has infiltrated my malleable mind, but I did really feel like I was rolling along, stride felt very smooth. Not the same bounce as the Next% obviously but very enjoyable to run in. The Adios Pro just felt...odd. Each to their own though M! Adidas and me don't seem to mesh...

For training definitely the Speed. I've used it in every type of training run (except trail, definitely wouldn't wear them on trail) and I'm yet to be disappointed.
    The Adios did feel like I would get more out of it in a race against the Speed though. Personally I found the fit great, the midfoot is really secure, and the added stiffness gave me the impression of more "pop" if that makes sense. Again, not the same bounce as the Next% but I will definitely give them a go in a half or marathon whenever we get to race again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Anyone find the Endorphin Speed a tad slippy in Damp conditions?

I like the grip on the ZoomFly 3 and the Adidas continental rubber is yet to be beaten.

Advertisement