Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone have any advice on the Asics Gel Cumulus 22's?

Will be used as an everyday training shoes anywhere up to half-marathon distance. I usually use Pegasus 37's but want to mix it up a bit.

I have the Asics Gel Cumulus 21 and they're fine, there's nothing wrong with them but I just don't like them as much as I like some of my other shoes so gets over looked, when it comes to it I just gravitate to other (Brooks Ghost 13 or Nike React Miler) shoes for easy runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

ariana` wrote: »
    I have the Asics Gel Cumulus 21 and it's fine, there's nothing wrong with it but I just don't like it as much as I like some of my other shoes so it gets over looked. I intend to use it but when it comes to it I just gravitate to Brooks Ghost 13 or Nike React Miler for easy runs.

The 22s sole is more flexible than the 21, it's a lighter feel on the foot.
    Feels less clunky than your regular Asics shoe, quite a nice shoe for those longer runs.

Asics are slowly moving away from those solid as a rock like shoes, the durability will suffer but the shoes are so much nicer to wear.....

The 22s sole is more flexible than the 21, it's a lighter feel on the foot.
    Feels less clunky than your regular Asics shoe, quite a nice shoe for those longer runs.

Asics are slowly moving away from those solid as a rock like shoes, the durability will suffer but the shoes are so much nicer to wear.....

It's interesting you mention durability. I was looking at my 'retired shoes' on strava recently and I noticed the high mileage on my shoes from when I started running first. I had 5 pairs of shoes (different brands - Brooks, Saucony, Adidas, Mizuno) with between 700 & 1100 miles clocked! More recently I find after about 300m I start wearing them less and less and eventually stop wearing them often with less than 400 miles on them... I was wondering if it's partly boredom & trying to justify a new purchase or if the shoes genuinely aren't as durable as they once were.

It's interesting you mention durability. I was looking at my 'retired shoes' on strava recently and I noticed the high mileage on my shoes from when I started running first. I had 5 pairs of shoes (different brands - Brooks, Saucony, Adidas, Mizuno) with between 700 & 1100 miles clocked! More recently I find after about 300m I start wearing them less and less and eventually stop wearing them often with less than 400 miles on them... I was wondering if it's partly boredom & trying to justify a new purchase or if the shoes genuinely aren't as durable as they once were.

Yes comfort at the expense of durability, Asics and Mizuno would be the brands of durability but are now having to move more towards weight and comfort to be competitive with the other brands....

Brooks are super comfy but the sole wears quicker and the cushion dies quicker....

Always buy your shoes on budget and practicality never on looks or brand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Out of interest, how do you tell when a pair of shoes are ready for the glue factory? For example, I have put ~500km into my latest pair of Peg 37's, the soles have not really worn and I haven't noticed much difference in feel. Is it just a general feeling or are there particular signs you look out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Genuine question, I started jogging and since 1st of Feb I've gone from miserable 45 minute time 5km struggles to 32 minute 5km jogs as of last night.

I've been using Asics gt2000 6 and I've worn the life out of them over the last few years , using in the gym and as a general use shoe.

Taking into account I'm not hitting 10km runs yet and I am a newbie, is there any particular shoe that stands out ?

I was looking online at the Asics Cumulus 22, I would consider myself a neutral running type .

Any tips would be great !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Out of interest, how do you tell when a pair of shoes are ready for the glue factory? For example, I have put ~500km into my latest pair of Peg 37's, the soles have not really worn and I haven't noticed much difference in feel. Is it just a general feeling or are there particular signs you look out for?

Usually when they start to give me pains and aches that they weren’t before.
    I never go by how they look.
    I just went over 700km on Sunday on a pair of Endorphin Speeds, they look fit for the bin but still feel great so I’ll keep wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I've peg37s and like you the shoes havent worn, but I did feel my feet were a bit sore by the end of a long run, got a new pair of react milers and it feels like I am running in slippers now, so I think the cushioning goes before the sole wears out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

italodisco wrote: »
    Genuine question, I started jogging and since 1st of Feb I've gone from miserable 45 minute time 5km struggles to 32 minute 5km jogs as of last night.

I've been using Asics gt2000 6 and I've worn the life out of them over the last few years , using in the gym and as a general use shoe.

Taking into account I'm not hitting 10km runs yet and I am a newbie, is there any particular shoe that stands out ?

I was looking online at the Asics Cumulus 22, I would consider myself a neutral running type .

If you've the time :)

https://www.solereview.com/best-neutral-running-shoes/

I get hot spots on the ball of my feet, well one foot in particular when shoes are wearing down, i guess the cushioning just isn't there any more. Also wear & tear - but this was more obvious in the shoes i wore up too 1100 miles than the shoes I've retired at 400 miles.

• Advertisement

I would expect 500 miles from the Pegs so thats 625kms...

Some people can get over 800kms from the Pegasus if you aren't heavy on your feet.
    A real giveaway is the outsole rubber worn bald and wearing even with the midsole....

GT 2000 is a Stability shoe! But if you are just doing 5k maybe 3 times a week you will be fine in whichever shoe feels good on your foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

GT 2000 is a Stability shoe! But if you are just doing 5k maybe 3 times a week you will be fine in whichever shoe feels good on your foot!

To be honest I didn't even know stability / neutral/ pronation/ heel drop etc existed when I bought them years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I would expect 500 miles from the Pegs so thats 625kms...

Some people can get over 800kms from the Pegasus if you aren't heavy on your feet.
    A real giveaway is the outsole rubber worn bald and wearing even with the midsole....

I had a pair of Peg 35 and peg 36s and got about 300m or 480km out of them both. Outsole worn completely and grazing the midsole.

I have a voucher for Elverys that's burning a hole in my wallet! Any opinions on Brooks Hyperion Tempo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I have a voucher for Elverys that's burning a hole in my wallet! Any opinions on Brooks Hyperion Tempo?

Nice and light shoe. Not the softest ride in the world, so it would depend on what you plan on using it for. I've thrown it in my rotation for slightly more uptempo easy runs, but for faster stuff there's a lot better options out there IMO.

To be honest I didn't even know stability / neutral/ pronation/ heel drop etc existed when I bought them years ago!!

Some shops are doing an online gait analysis. The Run Hub is one i know of. Brooks and Asics both have a little quiz thing on their sites which will tell you what type of shoe suits you. If you don't want to wear Brooks or Asics you can take the information and read shoe reviews to find what shoes that are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

30% off the React Infinity. Although shotgun will curse me for recommending that shoe.
    Zoomfly 3
    20% off the Hoka Rincon 2 although Hoka are a risky purchase by all accounts if you dont have experience in them.
    Asics metaracer if you really want to treat yoself

healy1835 wrote: »
    Nice and light shoe. Not the softest ride in the world, so it would depend on what you plan on using it for. I've thrown it in my rotation for slightly more uptempo easy runs, but for faster stuff there's a lot better options out there IMO.

I have the endorphin speeds. They're a smashing shoe but I want to keep them aside for races. I'm looking for something for sessions and tempo long runs, something that isn't quite the endorphin speed but a bit lighter than my everyday easy run shoe (brooks ghost/nike react miler). I abandoned the turbo 2 a while back and reverted to doing sessions/tempos in my easy run shoes again so in a long winded reply it's them I'm looking to replace.

I have the endorphin speeds. They're a smashing shoe but I want to keep them aside for races. I'm looking for something for sessions and tempo long runs, something that isn't quite the endorphin speed but a bit lighter than my everyday easy run shoe (brooks ghost/nike react miler). I abandoned the turbo 2 a while back and reverted to doing sessions/tempos in my easy run shoes again so in a long winded reply it's them I'm looking to replace.

Buy the metaracer. Keep them for races and switch the speeds to your fancy training shoe! Win win.
    I'd have several suggestions but if you're limiting yourself to Elverys it narrows down the choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Buy the metaracer. Keep them for races and switch the speeds to your fancy training shoe! Win win.
    I'd have several suggestions but if you're limiting yourself to Elverys it narrows down the choices.

Just a caveat on the MetaRacers. Since I've gone shoe crazy in the absence of track + xc, I'm starting to now realise what people mean by cushioning + responsive!

The MetaRacers are definitely more of a 'ground feel' shoe. I don't have the Speeds but they're listed as having a much higher stack than the MetaRacers. Speeds are 35.5mm heel / 27.5mm toe vs. 24mm in the heel and 15mm in the toe for the Metaracer, so it's a lower profile.

I like them (and they do look good) but they're probably expensive for what they are - given that they're more expensive than the Speeds and opinion seems to be fairly unanimous on the Speeds. I'll buy another pair because the most important thing for me is finding a shoe that I like the sizing in and these are comfortable for me.

I like the Hyperion Tempo - I use them for sessions but I'm happy to use anything for easy runs so they're a step up from my everyday shoes. Possibly also a little expensive for what they are (I'm recalibrating my price expectations based on my recent experience with the Adios Pro!).

If you can get the Tempos for < €150 and you like Brooks sizing/fit, then go for them over the Metaracer, I would think, simply for value for money. The MetaRacer is faster/more comfortable than the Tempos (IMO!) but if you like the Speeds, you might as well buy another pair of them as buy the MetaRacers.

Sacksian wrote: »
    If you can get the Tempos for < €150 and you like Brooks sizing/fit, then go for them over the Metaracer, I would think, simply for value for money. The MetaRacer is faster/more comfortable than the Tempos (IMO!) but if you like the Speeds, you might as well buy another pair of them as buy the MetaRacers.

Good input on the metaracer - useful to know for when I inevitably buy a pair!.

In relation to ariana buying another pair of Speeds it seems like we are limited to Elverys for our advice and they dont have the Speeds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A potential application for Metracer is longer track races as the are track legal.

Good input on the metaracer - useful to know for when I inevitably buy a pair!.

In relation to ariana buying another pair of Speeds it seems like we are limited to Elverys for our advice and they dont have the Speeds :(

Just looking forward to getting back to not having an opinion on expensive road shoes - so much easier when I just have one fixed run-of-the-mill daily shoe and cheap spikes for everything else!

Now, if someone could get me a pair of the New Balance FuelCell MD-X spikes, I'd change my mind....saw a pair on E-Bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Balance-FuelCell-MD-X-Carbon-Spikes-/265067135248

PREVIOUSLY WORN!!

€799.99

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    A potential application for Metracer is longer track races as the are track legal.

That was one of the reasons I bought them (24mm) but they seemed to be missing from the last shoe compliance list I saw from World Athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

20% off the Hoka Rincon 2 although Hoka are a risky purchase by all accounts if you dont have experience in them.
    Asics metaracer if you really want to treat yourself

Just curious why would the Hoka be risky? Just I've had no issues.
    I have the Metaracer and Hoka Rincon 1.

If pushed I think I would go for the Rincon over the Metaracer just for the feel of them for training.

I use a few pairs of Asics (Kayano 24,26,Novablast,Metaracer) and Hoka (Arahi3,4,Rincon 1,Torrent 1) and can move between them with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sacksian wrote: »
    That was one of the reasons I bought them (24mm) but they seemed to be missing from the last shoe compliance list I saw from World Athletics.

Same here, I've used the Reebok RFP, and while they are super comfy and light I have found that the combination of a forgiving midsole and forgiving track leads to a noticeable energy loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Asics GT 2000 - used these for my daily runner for 3 years and am terrified to change so just keep using them

Alphafly for racing ( if and when)

sav1 wrote: »
    Asics metaracer if you really want to treat yourself

If pushed I think I would go for the Rincon over the Metaracer just for the feel of them for training.

I use a few pairs of Asics (Kayano 24,26,Novablast,Metaracer) and Hoka (Arahi3,4,Rincon 1,Torrent 1) and can move between them with no issues.

I just know a few people who have had issues with the reduced drop on the Hoka. I dont know if its across the board for all Hokas but my understanding is several Hoka are 5mm drop or less. Generally people are used to the regular 10-12mm drops . Thats being very general though.

• Advertisement

sav1 wrote: »

I just know a few people who have had issues with the reduced drop on the Hoka. I dont know if its across the board for all Hokas but my understanding is several Hoka are 5mm drop or less. Generally people are used to the regular 10-12mm drops . Thats being very general though.

Yeah the lower heel drop can be hard on the achilles and/or calf muscle especially if there is already any underlying weakness there.

I tried the Clifton 6 and didn't like them. I used them as a walk shoe though and they got great wear during the past year with lockdowns and school closures as I've been dragging the kids out for daily walks.

Thanks for all the input folks - I appreciate it, i'll have to re-read to digest it all. Sacksian buying another pair of Speeds would definitely be my choice if the voucher didn't limit me. They really are a class shoe and the new colour way is a lot more practical.

Advertisement