Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah the lower heel drop can be hard on the achilles and/or calf muscle especially if there is already any underlying weakness there.

I tried the Clifton 6 and didn't like them. I used them as a walk shoe though and they got great wear during the past year with lockdowns and school closures as I've been dragging the kids out for daily walks.

Thanks for all the input folks - I appreciate it, i'll have to re-read to digest it all. Sacksian buying another pair of Speeds would definitely be my choice if the voucher didn't limit me. They really are a class shoe and the new colour way is a lot more practical.

Throwing it out there but outside of whats available in Elvery's - the NB Fuelcell TC is a lovely shoe for long tempos if thats what you're looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Yeah the lower heel drop can be hard on the achilles and/or calf muscle especially if there is already any underlying weakness there.

I tried the Clifton 6 and didn't like them. I used them as a walk shoe though and they got great wear during the past year with lockdowns and school closures as I've been dragging the kids out for daily walks.

Thanks for all the input folks - I appreciate it, i'll have to re-read to digest it all. Sacksian buying another pair of Speeds would definitely be my choice if the voucher didn't limit me. They really are a class shoe and the new colour way is a lot more practical.

If you are looking for a shoe that can do a little bit of everything from 10k pace- tempo-MP-LR-ER, and something thats available in Elverys, I would give the Asics Novablast a look at. Light and "bouncy". Some find them a little unstable due to the stack height but it hasn't been a problem for me. Pretty versatile shoe. I haven't tried anything faster than 10km pace in them myself, but found them good for tempo effort and anything slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sacksian wrote: »
    That was one of the reasons I bought them (24mm) but they seemed to be missing from the last shoe compliance list I saw from World Athletics.

Yep, that's a no
    https://www.worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/list-of-approved-competition-shoes-published

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi all

I got a pair of Asics Dynaflight last year but when I start upping the running over the last few months I found myself constantly with blisters on the sides of balls of my feet (example here: https://runningyourbody.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/photo-1.jpg?w=225&h=300 (not my feet!)).

I initially thought it could be my socks so used a few pairs of my wool socks for hiking etc but I think I have now realised it's due to the runners.

The side wall of the runners is fibre rather than rubber and when I'm standing in the runners I can kind of feel the ball of my foot creep over the edge of the foam sole (and because the wall is fibre they allow that to happen). And so that results in a bit of a "pinch" which I think is the source of the problem. I don't think I have particularly wide feet in general and the size of the runners is right and I have always been the same size.

So does anyone have a good recommendation for a runner that would solve that problem? Or should I be waiting to go into a store to get some kind of analysis done on my feet? Mostly road running from 10-30km, some trail running in parks too.

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hi all

I got a pair of Asics Dynaflight last year but when I start upping the running over the last few months I found myself constantly with blisters on the sides of balls of my feet (example here: https://runningyourbody.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/photo-1.jpg?w=225&h=300 (not my feet!)).

I initially thought it could be my socks so used a few pairs of my wool socks for hiking etc but I think I have now realised it's due to the runners.

The side wall of the runners is fibre rather than rubber and when I'm standing in the runners I can kind of feel the ball of my foot creep over the edge of the foam sole (and because the wall is fibre they allow that to happen). And so that results in a bit of a "pinch" which I think is the source of the problem. I don't think I have particularly wide feet in general and the size of the runners is right and I have always been the same size.

So does anyone have a good recommendation for a runner that would solve that problem? Or should I be waiting to go into a store to get some kind of analysis done on my feet? Mostly road running from 10-30km, some trail running in parks too.

Many thanks in advance!

I used to get exactly that from a previous version of Brooks Ghost (12 iirc). You just need a shoe with a wider toe box (or possibly size up). I read reviews of shoes before I buy them and for example the reviews for the Ghost 13 stated that the toe box is wider than it's predecessor and sure enough I've had no such problems with it and I got it in the same size as the 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I used to get exactly that from a previous version of Brooks Ghost (12 iirc). You just need a shoe with a wider toe box (or possibly size up). I read reviews of shoes before I buy them and for example the reviews for the Ghost 13 stated that the toe box is wider than it's predecessor and sure enough I've had no such problems with it and I got it in the same size as the 12.

Thanks - I'd be afraid to size up in case I ended up with slippage in other areas like the heel but I'll check out the wider toe box. I was thinking it might just be the wall of the shoe. I used to have an old school pair of Asics back in the day, unsightly but really did the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Thanks - I'd be afraid to size up in case I ended up with slippage in other areas like the heel but I'll check out the wider toe box. I was thinking it might just be the wall of the shoe. I used to have an old school pair of Asics back in the day, unsightly but really did the job!

This is the site i use for reviews, it's fairly comprehensive and will mention the fit of the shoe which is what you're interested in here. Some brands are known or at least used to known for having a wider toe box (Mizuno is one) but for the most part you will need to read into the specific model rather than the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Has anyone used StockX? First time and I've made a bid but haven't heard any reply so not quite sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

https://youtu.be/w25NwW8jaXA

The New Arahi, love this shoe, not a huge fan of Hoka but really like the Arahi....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Where are people ordering from now?
    I bought before with StartFitness but now they are saying you will be liable for duty and they have taken off the UK duty when it is in checkout?

• Advertisement

Where are people ordering from now?
    I bought before with StartFitness but now they are saying you will be liable for duty and they have taken off the UK duty when it is in checkout?

Alltricks
    Runningwarehouse.eu
    365rider (I havent ordered from there but know someone who has without issue)

If anyone is looking for a non-plated daily driver Reebok have the RF3 on sales for €84.50, you can get an additional 10% off with Rbk20, €76.05 delivered in this crazy world of €200+ kicks.
    Very underrated shoe IMO, this will be my 6th pair across the 3 iterations, just north of 200gms for a UK 10.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a non-plated daily driver Reebok have the RF3 on sales for €84.50, you can get an additional 10% off with Rbk20, €76.05 delivered in this crazy world of €200+ kicks.
    Very underrated shoe IMO, this will be my 6th pair across the 3 iterations, just north of 200gms for a UK 10.

Is that the floatride energy? I'm seeing e58.50

Run Fast

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Looking to buy a new pair and was hoping to get some advice. I've always worn Adidas and found them great until I bought the ADIZERO ADIOS 4. I get very sore calfs nearly every time I wear them, even after a short 5km run. I've been hoping to get to Lifestyle to use their machine to get a better understanding of the type of shoe that best suits my feet but obviously with the lockdown that's not possible. So would anyone have any suggestions on what I should be considering for my next purchase .. possibly a more heel support ?

Looking to buy a new pair and was hoping to get some advice. I've always worn Adidas and found them great until I bought the ADIZERO ADIOS 4. I get very sore calfs nearly every time I wear them, even after a short 5km run. I've been hoping to get to Lifestyle to use their machine to get a better understanding of the type of shoe that best suits my feet but obviously with the lockdown that's not possible. So would anyone have any suggestions on what I should be considering for my next purchase .. possibly a more heel support ?

Could you give a bit of background? How many miles a week we're you running? Do you rotate runners? Were you wearing adidas adios for all runs or sessions? Was it a once off issue or several runs?

Could you give a bit of background? How many miles a week we're you running? Do you rotate runners? Were you wearing adidas adios for all runs or sessions? Was it a once off issue or several runs?

Hi,
    I would usually do 3 runs a week, roughly a total of 20-30Km.
    I have been rotating back to my 2 old pairs of shoes that never give me the problem. The odd time I would wear the Adios 4s and get away with it, but the vast majority of the time I wear them, I get the pain in the calfs.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

S_D wrote: »
    Asics GT 2000 - used these for my daily runner for 3 years and am terrified to change so just keep using them

Alphafly for racing ( if and when)

I Keep buying them every year too. The GT 2000 9 are really perfect.

Hi,
    I would usually do 3 runs a week, roughly a total of 20-30Km.
    I have been rotating back to my 2 old pairs of shoes that never give me the problem. The odd time I would wear the Adios 4s and get away with it, but the vast majority of the time I wear them, I get the pain in the calfs.

Thanks

I wouldn't really consider the adios as an everyday shoe for general miles. Most people I know that use them (myself included) would use them for sessions and racing (before supershoes became a thing).

It doesn't surprise me that you're feeling it a bit. The adios don't offer much cushioning. There are tonnes of options for daily shoe but what have you used in the past?

I wouldn't really consider the adios as an everyday shoe for general miles. Most people I know that use them (myself included) would use them for sessions and racing (before supershoes became a thing).

It doesn't surprise me that you're feeling it a bit. The adios don't offer much cushioning. There are tonnes of options for daily shoe but what have you used in the past?

In the past I had a pair of Regular Adidas Boost, and 2 pairs of Boston Boost.
    The regular boost were good, no issues. The same with one of the pairs of Boston boost. But the second more recent pair of Boston boost, I started to develop the calf pains as well which is why I decided to try something different ​and went for the Adios 4s. I suspect what I may need is something with more overall support, but I like a light weight shoe as well. I tried on a pair of ultraboost before but I felt like I had clogs on my feet and was nearly tripping over myself.

• Advertisement

In the past I had a pair of Regular Adidas Boost, and 2 pairs of Boston Boost.
    The regular boost were good, no issues. The same with one of the pairs of Boston boost. But the second more recent pair of Boston boost, I started to develop the calf pains as well which is why I decided to try something different ​and went for the Adios 4s. I suspect what I may need is something with more overall support, but I like a light weight shoe as well. I tried on a pair of ultraboost before but I felt like I had clogs on my feet and was nearly tripping over myself.

Were similar in that sense. I really hate feeling like I jvae a chunky shoe on my feet. Not sure if you mean support or cushioning. There are some very good cushioned shoes but wouldn't necessarily provide a tonne of support. The Epic react flyknit are an example of a shoe I like. Nice cushioning but not a big chunky shoe either. Have you tried Pegasus 36? I'm not a huge fan anymore but it's a decent daily runner that a lot of people use.

Run Fast

Must...........................resist.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Couldn't resist. Had the first version and loved them. €76 is a steal for such a good shoe.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Couldn't resist. Had the first version and loved them. €76 is a steal for such a good shoe.

Is there much of a diff between the RF3 and the Floatride Energy?
    Floatride Energy seem to get good reviews.

https://www.reebok.ie/floatride-run-fast-3-shoes/FW9630.html
    https://www.reebok.ie/floatride-energy-3-shoes/FZ0683.html?forceSelSize=8.5

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Is there much of a diff between the RF3 and the Floatride Energy?
    Floatride Energy seem to get good reviews.

https://www.reebok.ie/floatride-run-fast-3-shoes/FW9630.html
    https://www.reebok.ie/floatride-energy-3-shoes/FZ0683.html?forceSelSize=8.5

RF is much lighter 198.5g v 241g for the Energy.
    More cushion on the Energy too but if you like ground feel, you'll love the RF.
    RF for faster stuff, Energy is a daily trainer.

Were similar in that sense. I really hate feeling like I jvae a chunky shoe on my feet. Not sure if you mean support or cushioning. There are some very good cushioned shoes but wouldn't necessarily provide a tonne of support. The Epic react flyknit are an example of a shoe I like. Nice cushioning but not a big chunky shoe either. Have you tried Pegasus 36? I'm not a huge fan anymore but it's a decent daily runner that a lot of people use.

thanks for that. Nike is the only brand I really would like to avoid :)

547214.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Unknownability

547214.PNG

Would you recommend for everyday slow running?

My go to Nike Zoom X Berlin Marathon edition seem to have given up on me and are failing apart. I have plenty of shoes for speed and racing just want an everyday comfortable pair.

Would you recommend for everyday slow running?

My go to Nike Zoom X Berlin Marathon edition seem to have given up on me and are failing apart. I have plenty of shoes for speed and racing just want an everyday comfortable pair.

If you are a neutral runner that doesn't need much support these are great, I've done a lot of miles in them across various speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Didn't........... resist............... :D

Floatride_Run_Fast_3_Shoes_Green_FW9629_01_standard.jpg

Advertisement