Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher maths series and sequences - Necessary?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Are those last two long or difficult? And do they come up anywhere else? I think my friend said she did them in integration, not sure though. Might try and have a look at them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

You don't have to look at the sequence and series part at all, i personally hate the question , it comes into question 4, in the paper, just avoid the question is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Are those last two long or difficult? And do they come up anywhere else? I think my friend said she did them in integration, not sure though. Might try and have a look at them. :)
    Proof by Induction is simple enough. Binomial theorem has a tiny bit more to it but all in all if you work at it you could quite feasibly learn both on your own in 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MathsNerd31

lorcan122 wrote: »
    You don't have to look at the sequence and series part at all, i personally hate the question , it comes into question 4, in the paper, just avoid the question is my advice.

Even before you had access to all the formulae in the tables, this question, along with question 5 and 8 were the easiest on the paper. I come back to my previous point - the reason that students have difficulty with these questions is down to teachers (and I am a teacher) leaving them until too late in the term at which point a lot of students have decided what questions to do. Think of the amount of time that you spend on algebra and differentiation in class. If you spent 10% of that time on questions 4 and 5 you would have them completely sussed.

Also, these questions don't take a lot of time once you're comfortable with them meaning that you could probably still do another 6 questions.

Advertisement