Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best UK student cities

Options
  • 28-11-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm applying to study a postgrad in primary teaching but there are so many places to choose from it's so confusing! I'm looking at Brighton, Sheffield or Liverpool at the mo. Anyone here have advice on Uni's in the UK in terms of good transport, reasonable accomadation, availability of part time jobs etc?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Manchester would tick all your boxes, and there's a 24 hour bus service! Brighton will be very expensive in terms of accommodation but it's a beautiful place to live. The other two have pretty big student populations but I know nothing about them. There's a good few boardsies in Liverpool at least so hopefully they'll contribute.

The Student Room has excellent forums for unis in all regions and there'll be a bundle of threads for each city if you haven't already had a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elenimelos

I'm not sure about Sheffield and Brighton, but I do know Liverpool very well.

There's good job prospects in the North West after you finish your degree because it's so well poulated. The train service has a couple of stops underground which is quite convenient if you need to get from one side of the city to the other. The bus links are good too, and quite cheap.

Accommodation varies - it depends which area you rent in. The south is generally nicer than the north, but if you're on a budget, it's probably a good idea to find a balance between the two (Allerton's nice). Personally, I'd avoid Toxteth and Walton like the plague.

In general, Liverpool's got a lovely feel to it. The people are really friendly (which is unusual for big cities in the UK) and helpful. And don't be surprised to see girls shopping in rollers and pj's - they all do it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

Currently studying at Uni of Liverpool, its a great city, and is actually one of the cheapest student cities in the UK.

As previous poster mentioned, the accommodation costs can vary, city centre accommodation which would be close to the unis (Uni of Liv, Hope Uni and John Moores are quite central) is expensive...£90+ per week. The other student areas are in Allerton, Wavetree, Smithdown road but these are out of town, and you would need a bus ride to get to uni (An annual bus pass costs about £300 afaik). Kensington is another area that is quite popular with students, I'm hoping to live near there next year, its an inner city area about a 10-15 walk from the unis I've mentioned. It has a reputation but the rougher areas are further from the city centre, it has massively improved in recent years. Areas to avoid are mostly in north of the city- anfield, walton, huyton,toxteth, everton, Kirkdale etc.

If you enjoy a drink or four there is a massive selection of places to suit all music tastes. And drinks are ridiculosly cheap. There are quite a lot of irish pubs here, there are a lot of irish students studying here. So far I only know the irish people on my course, I will have to go about changing that soon :) I must have an anti-irish aura!

Part time jobs are plentiful, I have been looking for one and have found many but unfortunately my course commitments and placements have ruled it out.

Manchester is almost the same as above. I don't know much about Sheffield.

Good idea to check out the student room too. If you want more information on Liverpool feel free to ask!

Advertisement