Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer shuts down by itself

Options
  • 28-11-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

The computer has been running Freenas 7 for a few months without any problem. However recently, the machine would just switch off for no apparent reason. I don't think its something like the c.p.u. overheating because the case is quite clean.

The last time the machine powered off, I went to power it on but it wouldn't switch on. I opened the case and noticed that the power supply felt a bit warm. I waited 10 minutes later until it had cooled off and it switched on then.

I'm thinking its the power supply thats gone a bit dodgy but I would like to see what other people think.

Some other background information:
    A few months ago, I picked this computer up off someone who was going to throw it away as it had pretty decent parts in it. The only problem was that the inside of the case was one of the worst things I have ever smelled in my life. It also had quite a large amount of dust inside as well. The power supply actually wasn't too dusty as it had been facing downward in the top of the case. I scrubbed the case and carefully cleaned the other components (included cleaning the motherboard in water). Everything was left to dry for about two weeks before re-assembly. I stuck some extra hard drives in, installed Freenas and started using it as a NAS and it has been running ever since.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Check your reset(power) cable to the mobo..Unplug it and reset it again...My rig did the same a while back and I must of knocked the connection...

While your at it it wont hurt to unplug and plug back in everything..to be sure to be sure..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

dwighet wrote: »
    Check your reset(power) cable to the mobo..Unplug it and reset it again...My rig did the same a while back and I must of knocked the connection...

While your at it it wont hurt to unplug and plug back in everything..to be sure to be sure..:cool:

I just switched it on after unplugging and plugging all the cables. I had a look at the power supply and noticed that the fan was not spinning :eek: . I reckon the P.S.U. was just overheating and then shutting down. Would anyone know if this could have potentially damaged other components?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kenyDoIt

hi I know this is old but I am a tec so i c this a lot, and the answer is yes but it is one in a 1000. If you have a desktop cut the power cable from the fan and take the red and black from the fan and the black and yellow form a psu and black to black and red to yellow 12v to 12v .... and your good:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

The last time it shutdown I got a slight smell of something being burnt out but it wasn't too obvious. I later tried turning it on again, and all I heard was a buzz noise. I really hope that it's just the PSU thats gone and I didnt just fry every last electronic part in that computer, especially my hard drives.

Now that theres a chance my other components are fried, if I put in a new power supply will this affect the new power supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Darkphenom wrote: »
    The last time it shutdown I got a slight smell of something being burnt out but it wasn't too obvious. I later tried turning it on again, and all I heard was a buzz noise. I really hope that it's just the PSU thats gone and I didnt just fry every last electronic part in that computer, especially my hard drives.

Now that theres a chance my other components are fried, if I put in a new power supply will this affect the new power supply?

No, it just won't turn on. Really sounds like it's all the psu to me man. Just take one from another machine you have and plug it in, see if everything still works, if so, throw away that old one and replace it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement