Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go back to college or not?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi, I'm 22 and I've just graduated with a 2.1 in Quantity Surveying. I'm currently working (labouring) with my family construction business and I really don't have any interest in looking for a QS job as it doesn't appeal to me at all.

I am contemplating going back to college to do a course like multimedia or something along those lines as I love messing around with IT, music production, photography and the likes. But I'm just wondering is it the right choice for me? I looked at the course in CIT and it's a four year course. Is it worth going back to college for this degree for four years?

All help/advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Hi, I'm 22 and I've just graduated with a 2.1 in Quantity Surveying. I'm currently working (labouring) with my family construction business and I really don't have any interest in looking for a QS job as it doesn't appeal to me at all.

I am contemplating going back to college to do a course like multimedia or something along those lines as I love messing around with IT, music production, photography and the likes. But I'm just wondering is it the right choice for me? I looked at the course in CIT and it's a four year course. Is it worth going back to college for this degree for four years?

All help/advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hey Cookmeister,

I am in a similar situation. Graduated with a degree in finance and am working away in finance but am interested in a fun job in something like multimedia. However, doing another degree and paying through the nose for it doesn't sound good at all. Thats why I have ignored the CIT degree. But there is a masters in UCC in Interactive Media for non computer based degree graduates that might be up your alley. Its also only €2,750 because it is subsidised to get more people into the area. Here is the link: http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/sefs/masters/interactive/

I am also thinking about doing it but I have heard some negative comments on the job front when graduating from this course. All the same, do your own investigation into it and you might realise that its right for you. Theres a few threads about it on here.

I am looking at that but also into conversion courses into computer science which would be more like programming and stuff. Basically just trying to figure out what it is I'm interested in.

On a side note, I did the myers briggs personality test and it personally helped me a lot. Made me realise the kind of person I am, what my interests are and why I dislike my job. So no harm doing that if you are looking to learn more about yourself and your interests.

Hope that was some help. Good luck dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cookmeister

Hi Cordo,

Thanks for that post. I think you may well have showed me a better alternative to the CIT course. I checked it out and it seems to suit my interests. I'll investigate a little more in it and if I find out anymore info on this course I'll make sure to post it on this thread.

Also I did the Myers Briggs test as well and I found out a good bit about myself too. It looks like this option is just what I'm looking for.

Thanks a million again!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Cordo

Hi Cordo,

Thanks for that post. I think you may well have showed me a better alternative to the CIT course. I checked it out and it seems to suit my interests. I'll investigate a little more in it and if I find out anymore info on this course I'll make sure to post it on this thread.

Also I did the Myers Briggs test as well and I found out a good bit about myself too. It looks like this option is just what I'm looking for.

Thanks a million again!

No Bother dude! Glad to help. Im still thinking about possibly doing that course next year myself so I might see you there! Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

The multimedia course is tough enough. If It is really the area that you are interested in then you will gain a lot by it. It is a very demanding course that requires a multiple of disciplines. I don't have much time to explain at the moment. PM me for more detail and I will discuss as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

good advice. a post grad would be enough to get the start i reckon.

a broad ed background is suited to all media, so yep, post grad the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement