Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumping Boxer

• 28-11-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My Boxer is 14 months old and heading on 30KG if he is not already there, he is a good dog, we had some lead issues but we seem to have gotten there for the most part.

Now our largest issue is jumping, he does not jump on me or my mother but it seems anyone else is fair game, this is in the house and outside. The other day he was literally leaping at my neighbour like a dolphin and he is going to hurt someone if we don't get this sorted.

No matter what I do when greeting someone he gets into and absolute tizzy, so exited that even the sound of some ones voice drives him over the top. I have taught him a sign for sit and ask everyone to use it as even the word just seems to send him into overdrive. He will sit for a second, his entire body trembling and then get up and start again, if you touch him during this process you can forget about it and he has to be restrained. He is showing all the signs of highly stressed dog, can't sit still, yawning etc. We have now taken to asking everyone to just ignore him but it takes quiet a while for him to calm down to a reasonable manner, usually in around a half an hour and even then if they try to give him any attention he just goes haywire again. Anyone have any tips I have been trying to get this under control but we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

My first thought is to wonder what kind of exercise and training the dog is getting?

A lot of exercise would help burn off his excitable energy, especially considering his breed, he will need a lot of exercise. I would say 2 x 1-hour walks per day plus training.

If he's already getting that kind of exercise, I would call a trainer. They'll come to your home and observe his behavior. A qualified trainer can see a lot of things very quickly and give you good advice after one session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What food is he on - it could be adding to the problem?

Our friends setter was the same jumping up. I just kept turning my back to him - now at first he jumped up anyways and his paws would be on my shoulders lol (i'm 5 foot) but eventually he got it. As soon as he backed off I'd give him a treat and this has evolved to him running to me but sitting for his treat and not jumping over my head!

Does you dog know any tricks - they can be a good way of using up energy but also distracting the dog so rather than him jumping up they can ask him to do a few tricks and then treat him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

He gets one 45 minute walk a day plus around 20 minutes of off lead time where he runs around and we play fetch.

He is on Arden Grange, 2 cups a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

if you learn how to turn off "lunacy" in boxers let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I have a 5 year old boxer and no matter how much training and excersise i did with him he still jumped like a kangaroo. He started to jump less and less over the last year but he is still running around and crashing into people when he sees someone he knows and likes but at least he isnt jumping up on them.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hi I had 3 boxers,now have 2 :(.Boxers can be jumpers and it can be hard to break the habit.My boxer who died last year jumped up on my OH auntie and she went flying,I was mortified...My puppy who is 10 months old is not too bad but is growing fast so if he jumps I turn my back on him and walk away,he soon gets the message that if he jumps he gets ignored:).You could aslo use treats (a few nuts from his food)when someone comes in get him to sit when he does give him a treat so hopefully he will get the message that visitors =sit=treats :).Boxers are great dogs :) xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

45mins walking time and 20 mins off lead time is not enough. He would need at least 45 min walks 2 or 3 times a day. Boxers are just full of energy its crazy, our one is 4 and if he sees us heading for the door he'll chance his arm hoping to come with us every time he can. He just wants to be out all the time. Try giving him 2 45 min walks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nedstark

You could do worse than watch a few episodes of cesar milan. We came on leaps and bounds with our dog by picking up tips from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dubdude wrote: »
    45mins walking time and 20 mins off lead time is not enough. He would need at least 45 min walks 2 or 3 times a day.

Not at 14 months old, he doesn't. A boxer's growth plates don't close until about 18 - 20 months of age, rule of thumb for exercise before that is 5 minutes per month of age. So, 70 minutes for this guy, which is pretty much what he's getting.

Over-exercising a young boxer is just asking for joint trouble.

Dubdude wrote: »
    45mins walking time and 20 mins off lead time is not enough. He would need at least 45 min walks 2 or 3 times a day. Boxers are just full of energy its crazy, our one is 4 and if he sees us heading for the door he'll chance his arm hoping to come with us every time he can. He just wants to be out all the time. Try giving him 2 45 min walks

I don't have the time at the moment to exercise him any more than that, I'm in college and have loads of assignments and tests coming up so my life pretty much revolves around that. Besides I think I could walk him literally all day long and he would still be the same, no amount of exercise seems to tire him out.
    nedstark wrote: »
    You could do worse than watch a few episodes of cesar milan. We came on leaps and bounds with our dog by picking up tips from him.

I think he is great(read one of his books), but no Sky in this house sadly so might get friends to tape a few episodes for me.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    Not at 14 months old, he doesn't. A boxer's growth plates don't close until about 18 - 20 months of age, rule of thumb for exercise before that is 5 minutes per month of age. So, 70 minutes for this guy, which is pretty much what he's getting.

Over-exercising a young boxer is just asking for joint trouble.

I would agree with this, I already have to monitor his exercise quiet closely as the vet has told me that he is so crazy he will most likely do himself an injury. All common sense is completely abandoned when he gets off the lead. I have however been thinking about doing more intensive exercise with him. i.e. a 30 minute cycle with him running along side the bike, I think he would get more out of it. I have noticed that if we miss a walk, he is still the same as if he gets one, no difference. So I really don't think he is getting that much out of it. Typical high energy Boxer:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Is your boxer neautered?Apolagies if youve already said :)If he isnt maybe you would consider geting him done :)it MAY calm him down a bit hehe.Boxers just want to be with people all the time and loooooooooove company,if you are at college maybe ye could send him to doggie day care once or twice a week?Otherwise ye can wait till he is around 8ish to calm down a bit hehehehe xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

bannermaf wrote: »
    My first thought is to wonder what kind of exercise and training the dog is getting?

A lot of exercise would help burn off his excitable energy, especially considering his breed, he will need a lot of exercise. I would say 2 x 1-hour walks per day plus training.

If he's already getting that kind of exercise, I would call a trainer. They'll come to your home and observe his behavior. A qualified trainer can see a lot of things very quickly and give you good advice after one session.

Maybe not possible but. An intelligent dog needs mental aswell as physical stimulation. I used to walk my dog all day around a green area / football pitch. All day there and he would never get tired. I moved house and now live near a forest full of scents, trails, walls, and obstacles. If he fetches a dummy you can hide it in long grass and bushes, much better than mindless retrieving. half an hour there (or the beach) is worth 2 hours on a normal green area.

Hope this helps.

Jumping is a frustrating one especially when people react badly.
    My springer jumps up all the time, shes 9 months old now. she was a cute wee pup and people used too welcomed her jumping up on them only making the problem worse for me now. you have to correct the thought not the action with this one IMO. try to anticipate when they`re going to do it. its usually only a half second before they jump up step in right away and say no before hes even left the ground. After a bit and he knows hes not meant to do it if you get a chance (with someone you know) grab him by the scruff in the act and give him a real shakin. I use a real loud OUT if there ignoring no or ah ah. he'll get the message eventually.

neutering is a lazy man solution that i've never seen calm,train or fix any problems with a dog.

bannermaf wrote: »

Maybe not possible but. An intelligent dog needs mental aswell as physical stimulation. I used to walk my dog all day around a green area / football pitch. All day there and he would never get tired. I moved house and now live near a forest full of scents, trails, walls, and obstacles. If he fetches a dummy you can hide it in long grass and bushes, much better than mindless retrieving. half an hour there (or the beach) is worth 2 hours on a normal green area.

Hope this helps.

Jumping is a frustrating one especially when people react badly.
    My springer jumps up all the time, shes 9 months old now. she was a cute wee pup and people used too welcomed her jumping up on them only making the problem worse for me now. you have to correct the thought not the action with this one IMO. try to anticipate when they`re going to do it. its usually only a half second before they jump up step in right away and say no before hes even left the ground. After a bit and he knows hes not meant to do it if you get a chance (with someone you know) grab him by the scruff in the act and give him a real shakin. I use a real loud OUT if there ignoring no or ah ah. he'll get the message eventually.

neutering is a lazy man solution that i've never seen calm,train or fix any problems with a dog.

He is neutered, has been since he was 6 months old. But like you I don't see much in the of a difference with his behaviour but that wasn't the reason I did it. I will try and make our walks a bit more interesting tough where I am living though, closest forest is a half an hours drive and it would be dark by the time I got home. So no go there, I also leave very early the morning so it's dark then too. I usually walk him down the street where there is lights and then to GAA pitch for off lead time, I might switch it up and give more focus on the off lead time as thats the only time he really seems to get something out of it.

Advertisement