Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun shop mallow..

Options
  • 28-11-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Have friday off so thinking of going for a small spin round a few RFD's..

Whats the guy in Mallow like?.

I usually go to Bandon being closest. Alot of stock but alot of moola.. :o:o

Looking for a decent sh O/U .. worth my while taking a spin up?..

Also anyone got directions..

Cheers

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I found him very expensive. Directions are simple head straight into mallow town. At the small roundabout at the bottom of the town take a left. Youll straight away see a petrol station on the right. Just after the petrol station Hes in the next block of buildings on the right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Personally I would head up to Stakelums in Thurles, they had a good selection last time I was in there, last week.
    Give Sean a ring and ask what they have.
    Pat Hayes in Mallow is decent, you could also try the crowd on the Kinsale rd roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

the lad in cork anglling and outdoor is sound out but doesnt have much secondhand stuff. jeffers have a good bit of sh stock but can be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Ring around first and suss out what they have in stock, Murrays might be worth a call?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i have dealt with Pat in Mallow on numerous occasions and always found him fair.
    i bought 5 guns off of him in the last 2yrs. just bought a browning maxus off him.
    when i bought my CZ 17hmr new 6mths ago he was the cheapest around.
    they dont have the same selection as jeffers but also doesnt have the prices jeffers charge.
    i have seen plenty good value guns there. also if you ask for something they come back to you unlike most dealers.

Cork angling are A1 to deal with but dont have many s/h firearms. i get cartridges there as i pass by fairly often.

jeffers i found expensive for everything and asked them to order in a bit of lamping gear and they never did it. this lack of interest will stop me going there again.

never in stakelums is it any good?? and what about Lazy Dog there website makes the shop look good but was never there. http://www.lazydogshooting.ie/Shop.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

bought two guns from lazy dog and one from stakelums both a1 and couldnt fault them on anything . friend bought a s/h gun from mallow got some problems from it but not pats fault and money was refunded so thumbs up for that! my opinion lazy dog would hve better quality guns for sale in the s/h range as opposed to mallow.just my opinion!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

kenneths wrote: »
    jeffers i found expensive for everything and asked them to order in a bit of lamping gear and they never did it. this lack of interest will stop me going there again.

I don't think thats a fair comment on Mervyn Jeffers, yes he is expensive, but his advice is second to none. You won't walk out of Jeffers with a gun that won't fit.

I don't think thats a fair comment on Mervyn Jeffers, yes he is expensive, but his advice is second to none. You won't walk out of Jeffers with a gun that won't fit.

what does gun fit have to do with my comment. i felt they where expensive you agree with that.
    i asked him to order me something and they never did.
    that is lack of interest in my business in my opinion. if i didnt order a part for a customer there be hell to pay.

what does gun fit have to do with my comment. i felt they where expensive you agree with that.
    i asked him to order me something and they never did.
    that is lack of interest in my business in my opinion. if i didnt order a part for a customer there be hell to pay.

I agree with you he is expensive.

Why do you have to ask him to order anything for you? You can get anything you want off the internet for a damn site less that what you'ld get it from a shop. I'm sure he'ld get it for you if you kept after him and charge you handsomely for it.

Gun fit has everything to do with it, if the gun doesn't fit, you won't be able to hit anything with it and you'll spend more money by either getting the gun to fit you or buying another one.

But seeing as you've been shooting for a year and a half now your obviously an expert and know a lot more than anyone else on here, don't hurt yourself when you fall off your high horse :D:D:Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66177874

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Oh right, so you have to be at it years to have an opinion:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

murph226 wrote: »
    Oh right, so you have to be at it years to have an opinion:rolleyes:

You don't have to be at it years you just have to know what your talking about.

Not having an appreciation for the importance of what gun fit is and getting the right advice when buying a gun, will either cost you money trying to put things right or can put a novice shooter off shooting.

I've dealt with both Jeffers on Bandon and Hayes in Mallow and of the 2 Jeffers is more knowledgable, and i didn't ever find Pat Hayes to be that cheap either.

I agree with you he is expensive.

Why do you have to ask him to order anything for you? You can get anything you want off the internet for a damn site less that what you'ld get it from a shop. I'm sure he'ld get it for you if you kept after him and charge you handsomely for it.

Gun fit has everything to do with it, if the gun doesn't fit, you won't be able to hit anything with it and you'll spend more money by either getting the gun to fit you or buying another one.

But seeing as you've been shooting for a year and a half now your obviously an expert and know a lot more than anyone else on here, don't hurt yourself when you fall off your high horse :D:D:Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66177874

the reason i asked him to get in the part was cos he was the same as online price but i wouldnt have to pay for postage. also it's in everyones best interest to try buy local before going online.

reason i asked "what does gun fit have to do with my comment." is i never mentioned it to begin with... you did.
    i never inferred that one was better at fitting a gun so i cant understand why you feel the need to pick at my comment.
    i do also realise that gun fit is one of the most important factors in shooting but again i never brought that point up...

so because i've been shooting for 1 & 1/2 yrs i must know nothing??.
    again i never proclaimed to be an expert... where did you get that idea.
    i have been around shooting/hunting men about 15yrs im only 29 now and always happy to learn more.

you obviously have some sort of problem that you cant understand how someone cant be happy with a dealer. it is completely my opinion if im not happy.

Also telling me i'm on a high horse and quoting old posts in a condescending manner is the behavior of a childish keyboard warrior.

the reason i asked him to get in the part was cos he was the same as online price but i wouldnt have to pay for postage. also it's in everyones best interest to try buy local before going online.

reason i asked "what does gun fit have to do with my comment." is i never mentioned it to begin with... you did.
    i never inferred that one was better at fitting a gun so i cant understand why you feel the need to pick at my comment.
    i do also realise that gun fit is one of the most important factors in shooting but again i never brought that point up...

so because i've been shooting for 1 & 1/2 yrs i must know nothing??.
    again i never proclaimed to be an expert... where did you get that idea.
    i have been around shooting/hunting men about 15yrs im only 29 now and always happy to learn more.

you obviously have some sort of problem that you cant understand how someone cant be happy with a dealer. it is completely my opinion if im not happy.

Also telling me i'm on a high horse and quoting old posts in a condescending manner is the behavior of a childish keyboard warrior.

Calm down before you give yourself a stroke:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

mike duggan is in killarney i can pm you a number and you can ring ahead in case he is not around to call there if your out and about for a look and a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 centre

Knocknagoshel shooting grounds has the best selection of shotguns with the experience behind the counter. Its on the kerry/limerick border near Abbeyfeale.
    www.knocknagoshelshootinggrounds.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CamphireCowboy

Pat hayes in mallow is good to deal with.
    I personally have bougth guns from Ray Samson "the lazy dog" knocklong, By far the best to deal with, straight talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Hayes in mallow are a good crowd to deal with and have a nice handy selection of guns.
    I found ray Sampson pushy to buy a yildiz shotgun and he was 100 dearer then Hayes in mallow.

Also pat told me not to get blinded by brands or prices to start with, pick a gun that fits you and that you like then worry about price after.

Pat also does competency courses.

Also try Paudi white at Carrolls mountain shooting grounds in broadford co limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

chris green in kiskeam is a nice friendly man thats where i got my shotgun over 2 years ago, he sells them from his house not a shop. but he is a rfd and if you google his name you will get his number if you want it op or you can om for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

is he still in operation chris green???

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

patdahat wrote: »
    is he still in operation chris green???

i think so, haven't called to him in over a year to buy anything. when ever i rang he was always very helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement