Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

• 28-11-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I currently have blow in insulation in my attic to about the level of the joists.

I intend to add some fibreglass insulation rolls ontop of the existing.

I was going to use 200mm thick fibreglass.

Can you have too much insulation or does this sound about right.

Is Rockwool much more expensive as I assume it doesnt have as much skin and eye irritants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

I dont think that is too much, how deep are your joists? It might be enough to put down 170mm, Rockwool is about €20 for 3.3m2, price around for the best price. Rockwool is also good for sounds dampening and is fire resistent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rockwool 100mm slab insulation is brilliant at both sound insulation and thermal insulation.

Around 35 euro for a bale of it (600mm x 1200mm) and it covers around 6.5 square meters.

Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

I dont need sound insulation in the at attic.

Purley woundering about cost v hassle.

Been looking for a decent comparison site

Tidyweb wrote: »
    I dont need sound insulation in the at attic.

Purley woundering about cost v hassle.

Been looking for a decent comparison site

I actually answered your original opening post.You refered to Rockwool,so hense my reply.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Boxtyeater

Homebase are selling rolls of carbon zero insulation (ideal for your purpose).
    €24 per roll - coverage 8.01 sqm. Just horse it up and roll it out taking care to leave breathing space around the eaves.....Job done.

• Advertisement

what is Carbon Zero, is that regular firbre glass.

Is it the R value that you should look at.

What depth is the homebase stuff.

Boxtyeater wrote: »
    Homebase are selling rolls of carbon zero insulation (ideal for your purpose).
    €24 per roll - coverage 8.01 sqm. Just horse it up and roll it out taking care to leave breathing space around the eaves.....Job done.

Yep the Knauf carbon Zero is also great stuff.I managed to get it (150 and 170mm) for 3 quid a roll over in the Uk though.

So that will tell you the silly high mark up it gets when it comes into this country.:rolleyes:

can you get it up the north that cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yep the Knauf carbon Zero is also great stuff.I managed to get it (150 and 170mm) for 3 quid a roll over in the Uk though.

So that will tell you the silly high mark up it gets when it comes into this country.:rolleyes:

I read recently that it is subsidised in Britain so prices are much cheaper. This doesn't apply to Northern Ireland as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

PMC999 wrote: »
    I read recently that it is subsidised in Britain so prices are much cheaper. This doesn't apply to Northern Ireland as far as I'm aware.

There was an equivalent scheme in NI a while back - not sure if it's still going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

I picked up 21 rolls of 200mm Knuaf attic insulation in B&Q. There is a 3 for 2 offer at the moment. €24.99 a roll which covers 5.5m2. The wool is easy to handle as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I currently have blow in insulation in my attic to about the level of the joists.

I intend to add some fibreglass insulation rolls ontop of the existing.

I was going to use 200mm thick fibreglass.

Can you have too much insulation or does this sound about right.

Is Rockwool much more expensive as I assume it doesnt have as much skin and eye irritants.
    I dont understand why you would not put say another 300mm blown insulation in?
    why do you want to change material?

because i dont have the machine and its very messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

because i dont have the machine and its very messy

A breathing apparatus in intensive care looks very messy as well. Stay away from this shredded carcinogenic material, talk to a pneumonologist before thinking about going up into this attic.

Here the official warning of the WHO:

http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/74732/E71922.pdf
    ( chapter 8.2 Man-made vitrious fibres )

and the latest from the Federal German Occupational Health Ministry:

http://www.baua.de/de/Publikationen/Fachbeitraege/F2135.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2

Creutzfeld confirmed previous findings, the evidence is clear. Genetic break up/genotoxis means cancer, read the report carefully. Contact an occupational health officer. They should know, present a copy of this report and ask for an expertise.

does it say dont use the blow in stuff or dont use the fibre glass.

Whatever I use will cover the blow in stuff and stop it being airborn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

can you get it up the north that cheap?
    almost as cheap in the .north as uk..i paid about 4pounds in newry...same down here 28euro...dont buy down here you will be robbed robbed robbed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Tidyweb asks:
    does it say dont use the blow in stuff or dont use the fibre glass.

Read the reports. Contact someone who can explain their relevance on your situation.

The fine silica particles are in the air, they are to fine to fall down. Every time an underpressure ( difference in pressure) is created in the room below by ventilation they will be sucked through crevices.
    These silica particles stay in the air until hitting a sticky/wet surface. A mucous membrane like a mouth, a nose, a lung.
    These natural barriers they will pass, penetrate a living cell and destroy gene segments.

Advertisement