Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CUBICLES

• 28-11-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

a small favour ,would ye measure from the head rail to the back edge of the cubicle as i have put in new cubicles and the cows are both standing and lying too far up and s**ting on the back. have to move them out and want to get it fairly right and not trail and error because there is 4 nuts on every cubicle and thats a lot of spannering. thanks.(will put in a brisket board in the near future but would like to get this right first)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

What type and breed of cows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

keep going wrote: »
    a small favour ,would ye measure from the head rail to the back edge of the cubicle as i have put in new cubicles and the cows are both standing and lying too far up and s**ting on the back. have to move them out and want to get it fairly right and not trail and error because there is 4 nuts on every cubicle and thats a lot of spannering. thanks.(will put in a brisket board in the near future but would like to get this right first)

the so called experts have gotten it very wrong when it comes to the recomendations they are giving when it comes to cubicle size , you would think the average cow in ireland was similar to the average cow in north america , as such you get teagasc calling for 8 ft + long cubicles , the result is a 50 cubicle shed with 45 dongues to be brushed down each morning , 7ft is more than long enough for the kind of cows the majority of farmers keep in this country , a cows backside is better to be always at least a foot out over the ledge so even cubicles at shorter than sevent foot , its rarely a problem unless cows are huge

too late for that now in your case though , moving the neck rail back is not going to be enough as the cows can edge forward once they lie down , you might need to put in a bar on the bottom rung of the cubicle awell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

first answer-fr cows mostly nz bred but there is alot of heifers in the house and most of the bigger older girls are culled this year.brisket board is a must but wont get it done this week or maybe next, considering clamping 1.5 blue band to the super loop or bolting down 3*3 to floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Brisket board did the business for us.

3 x 2 board (16 foot cost €6 each) screwed directly to the concrete using screws and red plastic rawl plugs. Board is 5'7" from the end of the cubicles. Only took about 10 mins to fit each 16' length of it. Best thing I ever did, cows used to always lie too far up and get stuck!! Touch wood, none have got stuck yet...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

depends on the actual cubicle id say

http://www.odonovaneng.ie/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Cubicles-Drawings-Superloop-options.JPG

wilson agri are based in the north and looks like they have done alot of research, their market is probably holstein cows but id give them a ring

alot of info on these links:

http://www.wilsonagri.co.uk/videos.htm

http://www.wilsonagri.co.uk/research.php

http://www.wilsonagri.co.uk/downloads.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

cjpm wrote: »
    Brisket board did the business for us.

3 x 2 board (16 foot cost €6 each) screwed directly to the concrete using screws and red plastic rawl plugs. Board is 5'7" from the end of the cubicles. Only took about 10 mins to fit each 16' length of it. Best thing I ever did, cows used to always lie too far up and get stuck!! Touch wood, none have got stuck yet...:cool:

that sounds good,cheap and quick which makes me think it might be done sooner rather than later. that is three inch is on the flat i presume,.the head rail is in at manufacturers recomendations but i think it could be back further for my cows so i was just wondering what other fellas had done thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

keep going wrote: »
    that sounds good,cheap and quick which makes me think it might be done sooner rather than later. that is three inch is on the flat i presume,.the head rail is in at manufacturers recomendations but i think it could be back further for my cows so i was just wondering what other fellas had done thanks

Yeah 3" on the flat. The cows won't kneel on it when sitting down so it prevents them from going too far forward. Make sure you use good strong long screws though.

Advertisement