Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resource Teacher Qualifications???

• 28-11-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi
    I am wondering could anyone help me with this....

I have a degree in psychology and a masters in speech and language therapy... But i have now decided I would like to work as a resource teacher in a secondary school!

So....I am wondering whats my best route... I have talked to the teaching council and basically I dont have a teaching subject so I cant do a Hdip..
    Does anyone know if you can do a dip in resource teaching or guidance counselling without having a teaching subject? and where could you do this??

Thanks in advance
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Any teacher I know has teaching subject degree (e.g arts/science), H.dip and also the resource course. It's really hard lately to get onto the course now as there are two main places that do it over the course of a year. If the teaching council told you that you need teaching subjects then you need teaching subjects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

If I were you and had your particular qualifications, I'd choose to go the educational psychology MA route rather than try to qualify as a resource teacher. If teaching is absolutely what you want to do, you will have to go back and get yourself some teaching subjects. You might also want to consider working at primary school level and looking at Hibernia College as a faster route to qualified teacher status. There is a PG Diploma in Guidance Counselling, but it seems to be restricted to those who have already qualified as teachers (silly restriction imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If I were you and had your particular qualifications, I'd choose to go the educational psychology MA route rather than try to qualify as a resource teacher. If teaching is absolutely what you want to do, you will have to go back and get yourself some teaching subjects. You might also want to consider working at primary school level and looking at Hibernia College as a faster route to qualified teacher status. There is a PG Diploma in Guidance Counselling, but it seems to be restricted to those who have already qualified as teachers (silly restriction imo).

Not necessarily a silly restriction. All school have some form of career guidance but the hours allocated to it are based on the number of students in the school. A school needs either 400 or 500 students to have a guidance counsellor on full hours. So either schools employ guidance counsellors on permanently low hours as it's unlikely the numbers in a school are likely to increase dramatically at any point in time or they employ someone who has other subjects, and give them whatever guidance hours are available and top up the rest of their hours with one of their other subjects.

My school has just over 400 students and I think the guidance teacher has about 17 hours guidance.

Advertisement