Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGILE Project Management

Options
  • 28-11-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone recommend any good books in relation to AGILE Project Management, specifically for investment banking / financial services?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭9fcdhzkx46apgr

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 way2tall

I think that probably you should try and get your hands on a book by Ken Schwaber (sp?) Agile Project Management with Scrum ..

If you are coming from a traditional project management backround (PMP, PRINCE) etc .. you might get more value if you look at some of the stuff the PMI has done about AGile Methods..

I think that it is often important to understand that Agile is a very broad church - there are lots of techniques, tools, frameworks and methodologies that fall in to 'Agile'

I think it is useful to understand WHY agile techniques can be appropriate or might work and the history behind the Agile philosophy .. A great starting point is the Agile Manifesto ..

Often organizations will craft and agile approach that blends different aspects of agile to suit their business and their teams - I don't know if there is an Agile APproach that is specific to finance .. I imagine that there are many organizations using a variation of Agile and trying to meld that with a strictly regulated environment and that there maybe books on this topic in particular - I have not come across any yet ..

Key advice - learn and understand the philosophy and then your existing project management skills / training and knowledge will help inform you about how you might approach projects

Others might argue an all or nothing approach .. as I said Agile is a broad church :-)

Hope this is useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭9fcdhzkx46apgr

Hi there,
    Thanks for your reply. I will check the book out. I have executed all my projects to date using a traditional waterfall approach so I'm interested to see the benefits of AGILE in a finance environment.
    Are you an experience AGILE PM? How do you deal with maintaining documentation such as requirements, technical requirements, etc… when you turn around development in such a tight delivery time frame (e.g. 2 weeks)? Have you used Quality Centre to assist with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

I'd recommend doing training - once you have played "the planning game" you will properly understand the why of Agile.

Advertisement