Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any quick way to diagnose hardware failure?

Options
  • 28-11-2011 10:17pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, my sons PC is giving an error about possible hardware failure when i try to boot it up.
    My guess is hard drive failure but i cant be sure, any way or means of finding out for sure so i can replace the dodgy component?
    Id rather find out myself instead of paying someone to diagnose for me.

I vaguely recall readin somewhere about a cd that pops into the disc drive and can pinpoint the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can try Hiren's Boot CD. It's a boot CD full of diagnostic tools. I won't lie to you; I don't know what half of them do. You can however run RAM stability tests, as well as a hard drive checker (I think) and a CPU stress test, to rule out the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi folks, my sons PC is giving an error about possible hardware failure when i try to boot it up.
    My guess is hard drive failure but i cant be sure, any way or means of finding out for sure so i can replace the dodgy component?

I vaguely recall readin somewhere about a cd that pops into the disc drive and can pinpoint the issue?
    Ultimate boot cd should do the trick.

Google ubcd.

Ubcd has the kitchen sink approach so there should be the required testing tool for the make of harddrive you need to test.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hirens is good, can be a bit finnicky though

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Dcully wrote: »

Some computers come with a utility partition that you can boot to, to test hardware. What make do you have?

• Advertisement
Advertisement