Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jammed PVC window due to broken lock?

• 28-11-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

The lock on the window will not open and this seems due to a broken part, please see the small black insert in one of the pics. It has two openings on it, one of which a spring is sticking out of.

We tried to remove the lock to replace it, successfully removing one of the screws but unable to access the remaining because the lock keeps it hidden.

I'm basically here looking for advice on how to fix and/or replace the lock myself to try save some money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Does the handle not go down half way to allow you get at the other screw ?
    If not you could drill the screw head then use a pliers to take out the remaining part when the handle comes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There looks to be a screw head at the bottom of the hole in the second photo. You should be able to get a screwdriver in there I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

altor wrote: »
    Does the handle not go down half way to allow you get at the other screw ?
    If not you could drill the screw head then use a pliers to take out the remaining part when the handle comes off.
    Alun wrote: »
    There looks to be a screw head at the bottom of the hole in the second photo. You should be able to get a screwdriver in there I'd have thought?

Firstly, thanks for the quick reply!

There is indeed a screw head in the back of the lock which is securing it onto the window itself. My girlfriend only had a swiss army knife philips head that would not reach so I'm going to try with my own screwdriver over the weekend.

We tried to move the lip (the part you can see inside the lock sticking out) up and down and in and out to see if it would release the lock but it wouldn't.

If the screwdriver won't reach, best plan of action to drill the lip off so i can get at it? Screwing the lip off alone might release the lock.

In my own place the part shown in the first image has broken off the latch on the old panel window, and the screws are rusted and/or worn down - is a metal drill head to expose a part of the screws I can grip with a plyers also the best way to go?

Also, do you know where in Dublin City Centre I can replace both locks?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Rather than getting the drill out then a longer screw driver will do the job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

dusf wrote: »
    My girlfriend only had a swiss army knife philips head that would not reach so I'm going to try with my own screwdriver over the weekend.
    :D
    Also, do you know where in Dublin City Centre I can replace both locks?

Thanks

There a locksmith place under the railway bridge at Connolly just up from Busaras

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

as regards the upvc handle

the handle might have been locked accentantly then it failed .
    Get a hacksaw and cut the bolt thru were the handle piviots
    The handles are unvrisall only the spindles could be different.

screw back on handle in the same postition with one screw then open handle to get access to the 2nd screw.

If this does not work then your real problem was the lock itself which has seized. Skill is then required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks all, gave it a good screw last night and managed to get it off :)
    Carlow52 wrote: »
    There a locksmith place under the railway bridge at Connolly just up from Busaras

All I need's a new lock now, anywhere more central - maybe around O'Connell Street or Parnell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 girlgalway1

Hi, talking about windown damaged, does anyone know of a company who can repair damanged windows? (Rented apartment and window handles and sealed have been damaged and need repair)

Finding it hard to get contact details for anyone and the I need to get this fixed

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 john1957

I have a window and the mechanism appears seized. The handle will move but the socket into which it fits does not engage/or is broken. I can remove the handle by unscrewing two screws and the square bar on the handle seems OK, but the socket into which it fits just expands when the handle is turned.
    This is a shower room window and I just want to open the widow but it is well jammed.
    What is the technique to open this window?
    Thank you
    John

Advertisement