Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding

Options
  • 28-11-2011 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I need some help, cooking Christmas puddings at the moment. Have boiled the two puddings for nearly six hours and they are still moist. I have put grease proof paper, then tin foil and tied a string around them. Place then in boiling water, with a lid on. Have no idea why they are still moist. Anyone one any advise please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

What do you mean by moist? When you stick in a skewer etc is it coming out with wet mixture, or is it just moist on top? The latter would be normal, after 6 hours they would definitely be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavidpJordan

Acoshla wrote: »
    What do you mean by moist? When you stick in a skewer etc is it coming out with wet mixture, or is it just moist on top? The latter would be normal, after 6 hours they would definitely be done.

When I stick the skewer in, it comes out with wet mixture. Is it possible to save the pudding or do I need to start from scratch?

So, you made the mix, put it in a pudding bowl that was lined with greaseproof paper, then you wrapped the whole thing in tin foil and tied a string around it, then you put it in a saucepan of boiling water, and put the lid on the saucepan? Just to be clear. Has the water been kept simmering the whole time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavidpJordan

So, you made the mix, put it in a pudding bowl that was lined with greaseproof paper, then you wrapped the whole thing in tin foil and tied a string around it, then you put it in a saucepan of boiling water, and put the lid on the saucepan? Just to be clear. Has the water been kept simmering the whole time?

Yep water was simmering the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

Yep water was simmering the whole time.

No! Don't start over that would be a waste! I hope it's not still cooking though because your electricity bill will be sky high!!! If you keep it cooking until it's done then that is brilliant. A good long slow cook is far better then sticking a fruit cake or pudding in and having it out in a short time. Fruit absolutely loves aa long slow cook! Don't worry about it! If it doesn't turn out well (although I'm certain it will) then just start over! :) You won't need to though, it sounds like you might have had too wet a mixture but that doesn't matter because it will mean it will be soooooo moist!! Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you cook it for 6 hours(ish) do you still need to put it on again for 2 hours or so around christmas time. All the recipes seem to say to cook it again for 2/3 hours on xmas day? Would that not just dry it out?

If you cook it for 6 hours(ish) do you still need to put it on again for 2 hours or so around christmas time. All the recipes seem to say to cook it again for 2/3 hours on xmas day? Would that not just dry it out?

That's more to heat it, not to cook it. We normally through it into the oven when the turkey comes out, it heats in the cooling oven and is good to go by dessert time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That's more to heat it, not to cook it. We normally through it into the oven when the turkey comes out, it heats in the cooling oven and is good to go by dessert time.

Ta' thats what I thought alright. Sure it's eaten cold most of the time anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paul24

It also really depends on the size of the pudding bowl.
    Our 2nd batch of puddings are currently on the stove simmering away.

They are the larger bowl and will be simmered for 9 hours.

Made the same way for years and always turn our cooked and still nice and moist.

Paul24

Advertisement