Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soft hooves

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi,

Have a TB mare and she has very bad hooves, v soft and cracking. She is a brood mare, in foal at the mo, but I am hoping to start her back riding next year once foaled.
    Anyone recommend any supplements, tried and tested, for to help improve them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you asked your farrier about the soft hooves? He would probably be the first plan of action, just to rule out of structural damage that may have caused the soft hooves.

As for tried and tested supplements, we use Horse First Hoof First which seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

I used Hoofmaker for my mare and hers came on well with that, she used get bad cracks in them. They are perfect now, the farrier said they are in top shape. Its a little pricey, about €35 for a months supply but if you buy in bulk you can get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Farrier's Formula, can't recommend it high enough, it worked wonders so several of the rescues here including two OTTB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

Farrier's Formula is excellent. I have also had good results with feeding seaweed and using Keratex Hoof Hardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

+1 on the Keratex Hoof Hardener.

Fantastic stuff, it's basically formaldehyde that you paint straight onto the hoof walls and it turns them really hard.

We used it on broodmares that lived out during the winter and didn't wear shoes. It made life so much easier and they just needed regular trims after that rather than forever treating split hooves.

It was recommended by both our vet and our farrier.

I have also used it on sheep with foot rot since and it works exactly the same. Great stuff. Expensive but lasts forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

thoroughbred feet are generally crap.
    there are a few exceptions, but the vast majority i've had to go near as regards shoeing had ****e feet, either to brittle and flaky, or too soft

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

s-cogan wrote: »
    thoroughbred feet are generally crap.
    there are a few exceptions, but the vast majority i've had to go near as regards shoeing had ****e feet, either to brittle and flaky, or too soft

Good to see you are past the "just" clinching stage ;)

Did you order that apron off Billy after

how are you finding you first few months as a farrier??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Another option is TopSpec No.1 Healthy Hoof Supplement. Supposed to be fantastic and is well endorsed. We are going to be personally testing it in the next couple of weeks so I could come back to you with before and after pics if that would help?

Eoghan

Advertisement