Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HAY FEEDER

• 28-11-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get a tidy hay feeder for calves in the creep area. Maybe wall hanging or hanging off a gate?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any ideas?
    How do people feed small quantities of hay to calves in the lie back area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cgold

Howya,

Try Connacht Gold, there might be one near you...where are you based??

P:D

Cgold wrote: »
    Howya,

Try Connacht Gold, there might be one near you...where are you based??

P:D

I'm a long way from the Shannon but might be near Athlone up and down, so they (you:D) could be worth a try!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

thesco trolley, them bastards are screwin us farmers so as the jingo goes 'every little bit helps':rolleyes:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    thesco trolley, them bastards are screwin us farmers so as the jingo goes 'every little bit helps':rolleyes:

They already help with opening an 18' gate everyday!
    Trolley wheel welded on the bottom of it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Get some 1/2 inch reebar and bend one up, weld it and hey presto.. We made them up for about €20 I think it was, 2 hours made 3 of them..
    Not galvanised but the calves don't seem to notice :)

think I have a crappy photo somewhere if you want..

bbam wrote: »
    Get some 1/2 inch reebar and bend one up, weld it and hey presto.. We made them up for about €20 I think it was, 2 hours made 3 of them..
    Not galvanised but the calves don't seem to notice :)

think I have a crappy photo somewhere if you want..

Now you have me thinking.................This could be a runner. Thanks.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Now you have me thinking.................This could be a runner. Thanks.

Here you go...
    We're old style here.. if we need something we make it up if it's at all possible..:o

The hooks on the back could be a bit longer to stop it being hooked off the gate but we usually stick a cable tie on each end and it works fine..

[IMG][/img]img0147y.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

bbam, approx what lenght and height is the hay feeder?

bbam, approx what lenght and height is the hay feeder?

Off the top of my head it's 20-24 inches deep and about 4"6 long..
    To be honest the dimensions were decided based on the reebar lengths, to use full lengths rather than having waste left over..
    I'll throw a tape on it later and stick up the details...

• Advertisement

Cheers bbam, i want to make 3 of these for calves and they look the business.

On a side note, could i paint these with oxide paint or could that lead posion a calf? Its green oxide from a hayshed

Here you go...
    We're old style here.. if we need something we make it up if it's at all possible..:o

The hooks on the back could be a bit longer to stop it being hooked off the gate but we usually stick a cable tie on each end and it works fine..

[IMG][/img]img0147y.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Off the top of my head it's 20-24 inches deep and about 4"6 long..
    To be honest the dimensions were decided based on the reebar lengths, to use full lengths rather than having waste left over..
    I'll throw a tape on it later and stick up the details...

Cheers bbam, i want to make 3 of these for calves and they look the business.

On a side note, could i paint these with oxide paint or could that lead posion a calf? Its green oxide from a hayshed

Don't know about that. I've seen them licking the paint on doors so would be weary to paint them.

Thanks for the Pics bbam.
    I think I'm gonna make a couple maybe a meter long and 500mm deep.
    What is the spacing between the bars? 5" or 6"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I made one with an L iron frame around the outside and hi-tensile sheep wire in the middle. When calves were small it was hung level with you guessed it a pallet at each end, we put straw loosely on top as a canopy. Then when the calves were bigger tilted it up at about 45 degrees and put hay in it. It is about 4m by 2m.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

i am going to get a lad to make me up 3 of these hay feeders bbam made up. But can i paint them with oxide paint? it will only be suck calves using them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

€34 incl vat for a nice size square one, galvanised in my local Topline;) Ideal for calves.

Advertisement