Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

notice of seizure

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, i oredered a few things online for christmas presents instead of having to deal with the shops, ive recieved all of them no problem apart from a tracksuit, which i recieved a letter in the door today from the revenue.ie with a heading saying "notice of seizure customs consolidation act 1876 act 207" it says the tracksuit was seized under section 202 of the act same as stated above and is liable to forfeiture under section 177 of the same act. I understand customs have taken it but ive looked up what all of these acts mean and i just cant find the info anywhere if anyone could help me and let me know why it was taken etc etc id understand! :) as it states on the bottom of the letter that you can write to the officer to claim your seized item but you cant if it has been siezed for x+y reasons, but i dont know what bloody reason it was sized for as i dont know these acts, if they just wrote the reason instead of the act !!! i dont want to write the letter if my item falls into the category not to try claim for :) ne one know much about these acts? cheers !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

lendaredev wrote: »
    Hi all, i oredered a few things online for christmas presents instead of having to deal with the shops, ive recieved all of them no problem apart from a tracksuit, which i recieved a letter in the door today from the revenue.ie with a heading saying "notice of seizure customs consolidation act 1876 act 207" it says the tracksuit was seized under section 202 of the act same as stated above and is liable to forfeiture under section 177 of the same act. I understand customs have taken it but ive looked up what all of these acts mean and i just cant find the info anywhere if anyone could help me and let me know why it was taken etc etc id understand! :) as it states on the bottom of the letter that you can write to the officer to claim your seized item but you cant if it has been siezed for x+y reasons, but i dont know what bloody reason it was sized for as i dont know these acts, if they just wrote the reason instead of the act !!! i dont want to write the letter if my item falls into the category not to try claim for :) ne one know much about these acts? cheers !!

Section 207 is the form of the notice given to you.

Section 202 allows for the seizure of the items while Section 177 refers to the fact that the items can be forfeited.

It is most likely that the goods were bought outside the EU and you have failed to pay customs duty and / or VAT on the items.

Discuss the matter over the phone with Revenue and they may come to an accommodation with you but bear in mind that they are of the view that you may have committed a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi all, i oredered a few things online for christmas presents instead of having to deal with the shops

Is it possible you bought them cheaper than in stores as they were fakes, there's a lot of that on the internet. Clothes especially. That's why they were taken, you can ring the revenue tomorrow and they'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

would you say ill be prosectued over this? i had no idea ive bought many things online with no problem?? if i ring the revenue tomorrow would you say they will be quite nasty as like you have said that this could be a criminal offence? god im terrified now! :(

It's a criminal offence but it's a minor one. The penalties are usually a fine.

If it 's just a tracksuit or something very minor, I'm sure Revenue would look at it relatively leniently, but you're better off discussing it directly with them or better yet, consult a solicitor even for an initial consultation.

Also, I would recommend no longer talking about it here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lendaredev

ok thank you

Advertisement