Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best insulation for a dormer - foam, cellulose, figerglass, rockwook?

• 29-11-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,

I really need to insulate my house properly. I have gotten two quotes, both were to pump the walls with beads which is costing about €900. One quoted to put an extra 6" of fiberglass in the attic and to cut holes in the dormer in each room an to also fiberglass the walls in the dormer. I think this crowd were missing out on the void/slanted part of the wall ceiling of the dormer. The price for this was about €1500. The next quote was for spray foam on the entire roof including these voids but again holes needed to be cut into the dormer walls to get access. This quote was for a massive €4100. Needless to say I nearly fell off my seat when I got the price.

I am so confused as to what the best value for my money. I have read the cellulose might be a good option but really I am struggling to find independent advice and would love to hear from other people who have had similar problems and decision to make. The other thing to take into consideration is that we had a burst pipe in our attic last christmas so clearly the pipes are not insulated either.

Any advise or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Kaskade wrote: »
    Hi,

I really need to insulate my house properly. I have gotten two quotes, both were to pump the walls with beads which is costing about €900.
    sounds ok - but you haven't said what size/shape the house is..
    One quoted to put an extra 6" of fiberglass in the attic and to cut holes in the dormer in each room an to also fiberglass the walls in the dormer. I think this crowd were missing out on the void/slanted part of the wall ceiling of the dormer. The price for this was about €1500.
    The next quote was for spray foam on the entire roof including these voids but again holes needed to be cut into the dormer walls to get access. This quote was for a massive €4100.
    I would be wary of putting anything into those voids until they were opened up an checked first - different types of insulations, require different controls around them for example ventilation or moisture control
    Needless to say I nearly fell off my seat when I got the price.
    you got one company in instead of 3 one and they quoted without a specification, why so shocked ?
    I am so confused as to what the best value for my money. I have read the cellulose might be a good option but really I am struggling to find independent advice and would love to hear from other people who have had similar problems and decision to make. The other thing to take into consideration is that we had a burst pipe in our attic last christmas so clearly the pipes are not insulated either.

Any advise or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    dormers are a pain to deal with, there are a lot of factors to consider and while there are plenty of half-assed options out there, genuine solutions often involve plenty of man hours, good materials (sometimes not the cheapest) and disruption to your home, often both internally and externally.

the specification for a job that will last and create the desired internal comfort will not always initially be seen as the 'value for money' you are expecting, that's why we Irish love DIY shops so much:D - (but why its so import for it to be done right first time)

how old is the house? - this will tell a lot, as its answers what regs it should comply with, and whether its close to needing a good overhaul anyway etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Well I was in the process of getting 3 quotes, the guy who recommended foam was quote 2. Quote 3 is coming tomorrow.

The house was built in 2005. 200sq ft dormer. I have no idea what's in the voids presently as there is no access to them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Kaskade wrote: »
    Well I was in the process of getting 3 quotes, the guy who recommended foam was quote 2. Quote 3 is coming tomorrow.

The house was built in 2005. 200sq ft dormer. I have no idea what's in the voids presently as there is no access to them
    2005 is a great year:) as its the last year your eligible for the grants;)

the problems you suffer are two-fold and you need both sorted to make a real difference to your comfort
    • air-tightness - this is the problem one as its hard to retro-fit : see here
    • insulation - this is the easy one but you must ensure that your installers are aware of the roofs requirements to breathe and the chosen insulation needs to be able to dissipate moisture appropriately

Advertisement