Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deducted a day's holidays

Options
  • 29-11-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

Can anyone here help? Some time back at work I was imtimidated and made so upset that I did not arrive to work the next day. On Returning back to work, I summoned my employer and explained the reason as to why I was missing that day.

Just the other day, my supervisor informed me that I was to loose a days holiday for failing to turn up to work on that following day that I was intimidated. This has made me feel so angry but it is very hard to just take it up with him as it is himself and some others who are behind the decision and who are in the favour of the intimater (they are good friends with him).

Can anyone advise me here please? what is the best course of action?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What did you say when you rang in that day to say you weren't coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 eatchicken

I actually texted my supervisor that morning to say that because of heavy snow, I was not coming in for the day.

Ok so I did not tell him what really happened, but why did he not deduct my holiday earlier and not until last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

eatchicken wrote: »
    I actually texted my supervisor that morning to say that because of heavy snow, I was not coming in for the day.

Ok so I did not tell him what really happened, but why did he not deduct my holiday earlier and not until last week?
    You weren't sick so why should he pay you for a sick day?
    My boyfriend missed a few days because of snow and they came out of his holidays.
    Also in my job texting in doesn't count as a sick call. we have to phone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

sarahbro wrote: »
    You weren't sick so why should he pay you for a sick day?
    My boyfriend missed a few days because of snow and they came out of his holidays.
    Also in my job texting in doesn't count as a sick call. we have to phone in.

No company will accept a text message for not coming in. As you pretended it was because of the snow you wont have a leg to stand on! sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Id be more concerned about having the issue around the intimidation sorted out, rather than using a days leave for when you didn't show up for work. If there's a situation of work place bullying going on, then focus on resolving that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You didn't turn up for work and you gave the excuse that you were snowed in.
    Your employer allowed you to take the day as annual leave.
    So there really is no issue. You are not entitled to an extra day.

As for the intimidation, I have no idea what sort of intimidation you're on about. I'm sure your employer has a handbook/procedures manual or HR department to which you can address complaints and reach a resolution.

Otherwise, taking a full day off is an unauthorised absence and can result in disciplinary action.

Advertisement