Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single Parent Allowance. Help please.

• 29-11-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

I've applied to the district court to get co guardianship and joint custody of my child. If I'm awarded one or both of these things will the mother of our child no longer be considered a single parent and this payment would cease, what would actually happen? Neither of us are working so she really needs the money she gets from it and it would do a lot of harm to get that money cut off, things are tight enough for both of us as is. I don't pay maintenance anymore because I'm not working and have my child over to stay with me 3 out of every 7 days.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if any of ye have been in a similar position.
    Tbh, I'd rather have no legal rights over my own child than take any money out of one of her homes.
    Thanks.

Comments

... I'm not working and have my child over to stay with me 3 out of every 7 days...

If that is the case, then your ex will not lose OPFP, as she has your child for 4 out of 7 days.

However, if you actually split time an equal 50:50 (e.g. 3.5 days each per week or 7 out of 14) then neither of you would be entitled to claim OPFP.

If you're no longer able to pay maintenance, you should read up on "contribution-in-kind" HERE (Under Section 4) - just so you're informed in case the MRU get in touch with you, seeking maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

actually in the case of lone parents and child benefit the payment goes to the person who has the child the most and every single hour of the day is taken into account. so if you only have the child 3 days your partner has him/her for 4 meaning they have the entitlement.

Advertisement