Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty: What's all the fuss about??

Options
  • 29-11-2011 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Maybe a bit controversial here but what's so good about it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

TheGroove wrote: »
    its got dinosaurs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It's an aim-assisted console shooter with an extremely low skill-ceiling so it appeals to the masses. The single player is always inevitably a constrictingly linear corridor Michael Bay movie and the multiplayer rife with unbalanced weapons, 'killstreaks', perks and 'quickscopers' abusing the aim assist taking you out in a single shot while simultaneously spinning around faster than a broken waltzer ride at Funderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

TheGroove wrote: »

Good? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's an aim-assisted console shooter with an extremely low skill-ceiling so it appeals to the masses. The single player is always inevitably a constrictingly linear corridor Michael Bay movie and the multiplayer rife with unbalanced weapons, 'killstreaks', perks and 'quickscopers' abusing the aim assist taking you out in a single shot while simultaneously spinning around faster than a broken waltzer ride at Funderland.
    TL;DR version: It's fun. Which also happens to answer the OP's question succinctly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,383 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It was one of the best fps franchise around but since cod4 its been slowly dying

I wish it would die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I don't know anymore :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Cod4 remains the best console fps ever agree or not.. It came out at a time where there was nothing , extremely innovative and has changed the way we play games today . Unfortunaely cause of a year to year release the franchises becomes stale thanks to bobby kotick way of killing great franchises.
    Now people scratch their heads on why its as big as it is but back in 2007 , it was absolute gaming as it finest this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Fun and easy to pick up game that appeals to casual gamers. CoD4 was fantastic fun when it came out (and still is i guess) but it has been all downhill from there in my opinion with BLOPS being the series only saving grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

gizmo wrote: »
    TL;DR version: It's fun. Which also happens to answer the OP's question succinctly. ;)

If waiting for friendly NPCs to run forward to advance the pants-on-head retarded HOOAH point A to B story while you doing so before them usually results in instant death or raging at twats with usernamers SEANIE D STONER, W33DSNIPER or XxAQUAxxRIZLAxX is your idea of fun, have all the fun you can possibly have.

I take it you're a Battlefield player then? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If waiting for friendly NPCs to run forward to advance the pants-on-head retarded HOOAH point A to B story while you doing so before them usually results in instant death or raging at twats with usernamers SEANIE D STONER, W33DSNIPER or XxAQUAxxRIZLAxX is your idea of fun, have all the fun you can possibly have.
    You didn't mention either of those points in your above summary though. I'd regard both "features" of modern shooters to be extremely annoying however they are not, by any means, unique to the CoD series.
    Cod4 remains the best console fps ever agree or not.. It came out at a time where there was nothing , extremely innovative and has changed the way we play games today . Unfortunaely cause of a year to year release the franchises becomes stale thanks to bobby kotick way of killing great franchises.
    Now people scratch their heads on why its as big as it is but back in 2007 , it was absolute gaming as it finest this generation.
    Woah! The bit in bold could do with a bit of explaining if you wouldn't mind.

Ok maybe abit of a bold statement but what i was talking bout was experience point system in multiplayer, which unlocks weapons, Perks, and new Challenges pretty much every game with online out there now has it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ok maybe abit of a bold statement but what i was talking bout was experience point system in multiplayer, which unlocks weapons, Perks, and new Challenges pretty much every game with online out there now has it

Except Battlefield 2 did it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Not really the first MP game to do it, more like taking elements of RPG's and putting them into a shooter. Not exactly the same thing but there were plenty of server mods for cs that had unlockable "perks" and a leveling up system. The biggest reason why it got so successful is that it tapped into that console MP market, its smooth and plays well.. for the most part.

Comparing CoD on the PC to the other big shooters, its not the top dawg.. its just a shame that most console players have never played games like quake or cs.. and even the more recent TF2.

IMO its a lack of good alternatives on console that has made it so popular.

It's one of the few FPS games on console to run at 60 FPS instead of 30 as well, so it does feel a little more fluid than other shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Before CoD4 Halo was the only popular multiplayer fps on consoles. But CoD 4 came out and blew it out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It is all to do with timing, just as broadband became more or less widely available, cod4 came out with an extremely addictive level up system that brought casual gamers into the online community. Everyone knows people who only play cod, no other games, just cod.

Modern warfare 2 came along a year or two later, and at this point it's popularity exploded. It became so popular that on the year of it's release, other franchises postponed the release of their games in fear of it effecting their sales. It played every trick in the book to increase it's profile, the tacked on controversial level for example.

For me, this was the highlight of the series, but there was a huge amount of cheating/hacking/exploitation in this game that was not dealt with effectively by IW and it was beginning to turn people away.

The next 2 games brought nothing new really to the table, so like everything cool, it soon became cooler to hate on it than to credit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kersmash wrote: »
    It's one of the few FPS games on console to run at 60 FPS instead of 30 as well, so it does feel a little more fluid than other shooters.

Your avarege games didn't not even knew the difference between those two, but they made a marketing advertisement out of it.

It can be 60 fps, but it looks like ****. ( no offence )

Cod 4 was a pioneer at its time. Everyone were sick of ww2 games and cod game a fresh look at rpg/fps elements with modern weaponry. It's like: being at the right time at the right place.

Mw2 was great untill fellow players discovered cookie cutter setups, quick scoping and ofc hacking. If not p2p it would be my favourite cod.

Mw3 decided to go with: if it's not broken, don't fix it style. Unfortunatly they did not took boredom in to account.

At this stage every single franchise is moving forward, where's cod stayed in its shell. It will still sell alot, but I bet alot of cod players already looking for some flavour on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I loved the CoD games and when CoD 4 came out it blew me away at how fluid it looked. Thought it was a bit short but the SP experience was worth it for the time.

Since then the games have just been boring and monotonous with the only challenge being hiding for long enough until the jam fades off your screen. MW3 was meh and was just another game filled with scripted scenes but played it since I was waiting for Skyrim that week.

The multiplayer never appealed to me either for some reason on any of the games. Does get frustrating with the crazy hacking and those robots who know the levels better than their own family.

I have to admit. Cod 4 had my favourite fps level - Chernobyl sniper mission. Fantastic

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Im talking about on consoles...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

And its been the bane of online gaming ever since.

Unlockable weapons and carrot on a stick progression based multiplayer are whats killed MP gaming for me. give me a game of day of defeat, zero unlocks, balanced weapons, tightly designed maps, where the players skill is what decides the outcome any day of the week over some stupid master sergeant of the space army of marines master sergeants i just unlocked an AK47 that shoots laser guided guns at people bollocks any old day of the week.

As for CoD, its overrated, and not very good.
    I have to admit. Cod 4 had my favourite fps level - Chernobyl sniper mission. Fantastic

CoD 4 was the last one to have an actual good campaign. Its still pretty poor compared to other campaigns (Bad Company 1 ****s on it for SP), but it had great setpieces and yeah, all ghillied up was great. you might like a few videos ive been working on, comparing my RL trip to pripyat to what its like in game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Im talking about on consoles...:pac:

Doesn't matter who did it first, it's the first one to do it well.
    Which is why CoD is a global phenomenon special and BF2 is just "that game that came out a few years back"

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Doesn't matter who did it first, it's the first one to do it well.
    Which is why CoD is a global phenomenon special and BF2 is just "that game that came out a few years back"

BF2 could never match the commerical success of the COD series as it was never released on consoles. It was still a success commerically (selling 2.25 mllion copies in 13 months and that was over 5 years ago), was very well regarded critically and had a large player base (for PC) for quite a long time. Its far more than "that game that came out a few years back".

Your avarege games didn't not even knew the difference between those two, but they made a marketing advertisement out of it.

It can be 60 fps, but it looks like ****. ( no offence )

While they might not know the difference between a game running at those different frames per second, you can definitely feel the difference. It's why so many fanatic cod players dont play other console fps games, they complain about a clunky-ness, and I'd credit that to the fact that cod runs at a higher frame rate myself.

As for the CoD games, I played MW2 religiously, then found CoD4, which I still love to bits. As for Black Ops and MW3, can't really stand them to be honest. Ive made a switch recently from Console to PC gaming and you just realise there's so many better games out there, why you'd dedicate so much time to such a frustrating, stale (IMO) game is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Having played both BF and CoD, like most on here I assume, I'm going to say BF > CoD.

And its been the bane of online gaming ever since.

Unlockable weapons and carrot on a stick progression based multiplayer are whats killed MP gaming for me. give me a game of day of defeat, zero unlocks, balanced weapons, tightly designed maps, where the players skill is what decides the outcome any day of the week over some stupid master sergeant of the space army of marines master sergeants i just unlocked an AK47 that shoots laser guided guns at people bollocks any old day of the week.

As for CoD, its overrated, and not very good.

CoD 4 was the last one to have an actual good campaign. Its still pretty poor compared to other campaigns (Bad Company 1 ****s on it for SP), but it had great setpieces and yeah, all ghillied up was great. you might like a few videos ive been working on, comparing my RL trip to pripyat to what its like in game :D

that level is awesome. i did it all in stealth and it did felt like stealth operation. the highlight of cod SP series.

the only thing that annoys me its an horrible russian voice acting. i can speak russian, so to hear americans talk in russian and try to be russians is freaking rape to my ears. i love that BF series take russian actors for voice acting.

i would love to go there myself m8. its some freaky place. i grew up in similar area ( most post soviet russian countries had same buildings and even district layouts ) so seeing all my childhood enviroment so empty and abandoned makes me chiver and super interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Single player is brainless fun but I can't take too much of the MP side anymore...And the whole perks, unlocks and streaks element annoys me. If my Barcelona (FIFA) or Ryu (Street Fighter) was worse than someone else's simply because they played more I wouldn't play the series.

Experienced players are already going to be better because they know the maps, guns and engine...Why do they need all these extra benefits too?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

that level is awesome. i did it all in stealth and it did felt like stealth operation. the highlight of cod SP series.

the only thing that annoys me its an horrible russian voice acting. i can speak russian, so to hear americans talk in russian and try to be russians is freaking rape to my ears. i love that BF series take russian actors for voice acting.

i would love to go there myself m8. its some freaky place. i grew up in similar area ( most post soviet russian countries had same buildings and even district layouts ) so seeing all my childhood enviroment so empty and abandoned makes me chiver and super interested.

I cant speak russian, but ive played so much stalker and metro 2033 that i can now spot the actuall russian voice actors from the people doing a russian accent :D
    There seems to be about 3 go-to guys for russian accents in the games industry at the moment!!

• Advertisement

I cant speak russian, but ive played so much stalker and metro 2033 that i can now spot the actuall russian voice actors from the people doing a russian accent :D
    There seems to be about 3 go-to guys for russian accents in the games industry at the moment!!

in all fairness they could just have grabed some hobo from russian district in usa and ask him to do voice acting. he would do it for free or for bottle of vodka. what they choose to do? get american voice actors who butcher language and make it sound like fecking terminator from soviet russia!

i know it of topic, but stalker, 2033 had great great voice acting. i just loved to feck around and listen to jokes stalkers tell by the fire. if you would know russian, then most of those jokes would leave you pissing your pants!

"-whcih car is most stalkerish?
    -zaparozitch" (http://img13.nnm.ru/f/4/6/d/3/f46d353084b64c3189aed7aff5c148ca_full.jpg its lowest grade soviet union car, disabled people were getting those fom goverment, they did not even had water cooling engine systems )
    -why?!?!?!
    -because boot is in the front, its easyer to look after your ****, so nobody could nick it!"

Advertisement