Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty: What's all the fuss about??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

gavredking wrote: »
    Having played both BF and CoD, like most on here I assume, I'm going to say BF > CoD.

Having played nearly every good online FPS since Quakeworld, like just a few on here i assume, I'm going to say CS > All. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

FPS are so redundent, the stories are all the same and they are all liniar with no imagination put into them. I would call them cash crops to satisfy young teenagers hardons for explosions. Its kinda like watching a Micheal Bay movie. There hasnt been a decent one in years the last good one was COD 2 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Azza wrote: »
    BF2 could never match the commerical success of the COD series as it was never released on consoles. It was still a success commerically (selling 2.25 mllion copies in 13 months and that was over 5 years ago), was very well regarded critically and had a large player base (for PC) for quite a long time. Its far more than "that game that came out a few years back".

In comparison to any entry in the CoD series after the second one it's sales and impact are insignificant. So citing that "it did it first" is true but it's not really that important. It's the CoD series that popularised this method of multiplayer progression and unlocks.

That's what I was specifically referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

COD is its own worst enemy at the moment. I liked the series for what it is, brainless and fun to play, but its gotten stale and Activision owning the series doesnt help, I'd love another publisher to take it over and bring some change, but then if they change it , it wont be COD. Sure the SP is like playing a Michael Bay movie, but is that a bad thing? lets be honest games arent exactly known for their plots, the industry has definitely progressed in recent years with stuff like Uncharted where a big emphasis is on the story as well as the gameplay. COD4 does have a superb single player campaign, my favourite of the series, its just overloaded with linear "get to this and push that button/shoot down that thing with this thing" sequences. but when it does do great missions its a lot of fun to play.

I wouldnt call the controversial levels tacked on, well MW3's one definitely is, but I thought MW2's "No Russian" level was a massive step in game storytelling.

Right now though, the series is stale, they're churning out the same game every year with minor changes, and what they improve with one step forward something else takes it another step back. You cant deny it plays brilliantly (when its not lagging) and the engine is by far the smoothest console fps one, its one of the reasons its so popular, the 60fps makes a massive difference to say, Crysis 2's 30fps when it just felt clunky.

Also if you dont like the perks/streaks stuff, play Barebones mode, it removes all of that and its just gun on gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

krudler wrote: »
    COD is its own worst enemy at the moment. I liked the series for what it is, brainless and fun to play, but its gotten stale and Activision owning the series doesnt help, I'd love another publisher to take it over and bring some change, but then if they change it , it wont be COD. Sure the SP is like playing a Michael Bay movie, but is that a bad thing? lets be honest games arent exactly known for their plots, the industry has definitely progressed in recent years with stuff like Uncharted where a big emphasis is on the story as well as the gameplay. COD4 does have a superb single player campaign, my favourite of the series, its just overloaded with linear "get to this and push that button/shoot down that thing with this thing" sequences. but when it does do great missions its a lot of fun to play.

You have a lot of games to go back and play if you think games aren't known for their plots and thinking the most recent example is Uncharted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In comparison to any entry in the CoD series after the second one it's sales and impact are insignificant. So citing that "it did it first" is true but it's not really that important. It's the CoD series that popularised this method of multiplayer progression and unlocks.

That's what I was specifically referring to.

Battlefield 2 was hardly a small insignificant game. And I think it does matter from a historical perspective where the evolution of these systems in games come from and think it's pretty ignorant to dismiss it. Anyway my reply was correcting someone that said that the experience and unlock system was innovative, which it isn't in CoD. If you think that Battlefield had an insignificant impact of the FPS genre then you're just plain wrong.

You have a lot of games to go back and play if you think games aren't known for their plots and thinking the most recent example is Uncharted.

this generation has definitely put a much bigger emphasis on story as well as gameplay, not that older games didnt, stuff like Half Life etc, but a lot of games plots are, lets be honest, rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Also if you dont like the perks/streaks stuff, play Barebones mode, it removes all of that and its just gun on gun.

Unlocked at level 20 :'(

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

this generation has definitely put a much bigger emphasis on story as well as gameplay, not that older games didnt, stuff like Half Life etc, but a lot of games plots are, lets be honest, rubbish.

This generation's probably done the exact opposite of what you've just said. All of the emphasis on multiplayer with a shallow singleplayer mode lasting 5 hours tacked on at the end; something most people wouldn't dream of touching unless they didn't want to get their achievements and trophies out of it.

A lot of games' plots are rubbish but I don't see what that has to do with anything really. I'm pretty sure there's been universally panned movies and albums in the last two decades too.

This generation's probably done the exact opposite of what you've just said. All of the emphasis on multiplayer with a shallow singleplayer mode lasting 5 hours tacked on at the end; something most people wouldn't dream of touching unless they didn't want to get their achievements and trophies out of it.

A lot of games' plots are rubbish but I don't see what that has to do with anything really. I'm pretty sure there's been universally panned movies and albums in the last two decades too.

In some cases yeah, but even the games that came out this year, Portal 2, Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Dead Space 2, Gears 3, to name but a few, all had very enjoyable single player with a decent story that made you want to progress just as much for the plot as the gameplay.
    I have no issue with multiplayer if its fun to play, I prefer SP games first over MP anyway aside from a few. Its good when a game has a compelling plot but not essential as long as its fun to play, do I care why the princess was kidnapped yet again in Super Mario Galaxy 2? nope, is it a superb game to play? yup. likewise a game with a compelling story can make you overlook some gameplay flaws, Alan Wake or Heavy Rain being good examples (yes Heavy Rain is daft but i wanted to find out who the killer was :pac: )

In MW3's case I bought it for the MP first but did genuinely want to see how they wrapped up the Makarov/Price storyline as well. Its cool that games are becoming more cinematic, long as it doesnt compensate the gameplay, in COD's case they are linear, cinematic games but when they do it well they do it brilliantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I miss health packs and armour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

FPS are so redundent, the stories are all the same and they are all liniar with no imagination put into them. I would call them cash crops to satisfy young teenagers hardons for explosions. Its kinda like watching a Micheal Bay movie. There hasnt been a decent one in years the last good one was COD 2 i think.

Bioshock?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Azza wrote: »
    BF2 could never match the commerical success of the COD series as it was never released on consoles. It was still a success commerically (selling 2.25 mllion copies in 13 months and that was over 5 years ago), was very well regarded critically and had a large player base (for PC) for quite a long time. Its far more than "that game that came out a few years back".

BF2 modern warfare came out on the PS2 and it was my favourite game for that console. It was in reality, a completely different game to the pc version, but I actually prefer it to the PC BF2 game (not as featured but way more fun)

When I first played COD i was really disappointed cause I thought the vehicles in BF2MW really added to the gameplay and the killstreaks were annoyng.

tok9 wrote: »
    Bioshock?
    Systemshock?

Bioshock is just the samegame with Ayn Rand sloshed all over it. Although I did really like it, but its one of the few that stands out from america shoting brown/russian people games.

Systemshock?

Bioshock is just the samegame with Ayn Rand sloshed all over it. Although I did really like it, but its one of the few that stands out from america shoting brown/russian people games.
    I fecking knew it!!! I am just surprised it wasn't retro who ran in in to room with system shock written on his forehead!

Bioshock was great, end of story. God, system shock fanboys are worse then cod or bf ones..

Im no fan boy I just played systemshock first :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bioshock was great, end of story. God, system shock fanboys are worse then cod or bf ones..

We may be annoying and sound like broken records but we are right :P

Im no fan boy I just played systemshock first :D

Nah, it's like legitimate technique. If you want to find system shock fanboys on any gamer forum, then just say:

" I played that bioshock game, and I found it prety good "

Amd them the **** hits the fan ;)

I played bioshock and loved it though and there should be more games like it and less all hail america ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

System shock 2 is better though, no hipster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Whats system shock ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you think that Battlefield had an insignificant impact of the FPS genre then you're just plain wrong.

Yeah, I mean don't you remember how the mechanics from BF2 were being copied wholesale into every other FPS for years after it came out. Me neither.

Never heard of it , though im a big bioshock fan , one of the reasons i wanted a next gen system when i was a ps2 user

Seems like i'm missing out in system shock!

Yeah, I mean don't you remember how the mechanics from BF2 were being copied wholesale into every other FPS for years after it came out. Me neither.

Like the way Call of Duty 4 copied it wholesale?
    Seems like i'm missing out in system shock!

The first game is one of the most important FPS games out there, it brought countless innovations to the genre. However it's a bit archaic. It came out before Quake popularised WASD and mouse controls so it uses a strange hybrid control scheme. I'm playing it again now and you need to mod it just so you can configure keys and get mouse look working, even more annoying if you are an inverter like me.

System Shock 2 however is one of the greatest games ever made.

Like the way Call of Duty 4 copied it wholesale?

The first game is one of the most important FPS games out there, it brought countless innovations to the genre. However it's a bit archaic. It came out before Quake popularised WASD and mouse controls so it uses a strange hybrid control scheme. I'm playing it again now and you need to mod it just so you can configure keys and get mouse look working, even more annoying if you are an inverter like me.

System Shock 2 however is one of the greatest games ever made.

Pc game is it? I've only got the laptop... so maybe once i get a gaming pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

I loved CoD UO and CoD 2 but 4 onwards to me has just been a clusterf**k in both single and multiplayer. personally I dont think army shooters make for good single player games, I much prefer sci-fi and fantasy settings

Pc game is it? I've only got the laptop... so maybe once i get a gaming pc

It's from 1999, if you bought the crappiest notebook currently available it would be overkill for running it :)

Here it is in all it's low poly glory:

• Advertisement

It's from 1999, if you bought the crappiest notebook currently available it would be overkill for running it :)

Here it is in all it's low poly glory:

The tits on her, fap fap fap :cool:

Advertisement