Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheelchair access on bus eireann and train

• 29-11-2011 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I moved to America years ago and am thinking about surprising my dad this Christmas by arriving on his doorstep. I'm trying to find out about wheelchair access on public transportation. I used to fly home and roll out of Dub airport and stick my thumb out but now I have my wife and need to upgrade a little:D
    Anyone know if Bus eireann is wheelchair friendly? I'm paralyzed so cant walk at all but can climb out of my chair and into a bus seat.
    Our the trains accessible? Or does anyone know if it is still arm/leg and first born to rent an automatic car??
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    kelbro:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

As with most of these things, the answer is 'it depends'. Where will you be heading from the Airport, for a start?

Bus Eireann - Good news is that about 1/3 of their fleet has a wheelchair lift on the bus. Bad news is that very, very few stops can accommodate this very large lift. Good news is that Dublin Airport is one of the very, very few stops that can accommodate the w/c lift. Bad news is that this is only for the route to DCU and Navan.

Irish Rail - Most trains will accomodate a w/c user, though the staff member needs to bring a ramp to get on/off the train, so you won't be travelling independently.

Dublin Bus - Most buses are w/c accessible.

Luas (tram system) is very accessible.

Many taxis will do fixed price deals from the airport. You might be best pre-booking a taxi to collect you. If you need a w/c taxi, ask for this at the time of booking, though there might be a bit of a wait. If you can climb out of your chair into a standard car, this would be quicker.

Advertisement