Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA to HDMI trouble?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have no idea where I'm going wrong trying to connect the TV to the laptop. TV is HD and I know the cable works because when I was messing around in the graphics control panel in the multiple displays tab, it showed up as 'Philips HTV'. Laptop is an Inspiron 15 btw.

Probably a stupid question but I assumed when the cable was connected that would be that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

VGA to HDMI really is not setup to work, not without some kind of middleman signal converter. A standard pin adapter doesn't cut it.

3 options:

-A laptop with HDMI
    -A TV with VGA
    -A USB to DVI output

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

diddley wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have no idea where I'm going wrong trying to connect the TV to the laptop. TV is HD and I know the cable works because when I was messing around in the graphics control panel in the multiple displays tab, it showed up as 'Philips HTV'. Laptop is an Inspiron 15 btw.

Probably a stupid question but I assumed when the cable was connected that would be that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What outputs are on your laptop (VGA / DVI / HDMI etc) and what inputs does your TV take?

Have you switched the TV to the correct input? (should be in the AV menu list you'll see computer / HDMI or something similar).

Have you ensured your laptop is sending an output? There is usually an Fn button to switch to external display (ensure you don't merely have your desktop extended).

Advertisement