Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr Horan Statue set for Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Christy Moore's thoughts on the miracle at Knock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Good news, but a terrible article.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Horan was a man of vision, energy and initiative.

statue is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I suppose a memorial to the 25th anniversary makes sense and the article doesn't mention they plan to collect some of the funding through fund raising. But I'm a but sick of the constant idolising. Yes he had great vision, an entrepreneur who and did a lot of good work for the areas he practised in.

But do they have to keep harping on like he was some sort of saint. Castlebar councillors calling for more name changes, calls for monuments and memorial days, petitions on Facebook. We've had the books, TV shows, the film, the musical, the airport already has a bronze bust and feature wall. Enough already.

The airport lay barely used for half it's lifetime, a play thing for vested interests. It's the new management teams vision and professional effort that has made it a success in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Neworder79 wrote: »
    I suppose a memorial to the 25th anniversary makes sense and the article doesn't mention they plan to collect some of the funding through fund raising. But I'm a but sick of the constant idolising. Yes he had great vision, an entrepreneur who and did a lot of good work for the areas he practised in.

But do they have to keep harping on like he was some sort of saint. Castlebar councillors calling for more name changes, calls for monuments and memorial days, petitions on Facebook. We've had the books, TV shows, the film, the musical, the airport already has a bronze bust and feature wall. Enough already.

The airport lay barely used for half it's lifetime, a play thing for vested interests. It's the new management teams vision and professional effort that has made it a success in the last 10 years.

Very well said.

Just re-read the indi article. Another lay-by for people waiting for planes to land would be a good idea but without the expensive statue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The other disconcerting thing about this story is that the Indo scooped our own local media.

Here's Mid West quoting the Indo
    http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/5818-new-statue-to-commemorate-monsignor-james-horan-sought-for-entrance-to-the-airport.html

How come the Western or the Mayo News didn't discover this and put a positive spin on it for the National Press to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Good point Finiskiln - If this was discussed at any full Council meeting or at any area meeting the local media would have known.

That begs the question was the council doing a solo run on this or had they input from the councillors? I reckon there had to be input from councillors on this....some ne're do well got wind of it and scuppered the goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hopfully they'll account for the security of the scupture whenever it is installed as well as commissioning it. And security is vital in that type of landsacape in the current climate of sculptures disappearing from motorways:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

If money is needed for such a worthwhile project, it should not come from the public purse, councillors and indeed council officials should take a leaf from the Monsignors book and go and get money from voluntary contributors just like the Monsignor had to do to complete the airport or maybe even contribute some of their generous expenses to the project.

• Advertisement

Hopfully they'll account for the security of the scupture whenever it is installed as well as commissioning it. And security is vital in that type of landsacape in the current climate of sculptures disappearing from motorways:(

I lol'd, You do realise the sculpture is being erected at an airport, where security is very high and there are cameras everywhere.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I lol'd, You do realise the sculpture is being erected at an airport, where security is very high and there are cameras everywhere.

Yes at the airport but not, that I've seen, on the road up to the airport.

With regard to the expense of a statue, as far as I know, the airport is not owned by the Government, the Mayo council or the public. If the owners think that a statue to their founder is needed/wanted they could stand the cost.

My view? It's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

PogMoThoin wrote: »

From the Indo -
    [HTML]The statue will stand on the main approach road to the airport off the N17.[/HTML]

It would not be inside the Airport and the Airport authorities cannot place cameras on the public highway. BTW i think the airport approach road (R376) off the N17 would be very quiet once the Airport closes in the evening.

signostic wrote: »
    From the Indo -
    [HTML]The statue will stand on the main approach road to the airport off the N17.[/HTML]

It would not be inside the Airport and the Airport authorities cannot place cameras on the public highway. BTW i think the airport approach road (R376) off the N17 would be very quiet once the Airport closes in the evening.

There are cameras on the runway lights which are both sides of that Airport approach road. There are also cameras a hundred metres down the N17 towards Charlestown. Down the other direction from the airport (Swinford) there are cameras all over Asbis and the other buildings which have full view of the road. The area is covered in cameras, you've just not seen them.

Surely the N17 itself is a better location for the statue, adjacent to the approach road? More traffic, better visibility etc.

finisklin wrote: »
    Surely the N17 itself is a better location for the statue, adjacent to the approach road? More traffic, better visibility etc.

I thought it was the foggy boggy mountain :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

Christ that's all the West needs is a depressing mock-up of a dead priest.

Christ that's all the West needs is a depressing mock-up of a dead priest.

LOL:D.

If the Anglo Avenger can copy Stonehenge, why not go the full hog and build the "Angel of the West"!

angel35.jpg

Re: neworder79,

I wouldn't object to that idea but the pilots might.

• Advertisement

It would play hell with ILS all right...

Advertisement