Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500euro charge to call out firebridgade

Options
  • 29-11-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/city-brings-in-e500-firefighter-callout-fee-2947885.html
    Dublin City Council passed a motion last night to introduce a raft of new charges, including fees for those whose homes go on fire.
    Dubliners will now face a first-hour fee of €500 for domestic fires, €610 for vehicle fires and €610 for chimney fires. There will also be a first hour charge of €610 for traffic incidents.

gulp

Last night, Lord Mayor of Dublin Andrew Montague said the real finger of blame should be directed towards insurance companies and their lack of co-operation.
    "I believe the insurance companies are not doing their bit. They are charging a levy on households for fire brigades, but are not passing those payments that they're charging back to the councils.
    "In order to get that money back -- we're going to have to levy a tax on the people who use the fire brigade -- then these people can then claim it back from the insurance companies.

I don't how this works why should insurance companies pay the council. What that got to do with local government providing a fire safety service

will all genuine callers get their money back are will these same insurance companies start refusing claims.

anyway this is about the lack of proper local authority funding, privatisation of fire and emergency services is upon us

people will die over this there should be no hesitation in calling the fire brigade if you need to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

That is insane!
    So now one has to work out if it's 'worth it' to call them?
    It is better to be safe than sorry, I could see lives being lost over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well in fairness this is standard fare outside the capital. But on the other side of it Dublin City Council are one of the wealthiest in the country. So these services are paid for by rates already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056465488

We were just talking about that last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There's bound to be something on YouTube about how to tackle a Fire. Will research that and save myself €500. No christmas tree lights or extra electrical appliances this year either, can't risk an overload *

* I say this in jest but you can be damn sure there is someone somewhere really thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Insurance gives an option for fire brigade cover so check that you actually have it. It's not automatic in all cases. I'd expect insurance costs to rise now for that particular option. I'm not sure about chimney fires also, might be an onus on the householder to make sure the chimney is swept and clear.

Just make sure you use someone elses phone if you need to call them out. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Insurance gives an option for fire brigade cover so check that you actually have it. It's not automatic in all cases. I'd expect insurance costs to rise now for that particular option. I'm not sure about chimney fires also, might be an onus on the householder to make sure the chimney is swept and clear.

Just make sure you use someone elses phone if you need to call them out. :pac:

you might need insurance for damage for your house but what has that go to do with a local government providing a fire service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I am concerned that the corpo will not wake up to the criminal stupidity of this idea until there have been a couple of fatal fires where people were reluctant to call the fire brigade until too late.

Advertisement