Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing window seals

• 29-11-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Has anyone replaced the window and door seals in ther house/apartment?

I've noticed recently that there's gaps in mine and they're letting in drafts and external noise.

Where's the best please to buy replacement seals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Try Archers Glasshouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Loopers

Your windows and doors should still be under waranty. I would think that the seals would be covered under that but you could phone Munster Joinery and find out. Just make sure have your doors and windows varnished because it was the first question they asked me when I phoned. I had one of my windows replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Loopers wrote: »
    Your windows and doors should still be under waranty. I would think that the seals would be covered under that but you could phone Munster Joinery and find out.

So, would this cover our back door? The lock is broken and it takes about 20+ attempts to open the back door. Hardly ideal (or safe) so I was going to ask if anyone had replaced theirs before I saw this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

So, would this cover our back door? The lock is broken and it takes about 20+ attempts to open the back door. Hardly ideal (or safe) so I was going to ask if anyone had replaced theirs before I saw this...

Try a good spray of WD40... Both front and back doors did that to me and the WD40 brought them back to life...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

JanneG wrote: »
    Try a good spray of WD40... Both front and back doors did that to me and the WD40 brought them back to life...

It feels like the mechanism itself is broken - the lower lock is catching. Though no harm in trying it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

It feels like the mechanism itself is broken - the lower lock is catching. Tough no harm in trying it out.

I know the feeling, was actually waiting for the handle to come off in my hand when I was trying to close it... As I said though... be generous with the WD40... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

JanneG wrote: »
    I know the feeling, was actually waiting for the handle to come off in my hand when I was trying to close it... As I said though... be generous with the WD40... :)

ours were the same, front and back. wd40 did the tick for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

anyone know if munster joinery did the crescent?

they dont need to be revarnished yet, theyre in gr8 nick apart from the seals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I take it you mean the rubber seals where the windows close against the frame and not the actual seals within the double glazing units??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

My girlfiend is convinced draft is coming from the actual glazing seal, i cant see hiw this is possible but you can definatly feel something. I am planning on changing the rubber seals which are stuck to the frames, the plastic has gone hard and doesnt seem to fully seal the gaps. I will see if changing those helps before making a decision on draft from the edges of the glazing.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I take it you mean the rubber seals where the windows close against the frame and not the actual seals within the double glazing units??
    yeah those seals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

B&Q sell it in various colours on a roll. Easy enough to apply yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Jimjay wrote: »
    My girlfiend is convinced draft is coming from the actual glazing seal, i cant see hiw this is possible but you can definatly feel something. I am planning on changing the rubber seals which are stuck to the frames, the plastic has gone hard and doesnt seem to fully seal the gaps. I will see if changing those helps before making a decision on draft from the edges of the glazing.

What might help is getting some clear silicone sealant and running a small bead around the inside of the window frame where the glass meets the frame. This should stop any drafts running through gaps between the glazing unit and the frame.

When they fit the glazing unit into the frame they use silicone to seal all around for that purpose. Sure the amount silicone might be minimal but as they are Munster Joinery windows, you can be sure they didn't use the stuff sparingly!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

yeah those seals.
    anyone know if munster joinery did the crescent?

they dont need to be revarnished yet, theyre in gr8 nick apart from the seals

Last year I replaced all the original seals on the exterior doors and windows. Munster joinery have a warehouse beside the tv3 studio in Ballymount, you can buy replacement parts for all their doors and windows. I picked up a roll of their original rubber seal's which just slots into a rebate in the frame, once the existing is removed. You can only drop in at certain times but if you contact the main Munster joinery number they should give you the address and times.
    I hope the place is still open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 aspen01

If you are concerned about drafts coming through windows there are 3 important components to consider:
    1. Seal between window and frame
    2. Seals for the double-/triple glazing
    3. Adjustment of hinges
    They all should be considered in combination: e.g. if you replace the frame seals, but the hinges are not properly adjusted you might still have a gap between frame and window and still a draft.

We went for the professional solution and hired "Perfect Home Windows" to have them check for all 3 things in combination. The have more info on their website: Window Seal Saga
    I hope that helps.

don't live there any more but thanks for the advice, i asked for it 7 years ago :P

Advertisement