Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Speak for yourself :P I've been into it for the last 6 years :D

:D and you kept it secret for so long!

I guess what I meant is a lot of people are buying polishing machines! And there seems to be a good few detailing businesses and online shops opening up and expanding as well, it feels like it is still in its infancy. Might be one of those recession beating industries :pac:

In completely unrelated news, I stumbled upon something kind of scary over on DW.

One of the more respected guys is moonlighting with a bit of Ferrari maintenance
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199059

Just in case you missed it, someone later pointed out a danger in his technique but gets 'put in his place' for questioning the OP.
    http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199059&page=6

Forums eh.. tsk

vectra wrote: »
    Somehow that just sounds wrong
    DodoJuice and DAS-6 in the same description :P

Not sure I get it?

Anyways, its actual name is 'Buff Daddy' which is pretty ridiculous as it sounds pretty seedy. buff-daddy-das-6-orbital-machine-polisher.png

Its just a branded version of the generic DAS 6 much like those sold by CYC and various others, so you get a storage bag and it supposedly has a longer cable than some of the other DAS-6's but I don't know if thats true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not sure I get it?

Anyways, its actual name is 'Buff Daddy' which is pretty ridiculous as it sounds pretty seedy.

Its just a branded version of the generic DAS 6 much like those sold by CYC and various others, so you get a storage bag and it supposedly has a longer cable than some of the other DAS-6's but I don't know if thats true or not.

Do you still not get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Speak for yourself :P I've been into it for the last 6 years :D

2.5 years I blame Curran on here for getting hooked on detailing.

Great little polisher I am..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

mrs crilly wrote: »
    2.5 years I blame Curran on here for getting hooked on detailing.

Great little polisher I am..... :D

9 years for me since I bought my first wax that wasn't autoglym (although I worked in a garage part time cleaning cars for about 4 years before that), probably only 3 since I started using a polisher properly.

• Advertisement

probably only 3 since I started using a polisher properly.

Can I ask a really stupid question, is there a limit to how many times you can correct paint?

Can I ask a really stupid question, is there a limit to how many times you can correct paint?

Yes,
    But as for how many times It would depend on the amount of paint/lacquer on your car as eventually you would go through it,
    On saying that though I really went to town on the Toledo to get it looking good, I was getting nervous as it went along. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Leixlip close enough?

http://spiritdetailing.com/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I had a look at the web site, the look impressive. I was hoping for a place that would allow me clean, wash, wax and hoover myself for a fee. Rather than pay someone to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those guys clean the car for you?

W123-80's wrote: »
    Leixlip close enough?

http://spiritdetailing.com/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I had a look at the web site, the look impressive. I was hoping for a place that would allow me clean, wash, wax and hoover myself for a fee. Rather than pay someone to do it.

Yes.
    Brian is a professional Detailer. He does open days/Demo days.. Maybe give him a ring he may arrange something for you.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

W123-80's wrote: »

Yes, clean the car for you.

Don't know of anywhere that has the facility to let you clean your car yourself....there was one company offering it, but had since gone out of business.

Best bet might be to get a detailer to do a 'Clay and Seal' (clean, de-tar, clay and protect) job on the car for you, and then maintain the finish yourself.
    Pick up some products and head to your local jet wash.
    Wheel cleaner, give them a spray and a scrub before heading off.
    Wash mitt and plastic bag.....pre wash the car in the jet wash, rinse off, cover in foam again and use your own mitt to wash, rinse down...plastic bag for wet mitt.
    Drying towel.

Only problem is that the jet wash uses Traffic Film Remover (TFR) which would strip any protection off very quickly, so you'd have to top that up every wash or two.

Alternatively, buy yourself, two buckets with grit guards and water tight lids, a good shampoo and wash mitt. Fill them in the apartment and bring them out to the car and wash....you'd have to wash on a regular basis to ensure not to damage the paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Curran wrote: »
    Yes, clean the car for you.

Don't know of anywhere that has the facility to let you clean your car yourself....there was one company offering it, but had since gone out of business.

Best bet might be to get a detailer to do a 'Clay and Seal' (clean, de-tar, clay and protect) job on the car for you, and then maintain the finish yourself.
    Pick up some products and head to your local jet wash.
    Wheel cleaner, give them a spray and a scrub before heading off.
    Wash mitt and plastic bag.....pre wash the car in the jet wash, rinse off, cover in foam again and use your own mitt to wash, rinse down...plastic bag for wet mitt.
    Drying towel.

Only problem is that the jet wash uses Traffic Film Remover (TFR) which would strip any protection off very quickly, so you'd have to top that up every wash or two.

Alternatively, buy yourself, two buckets with grit guards and water tight lids, a good shampoo and wash mitt. Fill them in the apartment and bring them out to the car and wash....you'd have to wash on a regular basis to ensure not to damage the paint.

Fair play. Might look into the clay and seal job. sounds good.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Ive got these x2, question is can they be used together?

Does Demon shine go on after wash and wax after or are they not complementary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

they are both basicaly the same thing, they just top up the shine after washing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 StevieJ

Can someone recommend a good wax friendly prewash. I do not have a snow foam lance and was wondering if there is anything else out there that can be used to help loosen up the grime before washing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

StevieJ wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good wax friendly prewash. I do not have a snow foam lance and was wondering if there is anything else out there that can be used to help loosen up the grime before washing.

Use basic snow foam, prewash like citrus prewash will strip wax. Without a snowfoam lance a good shampoo like Maxisudz II is wax safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I got some of that DS and works a treat. I will have to give her a full cleaning though. Swirll marks are the least of my worries, I got fading laquer and need a serious paint correction done. I'll see how I get on with some elbow grease before getting a D/A.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'll see how I get on with some elbow grease before getting a D/A.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Chemical Guys P40 will do a good job of boosting the faded colour, and help hide some of the light swirls. You'll get good results, but no correction!
    Make sure to give it good protection to seal all your hard work! ;)

StevieJ wrote: »

Get yourself a decent pump pressure sprayer.
    Strong mix of shampoo and water in the sprayer, coat the car and let dwell for a few mins. Hose off with as little pressure as possible.
    Wont be the most effective, will help soften some of the dirt....will be better than nothing! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 StevieJ

Thanks guys will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

had to work today...hoping to clean and do some correction work with the DA tomorrow.

Any recommendations on rpm settings, etc on the Kestrel for removing swirls?

• Advertisement

Working at about 2500 / 3000 rpm will be safe.

Generally.....
    Speed 1, to spread the polish on one pass, move onto....
    Speed 2, to warm the polish up, two passes, move onto....
    Speed 3, to work polish until clear...two or three passes.....move onto....
    Speed 2, to final refine...
    Buff off.

Work in small sections, 12" x 12" sections...bigger and the polish dries out or not worked properly.
    Take your time, be patient, dont expect full correction in just one or two hits. A panel an evening, or two a day off and enjoy it, because it can get tedious.

Hope this helps! ;)

Working at about 2500 / 3000 rpm will be safe.

Generally.....
    Speed 1, to spread the polish on one pass, move onto....
    Speed 2, to warm the polish up, two passes, move onto....
    Speed 3, to work polish until clear...two or three passes.....move onto....
    Speed 2, to final refine...
    Buff off.

Work in small sections, 12" x 12" sections...bigger and the polish dries out or not worked properly.
    Take your time, be patient, dont expect full correction in just one or two hits. A panel an evening, or two a day off and enjoy it, because it can get tedious.

Hope this helps! ;)

Cheersman ...helps alot....I've read most of thi..just need to fill in a few blanks

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Quick q: How much polish to use per sections? I'm using the Menzerna pack that comes with the Kestrel... With SRP I was told a few
    skittles worth on the pad...same for this?

On a totally polish free polish pad, you will need a bit more, but generally 3 blobs, skittle, or a small bit bigger in size will be ideal.

SRP though, I personally wouldn't use on a machine...leave that for the Menzera! SRP has fillers so will defeat the correction as you wont be able to see if there is still light swirling. SRP by hand if you want to hid some of the remaining scratching.

On a totally polish free polish pad, you will need a bit more, but generally 3 blobs, skittle, or a small bit bigger in size will be ideal.

SRP though, I personally wouldn't use on a machine...leave that for the Menzera! SRP has fillers so will defeat the correction as you wont be able to see if there is still light swirling. SRP by hand if you want to hid some of the remaining scratching.

No bother.. yeah I have the SRP there from before...very good at filling the swirls alright but doesn't last unfortunately...I'll leave that to hand.

I think I will take your advice and gradually do the car as there is alot of correction work to do.

Wish I had a private driveway... felt like some kind of car-paedo working on the car today! Neighbours eh, :pac:

Wish I had a private driveway... felt like some kind of car-paedo working on the car today! Neighbours eh, :pac:

What were you doing to your car????? :D

What did you do today...any pictures of the finished job?

I do mine on the road all the time. I am oblivious to passers when I em engrossed in cleaning

What were you doing to your car????? :D

What did you do today...any pictures of the finished job?

Just washed and de-tarred. I was planning on doing a lot more (clay and polish) but it was pretty blustery and overcast so that pissed me off quite a bit. It was supposed to be calm and warm, stupid weather forecast.

When I was removing the tar I tried putting some Autoglym tar remover into an old windolene bottle to spray it on instead of the usual dab/wipe method, it worked ok for a bit but the wind was blowing it everywhere and so as not to get it in my eyes and all over my clothes I waited for it to die down a bit. So I went back out and started at it but the pump was already fubared. I knew it would eat the seals but didn't think it would be that fast! I carried on detarring anyway with cloth and bottle so if tomorrow is a bit less windy I might get to clay and polish.

First time jitters for both of those of course, but should be fine.

I do mine on the road all the time. I am oblivious to passers when I em engrossed in cleaning

I have been known to crack open the odd bottle of Bulmers on a sunny day whilst out playing with my cars.... :o

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I have a sixth sense for rubberneckers.

Wait till they see me taking an 'angle grinder' to the paint :eek: :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement