Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    AG HD wax has got good reviews.
    I cannot say how it is as I never used it.

What sealant would you recommend for me so?I'm just about out of wax anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lads, we need 1 more name for the D/A group buy if anyone here is interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056588521&page=3

The best thing about AG HD Wax from what I've heard, apart from it doing its job very well, is that it doesn't leave a white powder in all the cracks of the car like their other waxes do. This is why I love Meguiars, no powder ****e from any of their products!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Chemical guys jetseal is very good. I use it with collinite wax ontop for winter protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Recently go a DA and I am working on 100% correction panel by panel, however its a long and probably unachievable goal.

The holy grail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have tried various sealants but what I use now is Wolf's Body Wrap.

Used it on my own white car and on the Black Toledo.
    Superb results. The only problem is we have lost our Irish Supplier but is available from the UK,

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/wolf-39-s-chemicals-nano-body-wrap/prod_901.html

It is a liquid so not white residue or dust off this. Simple to use also.

I use this to wash the two cars to help preserve the coating

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/car-wash-shampoos/wolfs-chemicals-nano-bathe-shampoo/prod_940.html

I might order some of this next

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/wolfs-chemicals-nano-quick-detailer-500ml/prod_936.html

Now I am in Contact with Jesse ( Wolfman himself :) )

He has informed me that a dealer will be here in Ireland shortly. When exactly he did not say, He also showed a new product coming along shortly. Very similar to Body Wrap but will be scratch resistant.
    I will definately be trying that one out.

Hope this helps you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 DubDetailer

He has informed me that a dealer will be here in Ireland shortly. When exactly he did not say, He also showed a new product coming along shortly. Very similar to Body Wrap but will be scratch resistant.
    I will definately be trying that one out.

Hope this helps you.

There sure will be ;)

If your looking for a good readily available sealant try AG Extra Gloss, i love the stuff for and AIO

HD wax is extremely good and like all AG products it does exactly what it says on the tin and is user friendly.

There is a new spray sealant in production from one of our suppliers, should be ready soon, when it is we will distribute some sample for people to try such as Listermint, Fitzgeme and get some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭vectra

There sure will be ;)

If your looking for a good readily available sealant try AG Extra Gloss, i love the stuff for and AIO

HD wax is extremely good and like all AG products it does exactly what it says on the tin and is user friendly.

There is a new spray sealant in production from one of our suppliers, should be ready soon, when it is we will distribute some sample for people to try such as Listermint, Fitzgeme and get some feedback

I take it that it is going to be your good self?
    If so, could you guesstimate when?

I take it that it is going to be your good self?
    If so, could you guesstimate when?

We are just trying to get ourselfs together, we would hope to have it by end of April, once this DA group buy is out of the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got myself some AG HD wax this morning, will try it out this weekend.

Got myself some AG HD wax this morning, will try it out this weekend.

You wont be dissappointed, do one layer leave 24 hours then do another and your good for 3 months min :cool:

Great job by the way ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just an update on the Car Detailing Forum request. It was decided to reject the forum. Dont understand myself looking at other forums approved this month but mine is not to question why. I suppose the admins feel there is existing functionality already by using the tags in the DIY forum.

Anyway off to Detailing World to browse the Showroom section, then checkout the Wax and Sealants sub-section to get some answers on the above points..........................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Obviously not enough detailing related advertising revenue envisaged ;)

The biggest drawback is lack of opportunity to organise threads.

Perhaps we could exploit stickies under the DIY thread allowing subscribers to reasonably easily get to relevant information.

eg) sticky: - Wax and sealant
    First post could be regularly edited to reflect our experiences and advice as time passes. Follow up posts could be users feedback etc.

... and of course the pics thread :D
    Such a shame we couldn't be afforded our own forum.

Just an update on the Car Detailing Forum request. It was decided to reject the forum. Dont understand myself looking at other forums approved this month but mine is not to question why. I suppose the mods feel there is existing functionality already by using the tags in the DIY forum.

Mods didn't make the decision fella. As a fellow mod you should know that and I'd expect more from you in regards to that.I'm a active user in here and gave a +1 to the forum. I only seen it was rejected when you posted here.Their decision is made so I guess we have to move on now and reshape this subforum into the better place it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Do the mods decide? I thought new forums had requirements to reach. I was looking into this recently for an idea of my own but I doubt the interest is there.

Embarrassed to admit that I didn't vote.

My vote was unlikely to make the critical difference but perhaps visibility of that thread or lack thereof may have influenced the outcome.

Mods didn't make the decision fella. As a fellow mod you should know that and I'd expect more from you in regards to that.I'm a active user in here and gave a +1 to the forum. I only seen it was rejected when you posted here.Their decision is made so I guess we have to move on now and reshape this subforum into the better place it should be.

Changed that to admins there for ya, dont jump down my throat please for nomenclature mistakes and leave the "fella" stuff out, it comes across a bit patronising unless your Mike Brewer. I just requested the forum and championed it, I did my best. No the mods dont make the decision.

Come on chaps. Think of the beading ... It's Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

E39MSport wrote: »
    Embarrassed to admit that I didn't vote.

My vote was unlikely to make the critical difference but perhaps visibility of that thread or lack thereof may have influenced the outcome.

i disappoint :(

E39MSport wrote: »
    Obviously not enough detailing related advertising revenue envisaged ;)

The biggest drawback is lack of opportunity to organise threads.

Perhaps we could exploit stickies under the DIY thread allowing subscribers to reasonably easily get to relevant information.

eg) sticky: - Wax and sealant
    First post could be regularly edited to reflect our experiences and advice as time passes. Follow up posts could be users feedback etc.

... and of course the pics thread :D
    Such a shame we couldn't be afforded our own forum.

There's a sticky already which has been waiting for people to update yet.
    Changed that to admins there for ya, dont jump down my throat please for nomenclature mistakes and leave the "fella" stuff out, it comes across a bit patronising unless your Mike Brewer. I just requested the forum and championed it, I did my best. No the mods dont make the decision.

Changing it now makes it no different, you were trying to imply that this rejection was somehow down to the mods, which in fact I gave my opinion on the matter in the request thread as other people did and had no other say.

I haven't been approached by any of the admins yet on how we want this forum to proceed so I'm obviously open to suggestions from all the regulars.

Ha... didn't even see that sticky. Case in point really.

I don't expect to see threads about glazes etc in a DIY sub forum but hey ho.

I've been away for a bit anyways so not concentrating as much I should.

Let's make the most of it :)

• Advertisement

Changing it now makes it no different, you were trying to imply that this rejection was somehow down to the mods.

Jesus TestTransmission stop throwing your toys out of the pram. Was I not the one on the thread pointing out to the motors mods that it wasnt their decision (post #40,43,99) when they were making summary judgements (post #86) on the request thread, or when they were harping on about the lack of posts on this thread (post #2,6, 22, 38, 39,). Your being unfair to me here. I had to defend the forum request a lot, and mostly from the admins and motors mods. I tried, now can you leave it there.

Jesus TestTransmission stop throwing your toys out of the pram. Was I not the one on the thread pointing out to the motors mods that it wasnt their decision (post #40,43,99) when they were making summary judgements (post #86) on the request thread, or when they were harping on about the lack of posts on this thread (post #2,6, 22, 38, 39,). Your being unfair to me here. I had to defend the forum request a lot, and mostly from the admins and motors mods. I tried, now can you leave it there.

I'm not the one throwing the toys out of my pram here.The forum request was rejected and your first reaction was to the blame motors mods for this decision ie me, which is totally unfounded.I'm not concerned in what was said in the forum request thread as that issue has now been resolved.

As you suggested let's it leave it here. I'd just appreciate if you weren't so quick to blame the mods when it wasn't our decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Gentlemen, shake hands, have a man hug and detail your cars, we are all on the same team here.

PS, how do we get a "detailing" prefix/tag added to the new post drop down menu thingy.

Vexorg wrote: »

PS, how do we get a "detailing" prefix/tag added to the new post drop down menu thingy.

I'll be asking the admins to do so, waiting for feedback from ye guys regarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Started spraying the door trims, will leave the bumpers for a few days.

spray.jpg

TT that's great, I am new to detailing my self so am not sure what other prefixes might be used. However, I think it may be an idea to choose just one prefix while things are in their infancy and we can suggest more as we go along?

Thoughts on prefixes anyone?

I think some guides might be useful also, I am aware that there are many guides over on detailing world but a few basic ones of our own might not go amiss. Any suggestions?

I would like to see a basic guide say no machine assistance other than a vacuum cleaner, so wash, and polish etc. by hand.

A mid guide, with machine assistance, pressure washer, foam lance, machine polish.

Advanced guide, machine assistance, paint correction etc.

Perhaps some of the more experienced detailers could start some of these guides.

I have a steam cleaner in the shed which I am going to locate and use to clean my seats, so I can do up a guide for that, not that many will have steam cleaners but what the hell I have one and do not have a carpet/upholstery cleaner.

Lets work towards dedicated forum.

I think it would be a good idea to welcome those involved in the trade to share their expertise, I think they should make themselves known as "Trade" by showing their business name in a signature perhaps if that is an acceptable practice. Business is tough enough at the moment, so they should agree to not sniping at other business if they disagree with a point being made do so constructively and not in a manner that causes the other poster to become defensive. That way we can all enjoy the forum and get the best results from our detailing.

TL;DR :)

What else would make useful reading?

Vexorg the only prefix will be detailing, you can't put in a whole load. So all detailing threads will appear when you select the detailing prefix. To categorise the sections you would needmabout 10 prefix,s which would be a total mess. I don't know how stickies work with prefixes, if we have too many they will clog up the default any prefix page.

fitzgeme, that makes sense, perhaps TestTransmission can arrange for that to happen.

Getting people to use the prefix will be the problem, the ones that are there already get little use. Epically new posters won't know to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Vexorg wrote: »
    fitzgeme, that makes sense, perhaps TestTransmission can arrange for that to happen.

It was his idea in the first place to have the tags and I too hope that people actually use them.

We could have an arrangement that if you start a thread about something detailing-related without tagging it, you get a week's ban from Motoring :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement