Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink in the o2

Options
  • 29-11-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Was at kasabian on Saturday night. Great gig.

But 6 euro a "pint"??

They were taking the piss!!
    Ended up giving out to one of the bar men for giving us a "pint" which was in the plastic cups (which you'd expect) but half of it was head!!
    Just thought it was crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You can't really complain if you bought it, it's how they can justify giving people sub-standard drinks for an over inflated price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You paid to see Kasabian and complain about paying 6 quid for a pint?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can't really complain if you bought it, it's how they can justify giving people sub-standard drinks for an over inflated price.

Basic Economics, scarce in relation to demand. I agree you can't buy it , knowing the price, and then complain afterwards. Its a bit like buying a ticket from a tout & then complaining about the prices they charge.
    If there was no demand the price would drop. Think about that next time you pay over the odds for a warm plastic bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

First of all I didn't know the price when I went to the bar. Expected it to be dearer than normal but still thought 6 Euro was a bit steep.
    Mainly it was being charged that much and half of the plastic cup was head and it wasn't a proper pint that pissed me off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the prices are not displayed isn't that against the law?
    If you were not happy with the product or service why did you pay for it?
    And still consume it, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

KoolKid wrote: »

So the OP cannot have a tipple at a concert due to the above normal price?

How about an option to bring in cans? :P Like all venues, the O2 has a monopoly on what they can charge for drink and the consumer has no other choice if they get thirsty.

Perhaps do what I did before, have a few beforehand across the way in the hotel or go around the corner to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Or even better bring a nice bottle of coke with some tasty JD in it with you ;)

Agree with the OP all the same, price is a rip off however I wouldnt pay it.

gurramok wrote: »
    So the OP cannot have a tipple at a concert due to the above normal price?.
    He can, but I don't see how you can complain after paying for and consuming the product.
    Every one knows the O2 is expensive, the prices should also be displayed.
    At the end of the day the customers are the ones with the power to change this ripoff. Don't pay it and the prices will come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Friend of mine brought in JD and coke in one of these things that she had tied to her back with some elaborate bra-tying-work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiking-Hydration-System-Water-Reservoir/dp/B00561J7CA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322750103&sr=8-5

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The economics of running a bar in a stadium are heavily skewed towards labour costs because you have a big wave of customers looking to be served drinks immediately before the gig and during the breaks. For a lot of the time in a stadium, the staff who serve drinks are more or less idle but still have to be paid.

If a stadium employed the same ratio of staff to customers that you'd have in a typical busy pub, there would be massive queues during the break when you'd have thousands of people coming out at the same time looking for drinks. The alternative is to employ a large number of staff, each of whom will only serve a relatively small number of customers, in which case to cover the (relatively high) labour costs you have to increase the prices over what people would expect to pay in a regular pub or nightclub.

A cinema can stagger start times to keep the popcorn counter at a constant level of activity, if you run a large pop concert you don't have that option, hence higher prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

number10a wrote: »
    Friend of mine brought in JD and coke in one of these things that she had tied to her back with some elaborate bra-tying-work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiking-Hydration-System-Water-Reservoir/dp/B00561J7CA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322750103&sr=8-5

2 litres of JD n Coke, now your talking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah c'mon now, you get nose bleeds up on that high horse eh?

The OP is entitled to bítch about the price of a beer if he/she wants to.
    Granted it's not the ideal scenario to complain after the event but he/she knows better next time, just because someone pays for it doesn't commit them to silence hereafter.

coylemj wrote: »
    The economics of running a bar in a stadium are heavily skewed towards labour costs because you have a big wave of customers looking to be served drinks immediately before the gig and during the breaks. For a lot of the time in a stadium, the staff who serve drinks are more or less idle but still have to be paid.

If a stadium employed the same ratio of staff to customers that you'd have in a typical busy pub, there would be massive queues during the break when you'd have thousands of people coming out at the same time looking for drinks. The alternative is to employ a large number of staff, each of whom will only serve a relatively small number of customers, in which case to cover the (relatively high) labour costs you have to increase the prices over what people would expect to pay in a regular pub or nightclub.

A cinema can stagger start times to keep the popcorn counter at a constant level of activity, if you run a large pop concert you don't have that option, hence higher prices.

while your argument is valid you can also look at it another way and average out the labour costs over the time of the show/opening period of the stadium..or I prefer to see it in even more simple terms:

captive audience = ability to over-charge

simple.

ah c'mon now, you get nose bleeds up on that high horse eh?

The OP is entitled to bítch about the price of a beer if he/she wants to.
    Granted it's not the ideal scenario to complain after the event but he/she knows better next time, just because someone pays for it doesn't commit them to silence hereafter.

The air is fine but Ill keep the parachute just in case..;)
    The OP is entitled to rant and bitch away.
    The thing is this, most customer service businesses are motivated by some form of customer satisfaction. If service is bad or prices are too dear the customer gives their business to someone else. The problem is the bar in the O2 is as monopoly so customer service and value goes out the window and is replaced with ripoff pricing and bad service and attitude. In this situation complaining later is no good.
    Does who ever runs that bar care if the customer complains after'
    If 10000 people go to the 02 tonight , buy their beer and come on here, or Joe Duffy tomorrow and complain, will the owners of that bar care?

No...
    However, if 10000 people go to the O2 tonight and none of them spend any money on beer what will happen.?
    It's up to people to make a difference.

The air is fine but Ill keep the parachute just in case..;)
    The OP is entitled to rant and bitch away.
    The thing is this, most customer service businesses are motivated by some form of customer satisfaction. If service is bad or prices are too dear the customer gives their business to someone else. The problem is the bar in the O2 is as monopoly so customer service and value goes out the window and is replaced with ripoff pricing and bad service and attitude. In this situation complaining later is no good.
    Does who ever runs that bar care if the customer complains after'
    If 10000 people go to the 02 tonight , buy their beer and come on here, or Joe Duffy tomorrow and complain, will the owners of that bar care?

No...
    However, if 10000 people go to the O2 tonight and none of them spend any money on beer what will happen.?
    It's up to people to make a difference.

yep, you have a point but I think some unsuspecting people may learn from the moanings of others and will decide not buy from the bar now that they are aware of the costs.

I was at the O2 last year and I was fairly shocked by the price of a beer too, I was expecting €5 but I decided to have the one pint and leave it at that. I didn't see the price before ordering but I could have asked etc...I was OK with paying the high price once and learning from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sarahbro wrote: »
    First of all I didn't know the price when I went to the bar. Expected it to be dearer than normal but still thought 6 Euro was a bit steep.
    Mainly it was being charged that much and half of the plastic cup was head and it wasn't a proper pint that pissed me off.
    You could have asked the price beforehand, there is a weird hangup people have about not asking for prices of drink before they buy it. While they would make certain to know the price of other lower priced items they frequently buy.

You could have refused to pay if it wasn't a pint. I am not sure what the legality is if they did pull a proper pint, are you obliged to pay? could they throw you out if you refused to pay after hearing the price?
    That law was ridiculous, the prices can be just inside the door and you only have to list a handful of drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I dont understand why people have to drink at concerts anyway. if you like the band, which id presume you would if youre there, why do you need alcohol to make it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

I dont understand why people have to drink at concerts anyway. if you like the band, which id presume you would if youre there, why do you need alcohol to make it better?

I hope your parachute has a million holes.
    get. some. mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I hope your parachute has a million holes.
    get. some. mates.

eh?
    oh you need to drink to get friends do you?
    thats tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Non-drinkers forum that way --->

FFS it was Kasabian. Of course you'd need a drink to make it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

eh?
    oh you need to drink to get friends do you?
    thats tragic

you are a very sad case. i drink very rarely.

due to E6 pints

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who said anything about alcohol making it better?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,716 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

3 euros for a 500ml bottle of water :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Lokk it as simple as this - cinemas, concerts, spots grounds, olympic games, F1 racing etc etc etc will all charge substantially above normal prices.

Not becasue they have a captive market, but becasue their window of trading is very small, yet they still need the equipment, the staff, the storage, the sapec etc etc.

There's book all about this and ti actually says you are getting excellent value on cinema popcorn and drink.

Book's title is along the lines of "Why popcorn costs so much ina movie theatre" - its very much an economics book, but if you are interested in this type of thing, it makes very interesting reading and goes a long way to explain what are perceived to be high prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Transpirant

sarahbro wrote: »
    Was at kasabian on Saturday night. Great gig.

But 6 euro a "pint"??

They were taking the piss!!
    Ended up giving out to one of the bar men for giving us a "pint" which was in the plastic cups (which you'd expect) but half of it was head!!
    Just thought it was crazy!

Wow! Sounds very expensive.

We can post here complaining forever and its not going to change. Or we can all stop buying at those prices and it will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I'm going to see Brit Floyd on friday night and I wont be Paying €6 for a pint. F**k that, Naggin of capt M and a bottle of coke it is.

Bring your own coke. You'll get ripped off for that as well..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I was thinking that . The wife was there last week for a gig and was searched is this common place to be searched going into the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,716 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

the GALL wrote: »
    I was thinking that . The wife was there last week for a gig and was searched is this common place to be searched going into the point

Yes handbags are always searched

Advertisement