Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The most fascinating story about a family who survived in the Russian wilderness for over 40 years before being discovered.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The most fascinating story about a family who survived in the Russian wilderness for over 40 years before being discovered.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html
    Came across that the other day but stopped reading when I saw it was in 1978, bah humbug sez I, worth the read though yea?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah, some interesting and unusual things happened before the 21st century arrived. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Environment Pollution in Japan on Thursday, 31 January, 2013

Thousands of cows were abandoned in the evacuated zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant after the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated the Tohoku region of Japan and released radioactive materials from the plant. Now, nearly two years after the disaster, those abandoned cattle were found to be contaminated with radioactive elements. Traces of radioactive cesium, silver and tellurium were found in the 79 cattle analyzed by a scientific team led by Tohoku University engineer Tomokazu Fukuda and published in the journal PLoS oNE. Fetuses and calves had radioactive materials concentrations up to 1.5 times higher than the adults. The calves had been born, and the fetuses conceived, after the disaster. In the event of a nuclear Armageddon, don't eat the steak. Radioactive elements collected most heavily in the cattle's skeletal muscle. The cattle showed differences in radioactivity depending on what they had been eating. one group of cows had been kept in a pen and fed grass that hadn't been contaminated in the Fukushima disaster. These cattle were less radioactive than cattle that had been allowed to graze freely in the area within 20 kilometers of the nuclear plant. None of the cattle showed outward signs of mutation. The Japanese cattle aren't the first bovines to be inadvertently irradiated. During some of the very first tests of the atomic bomb at the Trinity site in New Mexico, cattle were accidentally exposed to radioactive fallout. Those cows were also studied to help scientists (and potential nuclear doomsday survivors) understand how the steak and milk suppliers might stand up to radiation.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=ED-20130131-38059-JPN

Yeah, some interesting and unusual things happened before the 21st century arrived. ;)
    Ha, would hav been alot cooler if it had been lately that they found them though.

Thats what i was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Class story

Unusual geological event in Italy on Tuesday, 05 February, 2013
    The ground of the Campi Flegrei ("burning fields"), also known as the Phlegraean Fields, has risen more in recent weeks than it has in a long time. This does not necessary indicate a heightened risk of an eruption, however, says Thomas Wiersberg, a scientific drilling expert for the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) in Potsdam. The Phlegraean Fields are a large caldera, or volcanic crater, lying mostly underwater off the Italian coast.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=UGE-20130205-38113-ITA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What I found most interesting about that was they hunted large animals simply by running them down for miles until they collapsed of exhaustion, no tools or weapons needed. I wonder how effective a method that is.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What I found most interesting about that was they hunted large animals simply by running them down for miles until they collapsed of exhaustion, no tools or weapons needed. I wonder how effective a method that is.
    You not hear that before?? They need to pant to cool down, if you keep them moving they overheat (I still didn't read article maybe thats in it).

Tribes going back thousands of years have used that method. You wouldn't be fit enough though Doc.

:P:pac:

Here we go, Persistent Hunting.

5 mins in or watch the whole thing, tis interesting.

• Advertisement

There was a group of lads doing that with sheep around here a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Humans are well suited to this method of hunting. We're incredible endurance machines. We have things that other animals do not that facilitate it. I saw a documentary before which included a hunt and kill of a deer like animal in Africa in this way.

On the down side, it seems like an incredible waste of calories when using your brain will save you all that energy.

Biological Hazard in Ireland on Friday, 08 February
    A number of dolphins, whales and porpoises found washed up may have been dead for some time before they ended up on Irish beaches. More than 20 incidents have been reported on beaches in counties Donegal, Mayo and Kerry in the past 10 days where common dolphins, pilot whales and porpoises have been found dead. A fisheries expert has said prevailing winds and strong sea currents may have been responsible for the dead cetaceans turning up on Irish shores. Kevin Flannery says the deaths could also be attributed to fish shortages during the winter months. "Pilot whales in particular are also notorious for mass strandings, so I would say it's a combination of all of these things rather than anything more sinister," Mr Flannery said. The Irish Whale and Dolphin Group (IWDG) says it's unusual to see this number of dead dolphins washed ashore. Volunteer with the IWDG Rosemary Hill said: "Any sightings reported we record, measure and photograph and there seems to be so much going on that it's a bit strange," she said.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=BH-20130208-38145-IRL

Meteors in russia, some great footage! How was this not known before hand??

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI

aaakev wrote: »

Is it not part of the asteroid?

Visible over ireland 2nite with a scope apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

A rare Bat Disease in Queensland, not good news for the 8 year old boy involved.

"It's only the third confirmed case of the rabies-like Australian bat lyssavirus recorded in the country.
    The other two victims, both infected in Queensland, died."

"The time from exposure to the virus to the development of symptoms is variable.
    Of the two known human cases, one became ill several weeks after being bitten by a bat while the other became ill more than two years after a bat bite."

Does not seem to bad but if it mutates it could be a hand full.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2013/02/15/13/01/deadly-bat-virus-case-confirmed-in-qld

Is it not part of the asteroid?

Visible over ireland 2nite with a scope apparently.
    It wasn't part of the Asteroid. Just cosmic coincidence.

size of a bus and 4000mph (ish)

It had to be part of though, really...

Why Didn’t We Know the Russian Meteor Was Coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Firstly, I'd like to acknowledge that this news, and link provided, pertains to the UK and not Ireland. Having said that, I would be astounded and gobsmacked if TPTB here were in any way better prepared.

http://www.thegwpf.org/household-energy-bills-will-be-unaffordable-by-2015/

The reason this has a strong presence on my radar is because it's one of the scenarios I prep for. Citizens feeling the need to ration fuel/power or Govts imposing energy rationing on the population, for me, is a situation when the undesirables within our society might start coming out to play at night and when normal, law abiding people are pushed over the edge when their circumstances become extreme.
    On the upside (I say that lightly) we have been given notice, be it from sources like the link provided, or drip fed through the news channels.

This is the first time I have ever seen a date (2015) claimed from so many sources and sites and whilst I treat most of the 'aliens invading/earth destroying-meteor crashing/we're really just sims about to be deleted' subjects with a fistful of salt, this one seems to be a very real possibility.
    Please, please, astound and gobsmack me with details about how Ireland is prepared and that this news is nothing but scaremongering.

Anyway, to keep the thread content appropriate and steer it away from Conspiracy Theory land here's how I'm prepped (light/heating/fuel etc)for such an impact: 1 tonne of coal always stored, along with multiple bales of briquettes and bags of logs, I intend on making this an absolute minimum.
    Several wind up lanterns and torches + a wind up/solar radio with torch.
    Lots of candles + tea lights.
    A biolite stove which has a USB charger port for phones etc
    An identified, bountiful source of logs near to me (sorry trees, but if needs must...)
    Last but not least, a group of people around me who are like minded and also prepared.

Woops! Sorry mods, should have copped that this belonged here!

• Advertisement

^^^English Electric Sector is a Joke. One of the big 6 made near 2 Billion in Profit (obscene), the French one I think, constantly putting up prices even when the wholesale price is coming down, the Northern Ireland one reduces theirs when the other 6 are going up, regulator approved.

Same Company apparently lowered electric prices in France I read, as it was making so much in UK, didn't check that as I don't care.

Na, thats a problem thats being created for the gain of the few.

yep, the french one.

I think theirs like 400+ different tariffs if you go to switch aswell, just to make it extra hard on ya.

“It's a scandal": Greedy energy firms treble profits to £120 per customer in just three months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Definately going to be an issue here and I fear much sooner than people expect and not quite for the same reasons as in the UK (although the same issues exist with our generation infrastructure). There is a reason the esb workers are all on massive wages. They can shut down the country and the government know it. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your view) the Troika dont give a damn. They just want their money like a goodfella saying "fcuk you! pay me". So once the frontline unions open the pandoras box and hold a major strike all bets will be off in terms of what the esb unions will do to protect their pay and conditions and more importantly block any attempt at the privatisation the troika want.

Unlike back in the 80s when we last had electricity strikes and blackouts these ones will be devastating. EVERYTHING runs on electricity. Communications (tv radio phone internet). Travel (even if the petrol stations have fuel the pumps all use electricity). Water and sewage (all worked by electric pumps back down the pipe). Mains gas (ditto). Central heating. Cooking on mains gas or electricity. Food storage (fridges) and food supply (cash registers wont work in shops). Money supply (atms and credit cards stop working). Schools etc will have to shut.

You get the picture.

Basically the esb unions have us by the balls and they know it. Sure there is an illusion of competition but remember Bord Gais is also a state company and their unions might well be out in sympathy. Airtricity and the interconnectors will be able to provide enough energy to just about keep the key services going (hospitals, fire stations, garda and possibly major multinationals) but the average domestic consumer will be shafted.

So the best thing is to prep for it. Have an alternative way to heat & light your home, cook your food, travel around, listen to the news etc etc. Just read through the rest of this forum for tips and suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Danpad wrote: »

I use the Web of Trust addon for Firefox. It tells me that site is not trustworthy and shows up some quite bad site reviews of it.

I use the Web of Trust addon for Firefox. It tells me that site is not trustworthy and shows up some quite bad site reviews of it.
    It's fine, bad rating for political not malware reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's fine, bad rating for political not malware reasons.

True. There are a number of Web of Trust posters who made comments about inaccuracy of the content, and views which are contrary to accepted scientific opinion.

I just thought that I'd mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Ah sure Silvio is back to destroy the Euro. Time to hoard gold (and everything else you can get your hands on) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Surely he has to kick the bucket in some scandalous, drug and alcohol induced, handcuffed, leathery way soon.

Advertisement