Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design Course Help?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 10:47am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for some information on evening web design courses please?

First of all, I'm currently working in online marketing, and looking to increase my skillset. I'm interested in usability and web design, so I'm thinking of a web design course which will give me some skills in the area. I've basic HTML, understand SEO and usability well, and I know the basics of CSS.
    I've a few questions which I'd love some opinions on, if anyone has any!

Firstly, do you think, given my skillset, that a beginner to intermediate course on web design would be of benefit? I've heard people on here before saying that you'd really need some knowledge of coding to be employable in web design?

Secondly, does anyone have any thoughts on a Dublin evening course? I'm looking currently at this Dublin Institute of Design course, which is just under 3 grand. Is the college well known? Does the coursework look solid? Would a Level 6 degree get me a position in web design?

Finally, would a course on web design include a good basis in Photoshop? I see there's modules on Interactive Media Web Authoring and Interactive Media Presentation in this course, what would these include?

Oh, and if anyone has any good online Photoshop tutorials or books that you'd recommend, do post them too!

All opinions welcome, thanks a million, wix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Wixfjord

Have a search through the forum for that course as I think it has been commented on a few times, also if you would rather classroom based courses than self learning then have a look at the courses at madart studio they seem to get a decent response around here (Link)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Thanks Tommy, the Mad Art course sounds great. You're right, I'd much prefer in class learning, at least to start.

Have you any thoughts on starting out as a web designer without learning a huge amount about development?

Also Mods, would it be an idea to sticky a topic on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The general advice would be to learn the basics - (x)html css and something like photoshop. After that it really it really depends on what you are looking to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

Did anyone do the course in Madart studios? If so, would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

Hi,

I did the Madart course - overall I learned a huge amount and enjoyed the course. The instructor is a sound fella and a good teacher.

The only cons I found;
    -it's very unstructured and informal e.g. no theory or notes
    -the course goes at an incredibly fast pace if you're a beginner in photoshop and dreamweaver
    -Some of the course is copying his code without really understanding the theory behind it.

The biggest problem I found
    -the course did not have a final project to refresh everything you have learned and test your skills.

On the flipside, if you are like me and enjoy skipping the theory and getting stuck-in, the course will suit you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement