Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmers/foresters opinions on deer?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

What do you farmers and landowners think of the deer population? Are they genuinely a nuisance or do you see them as not really being an issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Deer haven't reached my forestry yet, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before they do.
    I'm about 10/12km (as the crow flies) from a huge amount of mature Coillte forestry with a fine healthy Fallow population, and there are plenty of 'islands' of private forestry and bogland in between, and we have had single deer appear here in the past. 2 over the last 50 years, to the best of my recollection. :D

I'd quite like to have a (reasonable!) deer population in my forestry, I think they'd add greatly to the amenity value and diversity of the place, but I'd prefer that they didn't appear until my planting programme was well finished and my trees were big enough to not be significantly damaged by them. :D

I know from talking to farmers operating alongside the state forests that deer are a considerable problem, especially in the early stages of forest establishment between tree damage and fencing costs, to say nothing of the grass and other crops they find irresistible.

All the 'talk' is that we have a healthy and expanding deer population. Whether they're a nuisance or a blessing probably depends on your own individual circumstances.

Oh, and venison is delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Rovi wrote: »
    Oh, and venison is delicious :D

Yes - That is how I view them:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

What do you farmers and landowners think of the deer population? Are they genuinely a nuisance or do you see them as not really being an issue?

Have about 35 acres of spruce and we have a significant presence of Deer.

It was too costly to wire the whole area so i estimate that we have lost 10% of the plantation to Deer damage. At this time the forestry is well established and the Deer use the forest as a winter shelter area and we could have 50 - 60 Deer in place during rutting season.

It is great for the younger kids because we have Bambi and her cousin Rudolph:D

But they are doing considerable damage to my neighbour's silage crop because they are now used to easy grass.

BTW the venison is delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

from a foresters point of view...deer are now a massive problem in some areas of the country. i've had over 150 acres of predominantly ash in 6 locations destroyed by deer in the last 18 months...all having to be reconstituted by the forest service. also have more sites than i can count where larch has been eaten. have a handfull of sites with damage to various other minor species as well as other examples of damage to alder and birch in particular from fraying

i really think a proper national campaign is required to control the deer population, nothing against deer but too much of anything or species can be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm taking the long view towards deer, cos there are none near me :( Wouldn't mind a few for the freezer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Fairly fond of the venison myself. Im not seeing big deer numbers so just seeing is the deer population causing as big a problem as reported in the media recently. Everybody I know who is hunting deer is saying there is a drop in numbers. Interesting to hear from landowners side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

ummmmm venison!!

I have not seen a deer around my area in ages, and there used to be loads! i know every year they cull a certain number to try keep herds healthy.. but hey, they pretty much the last large wild animal we have, i must admit, i find them quite awe inspiring when i see them! You can select certain species if they are in your area, that they are not fond of, would solve the problem of them eating trees, and leave areas of grassy vegitation in the middle of forestry plots. Deer like to be hidden yet be able to see people coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

My farm is right next to a heavily wooded area and as a result the place is walking with them, They come over in the night time to graze and are eating me out of the place. Herds of thirty deer are a very common sight most nights. I don't shoot but some of the locals hunt them in the wood which causes another problem, they stumble over to my place to die if they are not properly hit. So by day I'm also burying the fuppers!! Last week I got the unmistakeable smell of decomp as I walked through a gate and found one dead three feet from our well !! Add to this the constant breaking of fences and I can't plant anything at all let's just say the cost of deer is well .....dear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

ok im just throwing it out :rolleyes: there but if anyone has a deer problem i am quite happy to cull them. i am licensed and insured. references are also available.
    the season is coming to an end but section 42 permits can be obtained.
    if anyone is interested or has any questions your welcome to email me <e-mail snipped>
    ideally i would be available to operate in the leinster area but would consider traveling countrywide or if i cant i am quite happy to recommend someone to you who can.
    Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

When is the season ending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

finbarrk wrote: »
    When is the season ending?

The end of febuary but a special permit called a section 42 can be obtained to allow you to shoot after the season ends but only if it can be proved they are causing damage/loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

I wouldnt be a big fan of touting for Section 42's myself. The season is 6 months long. You should be able to manage a herd in those 6 months by taking the appropriate number of animals. By all means if you are approached by a farmer or landowner to help out and they already have a Section, you should oblige them. But anyone touting for Sections out of season is just trying to extend their season. Too many lads asking farmers for sections just to keep shipping venison into the game dealers. Correct management is the key not shooting out of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

hello there famers/landowners i too would also like to offer my services as i have been shooting for many years fully insured and fully certified in meat handling as well so im just as qualified as a butcher so i can keep your freezers happy as well so best for both worlds also section 42 are very good but better of waithing for the rut in the year which is in october or so a lot around then so can be thined out a small bit alright so if you wish to know more please get in touch by pm thanks and hope to hear from yous soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 allterrain

I'm also available if there is any deer shooting going. I'm in North Wexford so Wicklow, Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny or Waterford would be acsessible for me. I can also do rabbit, fox and bird control for anyone that needs it. I have my own insurance and am member of NARGC compensation scheme. I dont claim to be a ''professional'' hunter or butcher, its only a past-time and sport to me. I dont sell any of the deer I shoot, I prefer to butcher and eat it for ourselves. Have been shooting for years so am a pretty good and safe shooter. Anyway thanks for looking and I am at your service. All the best everybody. PM's please so we can swap contact details if required

[MOD]
    Thread closed pending moderator discussion.
    In the meantime, other threads or posts offering deer/vermin control services will be deleted.
    [/MOD]

[MOD]
    Whoops, I re-opened the wrong thread! :D

Thread re-opened, but the prohibition on offers of deer/vermin control services stands until further notice.
    [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 allterrain

@ browning12bore Quote: ''thanks there rovi even though i didnt understand what the problem was as i was just looking for a bit of work nothing else nothing more thanks again''

@Browning12bore, just wondering what you mean by getting work from deer shooting? Do you charge farmers for this service? You must shoot an awful amount of deer to make money from it? By the sounds of it you are a ''professional'' hunter. Surely that takes all the good out of the sport? I dont think I could ever treat it as a way to make money. Personally I'm happy enough to shoot enough for the freezer and friends. I think its pure greed creeping into deer shooting in this country by either lads going around shooting deer for the proceeds of the venison or increase in so called ''guided'' stalking by chancers who pass themselves off as ''pro'' hunters. Personally I see it as a chance for farmers and hunters to work together and manage the deer population. BTW I'm a farmer myself and although I dont have deer on the land, I'd never let anyone on my land if I thought they were profiting from me doing them a favour and giving them a bit of shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

i have to say there allterrain im not a pro and if you had read my other thread in here i said i was quallyfied butcher where id be more than happy to fill freezers for the farmer and neighbours if they wish and in relation to work wrong figure of speech it was more so to get out of the house and go and do something instead and help out a farmer if they had few problems with deer and foxs for that matter also in relation to venison being sold i know lads that sell it and there is not a lot to be made at all so there definitly no profit with me any way also i dont go mad on the land or anything i mangae all my land keeping rabbits foxs and deer down not totally wiped out i shoot elderly deer and limping deer noting more than that
    hope this answer your question

Advertisement