Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Dublin 2

Options
  • 29-11-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,

I have recently got a upc cable installed for my tv. When I say recently I mean 2 months ago.

When I got it they said to me that by the end of the month I would be able to get broadband. This hasn't happened.

I was wondering has anyone else managed to get it or been told similar lies?

I'm down around Merrion sq and I am sick of waiting for them.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They've near enough completed the replacement on cable going from house to house but there's a lot of places in the area where people have objected to cable crossing their property or else where UPC have left unfinished parts for some reason. Those loose ends need to be finished off before the old cable can be switched off and everyone transferred over. But the work is substantially done, even if it took a long time.

There's nothing more to it than they're running behind schedule and it seems it's progressing more slowly than the other work carried up to now. Much of Dublin 2 is a real hodgepodge of commercial buildings with no cable or ducting nearby, council housing, apartment blocks and terraced housing. Not as simple as stringing cable from semi-d to semi-d but perhaps they should have anticipated this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zic

Hi there,

i had the same problem, i got a UPC cable few days ago and they said me "in a couple of days you will have the broadband", but they called me and they said me that my apartment is not available for the service.
    Now, from my apartment i can catch three different UPC broadband, that means that there is someone beside me with an UPC broadband.
    I live in Parliamente Street just beside The Porter House. Please do you know if there are news about the UPC broadband coverage?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭schmooschmoo

I'm near you Art_Wise and have been chasing the same thing. Got UPC to confirm an October 31st date as the scheduled date for switching on broadband in the Mount Street Upper area of Dublin 2. That came and went and then I waited until about a week or two ago to get back in touch.

I was then told that the dates on the computers for the area state 'overdue', meaning that 99% of the work is done and that something is preventing it from going ahead. That something, I was also told, is typically a reluctance from somebody(s) to allow UPC to wire across their property and they cannot say further on the matter due to data protection. I pushed for information on whether this is realistically gonna progress next week or in 6 months and got nothing other than saying to check everyday, as it could potentially be that soon... or not.

zic wrote: »
    Hi there,

i had the same problem, i got a UPC cable few days ago and they said me "in a couple of days you will have the broadband", but they called me and they said me that my apartment is not available for the service.
    Now, from my apartment i can catch three different UPC broadband, that means that there is someone beside me with an UPC broadband.
    I live in Parliamente Street just beside The Porter House. Please do you know if there are news about the UPC broadband coverage?

thanks
    Parliament St. just off Dame St.? I am almost convinced broadband's available from UPC there. Maybe the UPC rep on boards has something to say on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zic

I think that my area is covered by the broadband. When they check the availability they use the website and i think isn't update yet. I think is impossible that the buildings beside have the broadband and not my one.
    If so I sue them for racism :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Art_Wise wrote: »
    Hello,

I have recently got a upc cable installed for my tv. When I say recently I mean 2 months ago.

When I got it they said to me that by the end of the month I would be able to get broadband. This hasn't happened.

I was wondering has anyone else managed to get it or been told similar lies?

I'm down around Merrion sq and I am sick of waiting for them.

Cheers

I'm in D2 as well, I've been get letters for about 6 months saying they are upgrading the city centre and soon I'll have new services (I can get TV and broadband but not 100Mbps and not Phone or HDTV)

Service has got terrible in the last few weeks but they do say in the letter that disruptions are to be expected. But frankly I'm close to looking for a refund at this stage or just leaving, most days I get less than 1Mbps on my broadband, and my TV channels skip out every few minutes.

If they don't finish soon I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

sorry to dig this one up, i'm moving office to South Anne Street dublin 2 and have been told by UPC that there is zero service available. has anyone got UPC broadband around this area? have always used UPC and will be gutted if i have to go back to the dark ages with "Next Generation" upload speeds of 768 Kbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Art_Wise

Hey Timmer,

I spent the last two years listening to UPC telling me lies about their broadband in Dublin 2. They told me it was in and being tested I still can't get it. I ended up going with Magnet who has given my a great service. I had it installed within 2 days and it hasn't given me any trouble yet.

hey Art_Wise, that's really helpful thanks for taking the time to reply. i looked up Magnet and am waiting on a call back. 20Mbit upload would be unreal!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Art_Wise

No problem. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

South Anne St. certainly has had new cabling installed on it over the last year or so. And it's supplying customers going by the cables plugged into the new taps. I'm suprised that UPC broadband is still not available. Perhaps giving UPC a call again or asking to speak to a supervisor about it is a good idea. Check the online address checker to see if nearby properties can get it.

thanks for the update here. i've scanned the UPC service availability tool for addresses up and down both sides of the street and it seems that the south side of South Anne Street (with Timberland etc) can get the full service, but the other side can get nothing except basic TV at some addresses.

just off the phone with Magnet, they can provide a DSL service 15Mb down / 2Mb up for €70 per month with a 12 month contract.

Digiweb Metro Business Express is €60 per month at 30Mb down / 3Mb up, wireless. given that the street is up for a major revamp over the next year i think wireless is a good option!

Advertisement