Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on crate training pup.

• 29-11-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    As expected after all the research i done prior to bringing home our puppy on crate training it seems i may have rushed things with her and she is not so keen on the crate :( the first day she arrived she was obviously nervous and to our surprise she went straight into the crate and rested , i started with feeding her in it and closing the door for little periods and then for longer periods (30-40 min) she has being very good around the house as i am watching her like a hawk and after every feed i go outside tell her "go toilet" and she goes BUT then she started to wee in her crate on blankets once during the night and 3 times during the day one time she went from kitchen to crate just to pee :rolleyes: i caught her and went straight outside with her, iv got rid of those blankets and put in another one she had used for her living room bed .

The last 2 nights she has not gone toilet in crate and when iv got up to leave her out she will go straight away :) My only problem now seems to be when i tell her "go to bed" she will go in pick up a treat and try coming straight back out , if i leave her she will sit in the corner of hall outside the crate , have i rushed things with her by leaving her in it overnight before she may of got fully use to it and if so how do i get her back to liking going in their , iv being treating her each time she goes in but she does not seem to want to stay their :confused:

Oh and i stopped feeding and water in it as she was peeing in it , should i start feeding her in it again during day? As i said she goes into it on command so all is not too bad apart from coming straight back out most times , at night she wines a lot (as puppies do) and eventually quietens down for a while :) when she does not get reaction. any help would be appreciated i want to get this cracked as early as i can with her to stop and future house training problems . ;)
    Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How old is your puppy OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whispered wrote: »

Also how big is the crate - does she have much of room in it? Is she peeing on one side and sleeping on the other or peeing in her bedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://petcentral.yolasite.com/printables.php

Click on Doggie Den and also Puppy Housetraining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

She just over 2 months now and the crate is xxx large as its an Akita and I have a divider in it making it smaller ...

tk123 wrote: »

Also how big is the crate - does she have much of room in it? Is she peeing on one side and sleeping on the other or peeing in her bedding?

I had paper on one small section where I had her water but she peed on blankets and stayed on it, now I took paper and water out and have bedding covering all the area she did not go toilet the last 2 nights but its just the way she is not keen on staying in their too.

• Advertisement

They get used to it - just make sure your not feeling guilty and caving in too quickly! :) I found a heat pad wrapped in a blanket really good for my guy when he was a baby. So I'd tire him out and then put him in the crate with the heat pad and he'd be asleep in seconds. He's 2 now and on crate rest (for the last 5 weeks) and I put the heat pad in the corner he snuggles into it. We have a snuggle safe one - it stays warm for a good 12 hours and is really strong. If you feed he something like a stuffed kong that'll take a good while to eat - she'll forget she's in there and get used to it - this is what I did last year to retrain my guy in the crate. Another thing that helped for us was DAP spray and also if you take a blanket and put your scent on it she'll be comforted by it - eg put in on your bed for a night/sit with it when you're watching tv etc.

They get used to it - just make sure your not feeling guilty and caving in too quickly! :) I found a heat pad wrapped in a blanket really good for my guy when he was a baby. So I'd tire him out and then put him in the crate with the heat pad and he'd be asleep in seconds. He's 2 now and on crate rest (for the last 5 weeks) and I put the heat pad in the corner he snuggles into it. We have a snuggle safe one - it stays warm for a good 12 hours and is really strong. If you feed he something like a stuffed kong that'll take a good while to eat - she'll forget she's in there and get used to it - this is what I did last year to retrain my guy in the crate. Another thing that helped for us was DAP spray and also if you take a blanket and put your scent on it she'll be comforted by it - eg put in on your bed for a night/sit with it when you're watching tv etc.

So I should not worry too much now that she is not so keen on it? ? I will buy a snuggle safe this week she certailnly knows where her bed is as she will go in but I feel if I close it while she trys getting out with her treats I'll be doing wrong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I may have missed you saying this, but is she closed into the crate all night? Or do you get her out for a pee during the night?

DBB wrote: »
    I may have missed you saying this, but is she closed into the crate all night? Or do you get her out for a pee during the night?

I get up once during the night as she is very loud :D , and the crate is closed ye , its in our hall and i do not want her climbing the stairs , do i need to close door overnight at beginning or open ? I am looking for a pet gate too but not having much luck in finding one either .:confused:

Amazon have a good range of baby/dog gates. The dog ones are usually just a taller version of the baby ones. We have a landing/return at the end of our stairs so just put it on there and it's perfect. He has probs with his legs so I don't like him going up but we got the gate when he was a few months old - he was all mucky and ran up to MY bed lol!! :rolleyes:

For the crate I would keep throwing the treats/toys in - she's still a baby so it it'll take a while for her to get used to it and to settle in to her new surroundings.

• Advertisement

Amazon have a good range of baby/dog gates. The dog ones are usually just a taller version of the baby ones. We have a landing/return at the end of our stairs so just put it on there and it's perfect. He has probs with his legs so I don't like him going up but we got the gate when he was a few months old - he was all mucky and ran up to MY bed lol!! :rolleyes:

For the crate I would keep throwing the treats/toys in - she's still a baby so it it'll take a while for her to get used to it and to settle in to her new surroundings.

ok thanks and is it ok to close the crate on her at night then ? il go to amazon and have a look for gates thanks for the replies .

I would close it at night so she doesn't get out and cause mischief! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I wouldn`t worry about the wee. They physically cant hold it in all night untill there a bit older. Get some cheap blankets until then and keep changing them when she wees.
    I get up once during the night as she is very loud , and the crate is closed ye , its in our hall and i do not want her climbing the stairs , do i need to close door overnight at beginning or open ? I am looking for a pet gate too but not having much luck in finding one either .

Close the door.
    I would ignore her when shes whining or barking at night or she'll never stop. I only gave mine treats the first few times so she felt happy. wouldn't over do it. Maybe a chewy rawhide bone or something would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

jo06555 wrote: »
    I get up once during the night as she is very loud :D , and the crate is closed ye , its in our hall and i do not want her climbing the stairs , do i need to close door overnight at beginning or open ? I am looking for a pet gate too but not having much luck in finding one either .:confused:

I have 3 cockers and they stumbled down the stairs a couple of times - messing! So I got a gate from here (Sligo - they deliver). This is the model I got - no need for screws:-

https://www.babyaccessories.ie/product/baby_dan_premier_indicator_pressure_stair_gate

Plus you can get an extension to go with it. Well made - no problems with mine.

jo06555 wrote: »
    ok thanks and is it ok to close the crate on her at night then ? il go to amazon and have a look for gates thanks for the replies .

on the gate. its very easy to train a dog not to go upstairs with a little patience. I wouldn't bother with one myself. She'll probably be able to jump over it soon enough:D.

Bear in mind too that the pup will be teething untill shes about a year old so if she's let potter about down stairs at night your askin for trouble. Just make sure with the crate that its big enough that she can always stand up and have a stretch to avoid getting stiff and sore in the morning.

I wouldn`t worry about the wee. They physically cant hold it in all night untill there a bit older. Get some cheap blankets until then and keep changing them when she wees.

Close the door.
    I would ignore her when shes whining or barking at night or she'll never stop. I only gave mine treats the first few times so she felt happy. wouldn't over do it. Maybe a chewy rawhide bone or something would be better.

The whole reason why crate training works for house breaking a dog is that dogs don't like to wee where they sleep. You take them out to the loo when the cry during the night and then put them back in the crate. OP if you keep bringing her out for a few weeks it'll pay off because she won't be having accidents in the house. It's tough but worth it. My guy was trained in 3 or 4 weeks - the only one who was trained in his puppy class at the vets because he was the only one who was crated. She's going to grow quickly so those little puddles will be floods soon enough never mind the poos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

If you want to crate train your dog you have to be prepared to get up during the night to allow them to pee/poo -if you dont they will do it in the crate and get used to it and crate training will never work. It is a hassel at the start and with my own pup I had to get up 2 or 3 times each night for about 2 weeks but it paid off and now she sleeps in the crate and would never soil it - a dog who is soiling its crate is not learning - you need to get good habits in place now - a puppy cant hold its pee all night - dont put water into the crate during the night and make sure the dog eats/drinks nothing a couple of hours before she is crated for the night - it wont take long for the dog to mature - my dog is 7 months and sleeps all night in a locked crate - no getting out during the night for her.

water is more important to a growing young dog than food. I wouldn't take away her water at night especially if your getting up to let her out anyway. A normally intelligent dog should stop pooing in the crate after one or maybe two nights. I only ever had one pup in a crate a she stopped wetting it in four or five nights. got the crate when she was ten weeks old. I used to put her in the crate about twelve and get up at seven to let her out.

OK thanks for replies again,I could do with a gate for other parts of house too not just stairs so I may still get one, I see a gate here in argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3766303.htm would that be suitable too? I will keep at the crate training I got some tasty chewy bones for her hopefully they can keep her occupied too.

Advertisement