Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Exagguration

• 29-11-2011 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

for a while now there has been a habbit by Limerick public representitives and media to exaggerate how a certain event/development will impact the city.

Reading the leader on-line this morning proves this is becoming a habbit in all reporting.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick_to_reap_the_benefit_of_hosting_rugby_league_world_cup_fixture_1_3290258

In a report on the 2013 Rugby League World cup game to be played at Thomond Park not only is it going to be a multi - milion windfall for Limerick city. But 20 million viewers in 120 million countries will be watching it.:eek:
    LIMERICK City is in line for a muti-million euro windfall following confirmation that Thomond Park will host a group match during the Rugby League World Cup in 2013.

Limerick beat off stiff competition from rival applications from across Europe to stage matches in the 14-team tournament in two year’s time.
    One of Ireland’s three Pool A matches - against England, Australia or Fiji - will be played at Thomond Park, which staged its first ever rugby league match between Ireland and France last month.

Up to 20 million people in 120 million countries are expected to watch the tournament on television.

“Securing a match in the World Cup it a major coup and it is a huge boost because it will be broadcast in 120 countries and it is going to put Limerick and Thomond Park on the map and it will show Limerick is a very positive light,” said Adam Skerritt of Shannon Development.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

Rugby league is alot bigger than you think. It is more popular than rugby union in the Southern Hemisphere & it has a big following in the UK also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If Thomond Park gets lucky and gets a game with one or two teams from countries with a big rugby league following and who are a good distance from Ireland, then there may be a nice little windfall for a few days for various pubs, hotels etc.

But if the ground gets used to two of the smaller countries with smaller followings or worse still a local country, then the knock on effect will be much much smaller.

For a game to be worth the often quoted €10 million figure to local businesses, then it would require the stadium to have 20,000 people who all spend €500 each in the city. Of course there are other income streams than just those going to the game, but for the financial impact to be maximised, those going to the game need to be spending heavily on accommodation, entertainment, retail etc.

We will all be able to make better guesstimates when we know what countries will be playing in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

120million countries ha ha.

Even if 20 million people tune into the world cup what has that got to do with Limerick making money? This game will be worth as much to the city as a decent sized crowd at a Rabodirect league match, no more no less. There may be a few thousand more at a push staying in hotels etc.... But it is hard to know how many will travel over to it. Rugby league is huge in Australia and England and pretty big in New Zealand but that's about it.

It does get annoying that every time there is anything happening in the city suddenly it is worth millions. If it where that easy the Munster games would be bringing in about 70million a year to the city which there is no way in hell they do.

If this match brought 1 million into the local economy I'd be very very surprised. They need to wake up and smell the coffee and stop giving the city lip service and making us look like eijits in the national media.

Thomond Park is a nice stadium and is state of the art in this country but when put into perspective a lot of countries would consider it a very average small stadium. Teams in English football as far down as league 2 and 3 have had bigger and better stadiums. There are 1000's of better stadiums around the world in England, Scotland, France, Germany, Spain, New Zealand, South Africa, USA, South America, Australia and even in some small African countries and across Asia.

I was watching a college football game in the states on telly a few weeks back and the attendance was 105,000, that is incredible and world class. Thomond Park in comparison is a small college football teams stadium.

I love Thomond Park and think its a great little stadium in Ireland and one for us to be proud of but I'm sick of hearing it being considered a world class international stadium. Pretty sure it was considered something like this in the paper yesterday also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

20 million people will be watching the tournament, not the single solitary game in Thomond Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jofspring wrote: »
    120million countries ha ha.

Even if 20 million people tune into the world cup what has that got to do with Limerick making money? This game will be worth as much to the city as a decent sized crowd at a Rabodirect league match, no more no less. There may be a few thousand more at a push staying in hotels etc.... But it is hard to know how many will travel over to it. Rugby league is huge in Australia and England and pretty big in New Zealand but that's about it.

It does get annoying that every time there is anything happening in the city suddenly it is worth millions. If it where that easy the Munster games would be bringing in about 70million a year to the city which there is no way in hell they do.

If this match brought 1 million into the local economy I'd be very very surprised. They need to wake up and smell the coffee and stop giving the city lip service and making us look like eijits in the national media.

Thomond Park is a nice stadium and is state of the art in this country but when put into perspective a lot of countries would consider it a very average small stadium. Teams in English football as far down as league 2 and 3 have had bigger and better stadiums. There are 1000's of better stadiums around the world in England, Scotland, France, Germany, Spain, New Zealand, South Africa, USA, South America, Australia and even in some small African countries and across Asia.

I was watching a college football game in the states on telly a few weeks back and the attendance was 105,000, that is incredible and world class. Thomond Park in comparison is a small college football teams stadium.

I love Thomond Park and think its a great little stadium in Ireland and one for us to be proud of but I'm sick of hearing it being considered a world class international stadium. Pretty sure it was considered something like this in the paper yesterday also.

Where to begin?
    First, what does this article have to do with the size of Thomond Park or where it rates with other world stadia?
    Second, out of 92 league clubs in England 29 (plus wembley) have a capacity of above 26,500. And few in the lowers 2 divisions would have the state of the art facilities Thomond does.
    Third. What has capacity got to do a stadium being world class? The old Lansdowne Rd held 51,000 but was still a dump. The Old Wembley held over 70,000, but the sightlines were awful. Many of the college stadia in the US are ancient and have no bars, corporate boxes and use benches instead of seats.

Thomond Park is what it is. A large (for rugby) modern stadium with has top of the range facilites for fans world class facilities for players and media. Thats why it's seen as a world class facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

First, what does this article have to do with the size of Thomond Park

I think the article has to do with the size of thomond park because that is a huge deciding factor on how much can actually be brought into the local economy.

My point about Thomond Park and size etc... was because everytime something is on there the council or someone comes out spouting how it is worth millions (usually 10 million) to the local economy. They need to put it into perspective. Its a 25,600 capacity stadium when full so it can only bring a certain amount of money into the economy depending on the type of match/event. Its not a huge stadium like we may be led to believe by their exagguration usually. As you say it is what it is, a large (for rugby) stadium with good facitilies no more no less. I only used the examples of England etc... to put into perspective what the stadium actually brings in compared to huge stadiums around the world.

Multi-million euro windfall for Thomond Park Stadium? Possibly if it is a sell out.

Multi-million euro windfall for Limerick City? I highly doubt it unless it is two countries with big travelling support that will stay a night or two in the city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jofspring wrote: »
    I think the article has to do with the size of thomond park because that is a huge deciding factor on how much can actually be brought into the local economy.

My point about Thomond Park and size etc... was because everytime something is on there the council or someone comes out spouting how it is worth millions (usually 10 million) to the local economy. They need to put it into perspective. Its a 25,600 capacity stadium when full so it can only bring a certain amount of money into the economy depending on the type of match/event. Its not a huge stadium like we may be led to believe by their exagguration usually. As you say it is what it is, a large (for rugby) stadium with good facitilies no more no less. I only used the examples of England etc... to put into perspective what the stadium actually brings in compared to huge stadiums around the world.

Multi-million euro windfall for Thomond Park Stadium? Possibly if it is a sell out.

Multi-million euro windfall for Limerick City? I highly doubt it unless it is two countries with big travelling support that will stay a night or two in the city.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Now if you'd only explained it that way in the first place... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Another thing the Limerick Leader, Limerick City Council, etc, seem to forget about the 26,500 people that attend the matches is that the majority of these people are from Limerick and probably spend next to nothing in Limerick, be it hotels, restaurants, bus services. All they buy is a ticket and maybe a pint or two.

Advertisement