Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-heatable Christmas food

Options
  • 29-11-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi! So this is my first proper Christmas as a vegetarian. I was technically a veggie last xmas too but I just ate meat so as not to be annoying. But aside from the fact that I have no idea what to eat anyway I will essentially only have access to the microwave (maybe a ring on the hob if I'm lucky) so I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of something Christmassy and re-heatable?

A lot of websites seem to suggest nut roast but I've only ever had that once and it was awful ( even worse reheated) so I'm sort of at a loss. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Well done on taking the full plunge this year, although it sounds like there's a bit of anti-vegetarian discrimination going on in the kitchen:D. I agree on the nut roasts - awful 1970's throwbacks that have ruined manys a Christmas dinner. I don't possess a microwave so can offer very little advice on what you can do that will taste alright afterwards. If you have access to one ring then maybe try http://www.rte.ie/food/2008/0117/cabbagebrandycream.html using the microwave for a last second reheat for the timbales - it tastes very very nice that dish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I presume would will have access to the oven/hob a day or so before hand? I'd recommend making the Redwood Turkey Roast and gravy and heating them up on the day :)

Will you be able to share the potatoes and vegetables with the rest of the family, or will they be coated in animal fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It's not exactly Christmassy but how bout making yourself a delicious veggie filled quiche on Christmas eve and re-heating in the microwave it on the big day?

I'm dying for my nut roast :o It's the highlight of my Christmas every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm not a huge fan of nut roasts either, but last year my Mum made me an amazing cashew nut, cranberry and quinoa masterpiece. A twist on the boring tastes-like-stuffing nut roast!

She made it the night before and I just heated it up on the day, I must see if she still has the recipe and I'll post it up. Amazingly nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Tesco often do a butternut squash and spinach (afaik) lasagne as part of their meal deal. Could be nice with roasties and veg on the day. I think it can be done in the microwave but it'd probably be better oven cooked the day before and heated in the microwave on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Tesco often do a butternut squash and spinach (afaik) lasagne as part of their meal deal. Could be nice with roasties and veg on the day. I think it can be done in the microwave but it'd probably be better oven cooked the day before and heated in the microwave on the day.
    I have it beside me. It's roasted red pepper, sweet potato and spinach - and it's quite nice.

I had a lentil curry last year that I made. Ideal for reheating, though not especially festive.

Advertisement