Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New headphone choices - around €60 euro

• 29-11-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

My second part of shures have just died, so i'm looking for a replacement.
    I've narrowed it down to 2 pairs, Etymotic MC5 In-Ear Earphones - Black or Klipsch IMAGE S4.

I use this with my ipod touch, commuting across Dublin daily, about 2 hours a day.
    I listen to podcasts and music (wide selection - opera to rap)

Any thing else i should consider?

Which headphones should i go for? Approx €60 budget 3 votes

Klipsch Image S4 Headphones
    0% 0 votes
    Etymotic mc5
    66% 2 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    33% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

2 replies for Atari Jaguar - any suggestions what to get if this isn't available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭massiveattack

MiCr0 wrote: »
    2 replies for Atari Jaguar - any suggestions what to get if this isn't available?

Phillips CD-i?

I heard a few talking about beats by dr dre homie doggg, they said the best value for earphones now are the beats clones coming from china would you believe, there around €8. Just goes to show spending more cash doesnt necessarily mean a better investment sound wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Quotes taken from here:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-205-iems-compared-j-phonic-k2-sp-added-11-13-11

Klipsch s4 (2c3)
    Accessories (3.5/5) – Silicone single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange tips, and metal carrying case (S4i instead includes a velvet carrying pouch and shirt clip)
    Build Quality (4/5) – Housings are plastic but seem plenty sturdy and have articulated strain reliefs. Cable is a little thin for my liking but very flexible and doesn’t tangle much
    Isolation (3.5/5) – Block out an above-average amount of external noise
    Microphonics (4.5/5) – Nonexistent when worn over-the-ear. Noticeable but not too bad otherwise. Included shirt clip helps further
    Comfort (4/5) – Easier to insert when worn cord-down. When worn over-the-ear fit is very similar to the JVC HA-FX300

Sound (6.7/10) – Coming from the RE0 these seem colored and very heavy at the low end, lacking in clarity and behind slightly in detail as well. After some solitary time with the S4, I think that they are interesting earphones that deliver heavy bass impact, strong mids, and decent treble. The bass can be too powerful and boomy for my liking, but that’s more of a personal issue - at least they don’t give me bass headaches. It’s not quite as tight as I would like, but can’t really be called bloated either. I can see why this bass has mass appeal – it can easily satisfy the bass junkie without offending the audiophile. There is a very small amount bleed into the midrange, which is smooth and articulate, if a little off-neutral (leaning towards warmth) and slightly thin. The treble that the S4s put out is the weak point for me – it lacks the sparkle and smoothness of the RE0 and (even after 200 hours) still sounds somewhat harsh and sibilant. Soundstaging is decent enough but can hardly be called spacious and individual instruments can sometimes be harder to pick out than I would like.

On a final note, I had a small issue with the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity of these - they have a tendency to hiss slightly even with normally dead-silent Sansa Fuze, and the hiss with a crappy lineout like the one on my integrated speaker amp is downright unbearable. They are also fairly revealing of a poor source and recordings so I wouldn’t bother using them with an AM radio or that 96kbps webcast.

Value (7/10) – With a sound signature that can be appreciated by bass junkie, audiophile, and casual listener alike – and practicality to match – the S4s don’t lack in any area. However, as is often with FOTM earphones, the hype is excessive. For me, in terms of sound, the S4 lack the “wow” factor of the RE0, Phonak PFEs, and many others. That said, I still consider these good value for money despite the several issues I have with their sound.

Pros: Competent build, fit, and finish
    Cons: Cables don’t inspire confidence, can be too bass heavy for some, hint of harshness/sibilance, prone to hissing

Etymotic mc5 (2c34)
    Accessories (4/5) – Triple-flange silicone tips (2 sizes), Etymotic foam tips, Etymotic Glider tips, replacement filters (1 set), filter replacement tool, shirt clip, and zippered soft carrying pouch
    Build Quality (4.5/5) –Though the MC5 is lightweight and for the most part plastic, the outer (colored) bits of the housings are aluminum and the cables are Kevlar-reinforced and well-relieved all around. The slightly rubbery cabling is very flexible and doesn’t stick or tangle and the entry-level Etys really feel like a quality product all around
    Isolation (4.5/5) – Typical of Ety earphones, isolation just doesn’t get much better than this
    Microphonics (4/5) – Quite low when worn cable-down, nonexistent with over-the-ear wear
    Comfort (4/5) – Depends on the eartips used but the included assortment should fit most people. With a good fit the slim housings don’t contact the ear and the cable exit angle actually works for over-the-ear wear, making the MC5 very comfortable for those who can handle deep-insertion earphones

Sound (7.7/10) – First, a note on tip choice – though the included foamies and Glider tips were very comfortable for me, I settled on the triple-flange silicones and my trusty Shure olives for sonic reasons. The Gliders, though comfortable, seem to accentuate the weaknesses of the MC5 and the stock foamies simply have no comfort advantages over Olives and muffle the top end more.

Though the dynamic driver used in the MC5 is a departure for Etymotic, the audio engineers managed to develop a moving coil transducer that, for the most part, conforms to the Ety mold. The MC5 really does its best to emphasize no one frequency range above others and covers enough of the frequency spectrum to compete with most earphones in its class. The dynamic transducers move more air than the balanced armatures used in other Etymotic earphones and as a result the low end of the MC5 is more punchy and tactile but not as microdetailed or textured as that of the higher-end ER4 and HF5 sets. The bass is tight, controlled, and reasonably quick for a dynamic driver but lacks the reverb and sheer presence of some of the more energetic-sounding dynamic earphones in the price range. Extension is quite linear down to about 40Hz and drops off gradually beyond that, though the earphones do respond well to equalization. Naturally, the low end of the MC5 is never intrusive and imparts no coloration on the midrange – the MC5 invariably remains calm and composed no matter how bassy the track.

The midrange of the MC5 comes with fewer caveats than the bass. Due to the extremely balanced nature of the MC5, they can seem a bit mid-centric at times but in reality there’s no particular emphasis on any part of the middle registers. The mids produced by the MC5 are clear, and detailed but not as crisp as those of armature-based Etys. They are not overly defined but still just a touch grainy and quite dry. With a poor or shallow seal, the upper mids can step out of line on occasion, bringing with them bouts of vocal sibilance but with well-fitting tips sibilance is minimal. Moving on up, the treble of the MC5 is accurate and prominent but not hyper-detailed as it tends to be on analytical armature-based earphones such as the Etymotic HF5 and Phonak PFE. Compared to the HF5 and even the RE0, the treble of the MC5 is not nearly as crisp, bright, or energetic, instead appearing softer and more controlled. Like the midrange it can be just a touch grainy and yet isn’t what I would call ‘sparkly’. Still, the MC5 is definitely not for the treble-sensitive.

Etymotic earphones usually do a good job of separating out individual instruments but aren’t known for providing the most three-dimensional presentation in the world of high-end in-ears, and the MC5 is no exception. The soundstage has good width but only average depth. Soundstage height is also something many in-ears struggle with and the MC5 is no exception - there are earphones that provide a more immersive experience for the money, such as the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet and Head-Direct RE-ZERO. The RE-ZERO is especially interesting since that is the one dynamic most likely to be compared to the MC5 and for me, despite sounding more intimate on the whole, the RE-ZERO has the more natural presentation by a margin – better height, better depth, slightly better positioning and imaging – the presentation of the RE-ZERO is simply bigger and more true to life. The RE-ZERO also has better dynamic range to my ears, though not by much.

Tonally, the MC5 is not as cold-sounding as the higher-end armature-based Etys, not as clinical. It is also slightly more forgiving of low-bitrate rips and poor mastering but the whole garbage in = garbage out adage still applies on the whole. Clipping, distortion, sibilance – any and all mastering artifacts will be made apparent by the MC5 but not to the same degree as with the HF5 and ER4. It should be noted also that the MC5 is not a very efficient earphone – much less so than the higher-end HF5 or the HiFiMan RE-ZERO. Though an amp is not strictly necessary, it does help slightly with the microdetail and resolution of the earphones out of a weak portable player. On the bright side, the MC5 cuts hiss well when used with sources that have a high noise floor.

Value (9/10) – The Etymotic MC5 is a capable dynamic-driver earphone from a company that doesn’t normally do dynamics. Like all things Etymotic, the MC5 is well-built, well-packaged, and highly isolating but requires deep insertion to sound its best, which may take some getting used to for those new to Ety earphones. The sound is clear, accurate, and neutral but for many the MC5 will lack the desired bass presence and treble energy. Even those who like a highly analytical sound may find the MC5 slightly boring, slightly inept at conveying energy and excitement. The MC5 is easily more consumer-friendly than the higher-end Etymotic earphones but I can’t help feeling ever so slightly underwhelmed every time I use them. Unless isolation is a priority, I will keep picking the RE-ZERO up out of the drawer every time.

Pros: Stellar noise isolation; solid build quality; fairly clear, balanced, and accurate sound
    Cons: Deep-insertion form factor takes getting used to; can be slightly boring/lifeless

Your shure tips should fit the etymotic model but not the klipsch. Also the etymotic offers the best isolation with the triple flange xmas tree tips but they go deep in your ears which can be awkward.

The model the reviewer prefers over the mc5 is the re-zero but that has the downside that it requires using a special adaptor due to it's unique build.

Head Direct re-zero (2c15)
    Accessories (3.5/5) - Single flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange (2 sets) silicone tips, shirt clip, spare filters (5 sets), 3” soft balanced->TRS adapter, hard balanced->TRS adapter
    Build Quality (4/5) – Shells are made of sturdy-feeling metal and identical to those used by the RE0 except for the dark silver finish. Long rubber sleeves protect the cable and the 3.5mm L-plugs on both the standard cable and soft TRS adapter are identical to the one used by the higher-end RE252
    Isolation (3.5/5) – Above average and potentially higher with the right tips, typical for a sealed straight-barrel IEM
    Microphonics (3.5/5) – Low when worn over-the-ear, and still not too bad when worn straight down
    Comfort (4/5) – Housings are fairly small and light. Fit is quite unobtrusive in either configuration

Sound (8.4/10) – Released to commemorate the three-year anniversary of Head-Direct’s RE line of on-ears, the limited edition RE-ZERO is meant to be an easier-to-drive alternative to the slightly cheaper RE0 with a touch more bass. However, the most unique feature of the ZERO is the fact that it’s wired in a fully balanced configuration utilizing a 3.5mm TRRS plug for use with balanced amplifiers and sources. Not having a balanced source on hand, all of my listening was done in the usual manner (Sansa Fuze, iBasso T4, mini3) using the included soft adapter. Clearly Head-Direct delivered on two of their promises – the 16-Ohm RE-ZEROs are no more difficult to drive than many mainstream IEMs though they do have a bit of scaling headroom left over and they are, indeed, balanced.

Whether the ZEROs have more bass than the RE0, however, is open to interpretation. I have not heard the RE0s in a long time but still have a pretty good idea of how they compare to my CK10s, which have similar overall balance minus the low-end roll-off. For me, the difference in bass quantity and power between the RE0 and RE-ZERO is little more than barely noticeable – both lag behind the BA-based CK10 in quantity of impact, with the ZERO sounding slightly more filled-out. The ZERO is just as tight and punchy as the RE0s were with a low end that is slightly fuller but make no mistake - the RE252 is fuller still and the folks over at Head-Direct are in no way endangering their flagship with these. While very accurate and fairly detailed, the RE-ZERO presents bass (and indeed everything else) with a delicacy that is lacking in most of the competition and which may or may not appeal to the individual listener.

Moving on to the midrange, the RE-ZERO greets the listener with the usual clarity and detail of RE-series earphones. The mids are very slightly warm and transparency is good. The midrange of the RE-ZERO is generally extremely competent – I can’t call it forward or recessed, thin or full, wet or dry. I remember finding the mids of the RE0 a bit thin but the RE-ZERO has none of that. Like the bass and treble, the midrange lacks the satisfying crispness of armature-based earphones and sounds all the more relaxed for it. Harshness is also imperceptible to my ears all the way up into the treble. The treble itself is very clear and detailed but rather gentle as far as analytical earphones go. I remember the RE0 being quite effortless and energetic when it comes to treble reproduction and the RE-ZERO doesn’t really make me feel quite the same way – it is more like the RE252 in that regard. An interesting side effect is that the RE-ZERO is affected less strongly by the treble-taming qualities of open-cell (e.g. Comply) foam tips – welcome news for those who find silicone cushions offensive.

In terms of presentation, the RE-ZERO is again as competent as the RE0 but doesn’t quite run with the top-tier big boys. Its soundstage is only slightly bigger than average and while it does convey both intimacy and space well, it is not the best earphone for those who must be able to pinpoint the source of every sound in the soundscape. The somewhat relaxed presentation of the RE-ZEROs results in relatively hazy positioning despite good overall separation. One last thing to note is that I don’t consider the tonality of the RE-ZERO impeccably realistic compared to truly high-end sets – it reminds me a bit of a grayscale image in that regard – all of the detail is present and everything is instantly recognizable and yet confusing it with reality would take an effort.

Value (10/10) – The Head-Direct RE-ZERO is not an up-and-out upgrade over the legendary RE0. Instead, it is a somewhat more versatile take on the same design with a new-but-not-unfamiliar angle on the Head-Direct house sound. So what does the extra $20 buy over the RE0? Well there’s the obvious – pretty silver shells and a spot in the limited 1000-unit run of the earphone. There’s also the lower impedance, which reduces the power dependence of the earphones, if only slightly, and of course the possibility of running the IEMs in balanced mode should such an opportunity arise. Most important, however, is the sound signature. The RE-ZERO is clearly not designed to appeal to current RE0 owners as an upgrade. Those who were unimpressed with the RE0 or RE252 should probably keep away from the RE-ZERO as well. However, anyone who’s ever heard the RE0 and found them to be slightly too energetic or even piercing at the top or a bit too thin or laid-back in the midrange should like the RE-ZERO more. New users should likewise choose between the two sound signatures but keep in mind that the differences between the two earphones are quite minute.

Pros: Top-tier sound quality for mid-fi money; compatible with balanced amps/sources
    Cons: Sound signature not for everyone, TRS adapter required for use with most 3.5mm jacks

I have the re-zero's little brother (re0) for a while now and it's a tough cookie. Very nice highs but it falls down for isolation which might be a problem in a busy bus.

It's a toss up whether you could live with the re-zero's adapters and lower isolation or go with the more convenient to use etymotic mc5 that inserts deep into your ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i think the mc5's might be the best all rounder - thanks for the reply

Advertisement