Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop rice sticking to the wok?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I have a wok that I bought in Dunnes about a year or two ago, it wasn't very expensive, about €12 at most I think. However anytime I try to fry rice on it, the rice sticks almost immediately.

This happens regardless of whether I steam it or boil it. I heard once that rice fry's the best when it's cold, however cooking it and letting it go cold just so it won't stick to the wok is a very long-winded procedure. Besides, I'm pretty sure they don't do that in the takeaway!

So how do I fry rice without it sticking to the wok? Do I need a new wok? If so, what type? I normally use olive oil but I suspect the oil is not the issue here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

sounds like you need to "season" your wok. there are various methods, google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love To Cook

G-Money wrote: »
    I have a wok that I bought in Dunnes about a year or two ago, it wasn't very expensive, about €12 at most I think. However anytime I try to fry rice on it, the rice sticks almost immediately.

This happens regardless of whether I steam it or boil it. I heard once that rice fry's the best when it's cold, however cooking it and letting it go cold just so it won't stick to the wok is a very long-winded procedure. Besides, I'm pretty sure they don't do that in the takeaway!

So how do I fry rice without it sticking to the wok? Do I need a new wok? If so, what type? I normally use olive oil but I suspect the oil is not the issue here.

Thanks!

What type of rice do you use? If it is a very starchy one like basmati it will need to be very slightly undercooked then drained and rinsed well in boiling water. Drain well and fluff up with a fork before adding to the (fairly) hot wok which has a little oil in it.

I find that you couldn't stick uncle ben's regular long grain rice if you tried!:)

Also, a wok does need to be 'seasoned' fairly often.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Old rice works best, cook it the night before and leave in the fridge once cooled. Stop using olive oil in the wok, it will never reach a high enough temperature to cook food properly in a wok, use vegetable oil or sunflower, or peanut oil if you want to be true to asian cooking. Definitely season the wok, it can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

G-Money wrote: »
    Yeah you bet chinese takeaways use left over steamed rice from the previous days to make fried rice. Fried rice is all about using up left overs. The rice has to be cold and dry or they will stick. Moisture in the rice is bad. It will turn to mush. Dry cold rice and hot wok will caramelize the rice when being stir fried.
    Olive oil has too low a smoking point. You want your wok very hot and you need to use oil with a high smoking point like peanut oil.

The high temperature used in good restaurants with a seasoned carbon steel wok is what gives it the flavour. Home cookers can't get hot fast enough to do a stir fry like in takeaway/restaurant. I doubt the cheap woks from dunnes are carbon steel ones that merits seasoning. So it's all doom and gloom from the get go :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement