Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wage for relief milker

• 29-11-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

whats the average going rate for a milk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how many cows, is it just milking or feeding aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

72 eruo a day 100 on Sunday with farm relief

really ? they have brought their prices down so, is that what the farmer pays or what the worker gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Local lad around us does it for 25 regardless of herd size

so what would be an average daily rate? from 7am to 6pm with 1.5hrs off during the day? 2 milkings ,feeding etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Id be sayin 10 euros an hour, maybe more for a lad whos fairly good and knows his stuff. Its hard to get good lads who you know will have everything done right when ur not there, they are worth paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

its what im paying

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

whelan lets say 60 cows and feed the calves, 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening?

im getin €35 for the above/ 5 unit milking palour!!

i pay €40 for 150 cows in the summer and 120 in the winter, small bit of feeding also, but i am normally around most of the time- defeats the purpose really:cool: 15 unit parlour with acrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

rs8 wrote: »
    whelan lets say 60 cows and feed the calves, 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening?

is that 35 for both morning and evening most lads i know would be getting 50 euro for the two milkings and feeding the calves and they wouldnt be traveling to far either ,there is a lot of responsibility milking cows make sure your getting paid enough for it

• Advertisement

no that would be for one milk so €70 for the day

think you are being well paid tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

17.50 an hour? thats better than I get paid working in a lab! actually thats as good as my overtime rate!!!:(

wonder how much tax is paid on the €70?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

that might be a decent wage , especially if your getting paid cash but its important to remember , when the farm relief send out someone to milk cows , they dont charge per hour , they charge per cow after a certain number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

whelan1 wrote: »

make sure casual labour is being paid out of farm account and not your own pocket and after that let them worry about what (if any) tax they pay.

less of that whelan icon12.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

€40-€50 per milking would be what I'd get which would include feeding any calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

give the part time lad €10/hr 6 till 6 and 6 -7 spring.
    milk, feed calves, calvings, check stock, do cubicles. tractor work, maintaince.
    more or less expected to do the same as every one else. maybe at a different pace though.

refuse point blank to pay some one cash in hand for labour

wclarke20 wrote: »
    €40-€50 per milking would be what I'd get which would include feeding any calves.
    how many cows? i give €96 per day from 7-6 with 1.5 hrs off after tax has been paid- - 3 day week....

• Advertisement

its plenty - or too much- if you are claiming aswell:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

some lads are getting a great wage alright. i used to work part time on a 250 cow farm and i got 25 per milking which included feeding the calves, scraping down the yard after and locking in all the cows, have a gawk around for signs of bulling. and i was damn glad to get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thats interesting

Tis rare I post here but just had to on this one. Fair play to anyone getting a good wages for milking someone else's cows. Kinda get the feeling round here that paying people less is a good thing. I disagree. As farmers I think we are very lucky people. Sure we don't get that many weekends off but....we live near work, we choose our own salary to a certain extent (within the confines of the EU and the market), we have very little stress compared to other jobs and we are our own boss.
    So when someone works for us they should be paid fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

there's a big difference too between having labour who will come in and do the job with no real interest and motivation and having labour who will come at a minutes notice, work extra hours when needed and look after your gear / yard as if it were their own. fair play to anyone who can get these kind of workers while paying the least possible and being stingy with them .. it doesn't happen around here anyway.

you also get the people who turn up drunk, dont give a fook and still expect €50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

just as there is different rates of pay quoted here there is also a big variation in the quantity and quality of work carried out by these operators so to say someone is stingy may not be the case.
    it doesn't happen around here [url]anyway:D:D:D[/url]

Is that with you or in Cork?

how many cows? i give €96 per day from 7-6 with 1.5 hrs off after tax has been paid- - 3 day week....

About 100 - 120 cows depending on the time of year. This is just for weekend milkings by the way.

Agree with the other posters. If you're away for a weekend its great having someone you can trust who will look after the place well and sort anything else that pops up.

you also get the people who turn up drunk, dont give a fook and still expect €50!

Ah sure who hasn't milked a few cows with a hangover and slurped the water from the hose in the parlour!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

thats great money for relief milking, I think its €20 I charge for milking ~80. 2hrs start to finish

• Advertisement

aidanki wrote: »
    thats great money for relief milking, I think its €20 I charge for milking ~80. 2hrs start to finish

I would consider that the very lowest end of the scale. I relief milked for close to ten yrs but when back to it last year part time at weekends to pay for a wedding!

I was always given at least €35 per milking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

wclarke20 wrote: »
    Ah sure who hasn't milked a few cows with a hangover and slurped the water from the hose in the parlour!! :D:D

hahaha, many a morning milking spent with the hose in the gob!

i think it depends on what kind of relief work you're talking about. If you wanted someone just to get the milking done, and maybe throw a sup of milk out to the calves in the shed, its best to get a local teenager from the area and give him about 25 quid for it (we'll say ~80 cow herd). some might argue it depends on parlour size and all that but for 1.5 to 2 hours work 25 is plenty. you wont find many part time jobs that pay more than 10 quid an hour for what is essentially an easy enough job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

30 euro for a neighbour while he was on hols 80ish cows. Dont do it that often bit of a pain wen you have your own to milk too:p

Advertisement