Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to borrow eBooks from Fingal Libraries?

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

We received a flyer through the door recently saying that soon (September 2011) ebooks would be available to borrow from Fingal libraries. Since that time I haven't heard anything more about it since - and couldn't find any more details on the Fingal Co. Co. site, or Fingal Libraries facebook page.

The little details I could find said to install the Overdrive Media Console and find Fingal libraries. Unfortunately, it only seems to have Dun Laoighre/Rathdown, Kildare and Waterford libraries (and a bunch from Northern Ireland).

Has anyone been able to get this set up correctly to be able to borrow a few eBooks from Fingal? It would certainly make the commute that little bit more interesting to be able to keep up with a huge selection of books :)

Thanks in advance.
    F.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

This might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This might help.
    Hi Mountjoy Mugger,

Thanks for that, that's useful and I will look into that too, but talks about Audiobooks rather than eBooks. The eBooks I understood were digital copies of the print books that you could read on your iPhone, iPad, PC, etc.

I found an online copy of the pamphlet that came through the door - see page 7 here where it talks about from Mid-September, to download eBooks from anywhere at any time.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any tips or info on how to get this working for eBooks

Cheers,
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

As far as I'm aware there is a hitch with rolling out eBooks in the Fingal Libraries. There was an announcement made on their Facebook page about this a few months ago. I've just searched back a month and can't find it but I know it hasn't been released yet.

They also ran a competition for an eReader to launch the service but the winner wasn't announced either I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Eoineo wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware there is a hitch with rolling out eBooks in the Fingal Libraries. There was an announcement made on their Facebook page about this a few months ago. I've just searched back a month and can't find it but I know it hasn't been released yet.

This is correct. There is an issue that is not on the library side. We haven't been given a date yet but are assured it is coming.
    They also ran a competition for an eReader to launch the service but the winner wasn't announced either I don't think.

The winner was a Blanchardstown borrower and it was announced on the facebook page.

Also, it should be noted that at present the ebooks won't be compatible with Kindles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Chinafoot wrote: »

This is correct. There is an issue that is not on the library side. We haven't been given a date yet but are assured it is coming.

The winner was a Blanchardstown borrower and it was announced on the facebook page.

Also, it should be noted that at present the ebooks won't be compatible with Kindles.
    Thanks I missed the announcement on the competition. I wonder why they won't be kindle compatible?

• Advertisement

Thanks I missed the announcement on the competition. I wonder why they won't be kindle compatible?

Well Kindle is an amazon product designed for Amazon ebooks. There has only very recently been an agreement reached in the US between Amazon and OverDrive to make the library ebooks Kindle compatible so, of course, it hasn't been rolled out globally yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never used an ebook from a library, although my college has some in its system. I presume that you can't borrow them indefinitely and they would expire after a period of time unless you renewed them, is this how the Fingal ebooks will work?

Calibre might be able to offer some options re these ebooks, but I won't say any more in case that's dodgy re DRM, etc.

Black Oil wrote: »
    I've never used an ebook from a library, although my college has some in its system. I presume that you can't borrow them indefinitely and they would expire after a period of time unless you renewed them, is this how the Fingal ebooks will work?
    From my understanding, you will borrow them for a fixed time (e.g. 21 days) and it will expire after that point and be 'returned' to the library, but there's no limit to the number of times you can borrow a book.

p.s. Thanks Chinafoot for the update. I'm really looking forward to this rolling out in Fingal, as I don't often have time to physically get down to the library it will be a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Does anyone know if this will work with the nook? I managed to get myself and my wife one each for Christmas.

Khannie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this will work with the nook? I managed to get myself and my wife one each for Christmas.

As far as I know it will. I'll double check for you though :)

The ebooks will be in ePub format so should work with any ereader that supports that format.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »

Hi Khannie,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I'm a forgetful tool sometimes :) Anyway the Nook should have no problems at all.

Basically any eReader that supports the ePub format will be fine.

Some good news - it seems like this should be available soon.
    eBooks coming soon-useful information and compatible devices

Fingal’s eBook lending service should be available early in the New Year. Everything is ready to go – stock selected/purchased and website designed and populated, just one more step to be completed. Don't buy an ereader for Christmas until you check this out http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/ for a list of compatible devices. url=http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Library/]Link[/url

Hi All,

Just to bring this thread to a close. The service is now live and is very good - there is quite a decent selection and it is only likely to grow. Well done all at Fingal Libraries.

F.
    Fingal County Libraries launch eBook service
    Best-selling and classic titles available anytime, anywhere

As and from February 13, 2012, Fingal County Libraries will expand its services with a new eBook service available to download from the library’s website. Library card holders can check out and download digital media anytime, anywhere by visiting our eBook page

Users may browse the library’s website, check out with a valid library card and PIN number, and download to PC, Mac®, and many mobile devices. Users will need to install free software. To read eBooks, users will need Adobe® Digital Editions. Titles can be enjoyed immediately or transferred to a variety of devices, including iPod®, Sony® Reader™, and many others. Titles will automatically expire at the end of the lending period. There are no late fees!

eBook How to guide

Source: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Library/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They chose a DRM tool that wont run on open source operating systems (like mine). :/

edit: It does run through a windows emulator, I just hate when public services use tools like that which require a paid for, closed source operating system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone tried to borrow an e-book, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

No but I did get my pin the other day so will give it a go later today and let you know what the ease of use is like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

So finally got round to downloading the ebook.
    Handy enough for someone that is computer savvy but god help anyone else :rolleyes:
    It gives you the option of 14 or 21 days hire so not to bad.
    Does need more titles to be really made use of.

Advertisement