Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallys Bridge

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where it got it's name? Everyone seems to call it Sallys Bridge, but the official name everywhere is Parnell Bridge. It even says Parnell Bridge on it! Why? :confused:

Linky to location

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nearly sure it was due to a Lady of the night. I'll ask my mam later on she'll know the story. In 21 years living 5 mins from Sallys Bridge I've never once heard someone refer to it as Parnell Bridge.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ah, I knew gavin shels would get me an answer :D

All I could find online was some article about some guy, and it mentions that Parnell Bridge is known locally as Sallys Bridge.

And here:
    http://dublin.iwai.ie/grand.html
    If you scroll down to Parnell Bridge you can see the name plate:

gb302.jpg

Always good to help fellow Reds fan! :D

The name plate is clearly visible from the path along the canal.

Nearly sure it's Sallys Bridge due to a lady of the night, I will have a 100% answer by 11pm tonight.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's not far from where the Poddle crosses the canal. Could it be a variant of Salach / Saile, an alternative name for the Poddle?

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not far from where the Poddle crosses the canal. Could it be a variant of Salach / Saile, an alternative name for the Poddle?

The lady of the night thing could be a myth, never thought of that tbh. The Poddle runs into the Canal just behind the Mosque and the Bridge.

• Advertisement

Hold on, this could be the answer:
    http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?5353-Clanbrassil-St-info/page41&p=381862#post381862
    Did you know that Sally's Bridge isn't called after a girl, but after a farmer called John Sally, who had a farm where Clogher Road is now. Parnell Road is called after an ancestor of Charles Stewart who was a Director of the Grand Canal Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BeerNut wrote: »

What!?

Is this the same river featured in the popular folk ditty Weile Waile?

There was an old woman and she lived in the woods
    Weile weile waile
    Down by the river Saile

Where does the Poddle rise? Is there any woods along it's stretch, anything historical?

I never knew this!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've lived all my life in D6/8, and never knew any of this! Fascinating - keep the info coming!!!

Des wrote: »
    What!?

Is this the same river featured in the popular folk ditty Weile Waile?

Weile weile waile
    Down by the river Saile

Where does the Poddle rise? Is there any woods along it's stretch, anything historical?

I never knew this!

That song used to creep me out when I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The River Saile (known also as Weile Waile)
    The River Saile is believed to reference the Salach which is the local name given to the River Poddle in the city of Dublin. Salach is an Irish language word meaning filthy or unclean.[2]
    Child documented thirteen versions of the ballad, which he named the cruel mother. All have variations on the same theme, a leal maiden[3] giving birth to two children. The children are killed in different ways such as stabbing with a penknife, bound hand and feet and buried alive, or strangled
    Wiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Amazing, never knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wow!

Thanks for the info JC.

It is a kind of creepy song alright.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Des wrote: »
    Wow!

Thanks for the info JC.

It is a kind of creepy song alright.

never mind creepy, its horrible especially the Dubliners version with all the children singing in the background. I alway imagine they are dead children.

Ghost children are really scary

Advertisement