Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USS Cuchulain, NOW IN IRELAND!

Options
  • 29-11-2011 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

200px-Starfleet-logo.png

HELLO

My name is David Chapman I am a member of STARFLEET International, the International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc. I am delighted to say the STARFLEET is now expanding to Ireland with the opening of a new Chapter.

Starfleet was started in 1973 when John Bradbury and a group of Texas Star Trek fans formed the USS Enterprise, a Star Trek fan club. Soon membership had spread across the state and people wanted to start there own clubs based on the USS Enterprise. That was the birth of STARFLEET. Since those humble beginnings STARFLEET has spread to over 200 Chapters in 20 Regions on 4 continents with over 4,000 members.

STARFLEET is administrated by the headquarters located in North Carolina and is broken down into 20 geographical regions. Ireland, along with Briton is located in Region 20. Each Region has there own Chapters, Chapters take the fictional form of a star ship and have there own hierarchy and rank structure. As an example, all Chapters have a Captain who runs the club along with his/her command staff such as Department Heads and his/her Executive Officer. The Captain of a Chapter then reports to the Regional Coordinator and the Admiralty about the activities of his/her Chapter.

What do we do?

STARFLEET Chapters are either correspondence or meeting, this means that either they stay in touch with each other or they actually meet up once a month. The first Irish Chapter will be a meeting chapter and will get together at least once a month. Meetings can be anything from going for a game of bowling together or doing some charity work for the community. STARFLEET has always been about the community and doing good, to help create that vision of living in peace, I hope to continue that tradition in Ireland. However that dose not mean we wont be having a great time together, above all else I hope that Irish members of STARFLEET will set the record for having the best “craic”.

I must point out that to join a Chapter you do not have to be a member of STARFLEET, however to hold a position of importance you do.

If you would like more information on STARFLEET International you can visit there site at:

www.sfi.org

OR you can contact me here by replying to this post or PMing me.

I will also be happy to answer any questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That link goes nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Chapman

My apologies, the link has been fixed.

Hello People

I have had some people asking me a few questions regarding the Chapter, such as:
    1. Whats the Point?
    2. What do you do?
    3. What do I need to buy?

To answer the first question, the whole point of the Chapter and SFI is to have fun and help the community. I know that voluntary work and all that sounds boring, hard and pointless. I felt the same way, however one day I accidentally ended up doing a bit of charity work, it was only a collection for my local youth club and I actually ended up raising allot of money for them. In the end they raised enough to go to there variety show finals and I felt a great deal of joy knowing that I helped them get there, I also had a good bit of fun doing it as well.

Community work makes you feel good and it also brings us a step closer to having a world that is free of the poor, homeless and hungry. It may not seem like much, but its a start at least.

And for those people who would rather just have fun, don't worry, all events are voluntary. We plan to have a fun outing once a month, a few ideas we have are bowling, laser tag, movies, having a bite to eat or maybe just going for a social drink. Not to mention attending Trek or Sci-Fi events together.

Although the above sort of answers question 2, its not all we do. We also plan to do a few projects as a group, maybe even host our own events. Chapter projects are really up to the members, so nothing is set in stone yet. Any member can propose a fun project or even suggest a meet up somewhere.

To answer the third question, nothing. There is no commitment, we work on donations to keep us going as a Chapter. To join SFI it costs 20 dollars, however you don't need to be a member to join the Chapter, only to hold the positions of Captain, Executive Officer, Financial Officer. Some members (myself included) like to get uniforms, although not required, they do have a purpose, i'm not going to go into much detail about that as this message is getting long enough and its up to you.

Thanks for reading, if you have your own question please message me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nj252

Calling all Star Trek fans in Ireland who would be interested in setting up a chapter in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackwolf

Hi I live in ballyhaunis count me in

• Advertisement

Good News

STARFLEET in Ireland now has a new website!

Visit us at http://www.wix.com/starfleet20/sfi-in-ireland and have a look around. It's still in the early stages and missing a lot of content, however the recruitment page is ready with some information and a application form. Also the comms page is now functioning with a new chat client for members and the public. More content is being added over the next few days so please check back now and then for updates, in the mean time I hope you enjoy the site.

If you find any problems please e-mail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

These days, I look more like Scotty from the episode Star Trek TNG episode Relics, but I'm in Swinford so count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jamdar

this is great news keep us posted!

starfleetirelandlogosma.jpg
    patchartwork.jpg

By order of STARFLEET Department of Technical Service
    STARFLEET in Ireland
    has been changed to:
    USS Cuchulain - NX 61922
    Saber Class

Yes, it is official. STARFLLET in Ireland is on the path to becoming a full Chapter of STARFLEET International and has been approved the name USS Cuchulain NX-61922.

With this news I am delighted to announce the launch of our new website: www.usscuchulain.com

We can also be contacted on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/USS-Cuchulain-NX-61922/301116973255474
    Or on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/USS_Cuchulain

The Chapter has come along way since my initial post on Boards.ie some time ago. Membership is growing and our members are getting active within the Chapter, we are also planning our first Chapter meet-up / Commissioning Ceremony. I would like to thank my crew for all the great work they have put in so far and I would like to thank the public and members of Boards.ie for there interest and support.

Stay tuned for more info and updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A Sabre class? Pfft, we could at least gotten a Defiant class :p

• Advertisement

Ahh, don't underestimate our little Saber. Her armaments are impressive for such a small vessel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

ehh, two n's in Cúchulainn

found this could serve as a great ships motto,

A James Joyce quote About Cuchulainn

'I care not if I live but a day and a night, so long as my deeds live after me.”
    ― James Joyce

Goldstein wrote: »

It'll have to be recommissioned now :D

Goldstein wrote: »

Actually, there are numerous variations of the spelling of Cuchulain, the one you are referring to is one of the Irish variations. Although you are rite in saying that there are two n's in Cúchulainn, you are going on the presumption that I was trying to spell it in the Irish variation. Thanks for pointing that out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just an FYI, that website (sfi.org) linked in the OP appears to have a virus.

Two different machines, two different AVs giving a virus warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Have fun finding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Actually, there are numerous variations of the spelling of Cuchulain, the one you are referring to is one of the Irish variations. Although you are rite in saying that there are two n's in Cúchulainn, you are going on the presumption that I was trying to spell it in the Irish variation. Thanks for pointing that out though.

It's an Irish word and you are using it in Ireland......therefore there is no "variation" as you put it. Only the Irish way of spelling it is accurate. Anything else is just incorrect.

And FYI, nowhere in the world is 'right' spelled as 'rite'.

Just an FYI, that website (sfi.org) linked in the OP appears to have a virus.

Two different machines, two different AVs giving a virus warning.

I dont know anything about this, but I will report it to STARFLEET Computer Operations. They run the site and will be able to investigate and hopefully fix the problem. My apologies on behalf of STARFLEET International.
    Kirby wrote: »
    It's an Irish word and you are using it in Ireland......therefore there is no "variation" as you put it. Only the Irish way of spelling it is accurate. Anything else is just incorrect.

And FYI, nowhere in the world is 'right' spelled as 'rite'.

According to Wikipedia, there are variations in the spelling and although it is an Irish word that I am using in Ireland, I have chosen to spell it in an English variation. I did this for a number of reasons, taking into consideration various factors and I stand by the decision.

And regarding my spelling of the word "right", you are correct, I made a mistake. I do not wish to discuss spelling anymore as I feel it is getting off topic. If you see an error please message me privately.

According to Wikipedia, there are variations in the spelling and although it is an Irish word that I am using in Ireland, I have chosen to spell it in an English variation. I did this for a number of reasons, taking into consideration various factors and I stand by the decision.

And regarding my spelling of the word "right", you are correct, I made a mistake. I do not wish to discuss spelling anymore as I feel it is getting off topic. If you see an error please message me privately.

I think at this point it's clear with need Klingon arbitration. I have sent a request to Qo'Nos, they assure me that a delegation has been dispatched to handle the problem.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think at this point it's clear with need Klingon arbitration. I have sent a request to Qo'Nos, they assure me that a delegation has been dispatched to handle the problem.

Haha, thank you. I'm sure they will handle the matter promptly. Regarding the virus on the SFI website, I have reported the complaint. Apparently they are aware of the situation and are currently working on correcting the issue. STARFLEET Computer Operations would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I have to ask why the NX prefix ?

jamdar wrote: »
    I have to ask why the NX prefix ?

The NX prefix is to distinguished us as a Chapter in training, so we are basically experimental. Once we have completed the 9 month shakedown cruise and become a fully fledged Chapter within SFI we will be given the prefix NCC as well as being updated to Active status. I hope this answers your question.

hi guys,

did a quick mock up for the ships dedication plaque. I picked a random quote from Oscar Wilde seems to fit also the ships launch date is wrong (i have no idea what it is?) I did some research where the saber class was build it was one of the fleet yards I found.
    feed back would be great! I made it into a .psd file so every thing can be changed.

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BaileMhic

captain chapman is right - there's numerous spellings for cúchulainn - tbh, i have no idea if any of them are the "official" spelling anymore. I play for a gaa club called cuchulainns, but not even we know whats "right" or "wrong" spelling as i dont think there is a right or wrong spelling for it - altho I've very rarely seen it spelled with 1l & 1n - I've often seen it spelled with 1l & 2ns, 2ls & 1n, 2ls & 2ns, and also as either 1 or 2 words for each of those 3 variations.

all i know for sure if that there should definitely be a fada on the u - unless you want to completely anglicise the poor fella - then again, gaelic spelling back in those days may have been quite different to modern day irish. who knows.

all i can tell you is that the books i had growing up spelled it like this - Cúchulainn.

Advertisement