Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what celebs have you met and what were they like?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Bernard Dunne - comes across as being right up his own arse.
    John Joe Nevin - very shy, nervous of people but genuine and sound.
    Des Bishop - arrogant.
    Tommy Tiernan - very friendly and down to earth.
    Francis Black - lovely woman, so serene.
    Glen Hansard - met him loads of times, always sound.
    Brendan Gleeson - super bloke and stops dead in his tracks when someone approaches him and gives them time (from what I seen anyway)
    Colin Farrell - met him once and he gives 100% attention to you when chatting and is just as you would expect him to be if you've ever seen his interviews.
    Duff McKagan - massively down to earth and so appreciative and respectful to fans.
    Bronagh Gallagher - great fun, very chatty and tiny (no, I mean TINY! :))
    Tarantino - wouldn't sign an autograph but I wasn't too bothered as I knew he hardly if ever does them and he was otherwise friendly.
    Gaybo - met him a few times and always a gent and another who gives you full attention.
    Al Pacino - (save the best 'till last) I lost the plot and forgot how to speak but managed to say 'Welcome to Dublin Al' and he gripped my hand and gave me the warmest small and said: "Thank you, thank you - well, it's a pleasure to be back".

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

ICANN wrote: »
    I live in London but I've never met any famous people. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't recognise anyone in real life!!

Ha.. love that comment. You are not missing much and I imagine you are having more fun meeting 'real people'

A celebrity should surely be someone who has done something quite remarkable, wonderful and noteworthy, using real talent/expertise/brains, whatever, but what actually passes as 'celebrity' now can be almost anybody who has managed to somehow get themselves on TV, whether demeaning themselves in reality shows or whatever. It seems they will go to any lengths just to be recognized on the street. They crave continued approval and adoration and this goes sadly for some of those who are already successful.

Of course there are some really kind, totally and genuine people out there who are in the public domain, but the nicest and most talented ones do not seek out attention and keep their private lives as private as possible.

I guess our definition of celebrity has changed somewhat and perhaps it needs to be clarified before we lose the run of ourselves!

Just lighthearted banter and not to be taken seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Met George Hook yesterday after an outside broadcast in Limerick city. Really nice and spent plenty of time with chatting away to people who asked for autographs and photos.

Now I won't be able to listen to Gift Grub's Dr Hooky sex show sketches without feeling really weird! :-o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Met George Hook yesterday after an outside broadcast in Limerick city. Really nice and spent plenty of time with chatting away to people who asked for autographs and photos.

Now I won't be able to listen to Gift Grub's Dr Hooky sex show sketches without feeling really weird! :-o

Yeah he was way nicer than I thought he would be. An absoulte gent, met him at a Newstalk OB and he stayed on signing autographs and chatting to everyone for ages afterwards, lovely man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Kevin Bridges whilst at work over the week-end; Aaargh! I am so going to miss this guy! What a Gent! Just an absolute sweetheart :) He is funny, polite, gorgeous and swit swoo! Just my kinda man.

Adding in the other 20 Scottish lads who were with him and it was one seriously hard-to-beat week-end at my full-time work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

karaokeman wrote: »
    I met and spotted a few celebs but you can't really say whether or not they were nice because that is kind of expected if you are in the public eye. Most famous people will try and act nice around their fans but thats just because they don't want their reputation spoiled, hence why I posted that thread in AH a while back and not here.

I met Nadine Coyle and Shane Filan of Girls Aloud and Westlife respectively. Both were really nice, let me get photos and all that. Nadine was particularly cool as she seemed to be in no rush, like any other stars with album signings I went to.

Also met JLS, Wonderland and Jedward all seemed to be in a hurry to get through the crowd but I'd imagine they would've been decent enough if they had time to speak with everyone.

Also met Ryan Tubridy recently at Saint Vincent de Paul house in Dublin, sound enough guy and I'm saying this at a push seen as how I only met him for a minute. He took time to get photos with most of the crowd and it wasn't difficult because there was only like 30 of us in the room, I didn't bother asking him for his autograph as I don't really care too much for autographs anymore.

Met Bill Cullen also who was a bit not living on Earth I should say. I just told him it should be great to be the first Irish astronaut and he was like "it will be great":P.

Noel Gallagher also walked past me and gave me a thumbs up when I turned up outside his gig at the Olympia in Dublin just last October. Still wish he signed for us but I think he was in a hurry back to his hotel to see the Man U/Man City match. Probably should've gone to the British gigs, I know from youtube videos he signed and met with fans there.

At Oxegen last year I met the Saw Doctors, Fox Avenue and a few more in the Hot Press signing tent, all were nice enough.

Saw Ronan Keating in Liffey Valley many years ago too but back then I had no clue who he was. It was on a school trip, the teacher I was with always used to run into celebrities.

I know this post is old but I wonder is Bill still planning his trip to space since his fall from grace ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DanceLover13

this is kind of a bit of bad one but the most famous person i have ever met is keith duffy in a restaurant in dublin years ago.... must say he was very friendly and had loads of time for everyone even though he was out for dinner with his family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭franglan

I was Martin Sheen's lab partner for a day when he was studying in NUIG. He did an Earth Science module plus English (we used to joke that he'll never get a job with that combo!) We used to be lab partners with who ever was sitting beside you on the day. Nice fella, just got on with his work and helped out where he could. He name was down as Ramón Estévez on the role call. Just your typical 60-something year old american guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

franglan wrote: »
    I was Martin Sheen's lab partner for a day when he was studying in NUIG. He did an Earth Science module plus English (we used to joke that he'll never get a job with that combo!) We used to be lab partners with who ever was sitting beside you on the day. Nice fella, just got on with his work and helped out where he could. He name was down as Ramón Estévez on the role call. Just your typical 60-something year old american guy.

That is soooo cool - Martin Sheen seems like a genuinely nice guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Never met anyone massively famous, but I've met a lot of comedians- Michael McIntyre was really lovely, a gent. Jon Richardson was really polite, Tommy Tiernan dead on, Adam Hills SO nice, a dote.

Des Bishop was alright but a bit moody. Karl Spain was one of the soundest people I've ever met.

I met Ray D'arcy and all the crew from his show, thought they were all fairly sound. Just normal people sure! Don't really know what people expect when they meet famous people, especially in Ireland where really "famous" isn't really all that.

And I met Ryan Tubridy who was bang on, quite funny actually.

Mary McAleese is a lovely lady too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement